Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Start the bidding on Sparkleberry Swamp

Phillip,

It is my understanding that the State can sell the business while retaining land ownership.
    That should be the only terms on the table anyway.

And others have mentioned S-C owned lands leased to DNR for WMAs, that’s a bit of a confusing area.
    S-C (state owned agency=state owned land) leasing land to SCDNR (state agency)......

So in actuality, the state is leasing land to itself for a specific purpose??
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Y'all would've it be one big swamp which was never reasonable and less and less desirable for the masses as time goes by. Santee has done a wonderful job balancing wildlife, utility needs, and recreation.

I pray you never get to see I'm right. It is truly something special.
    You keep on praying that prayer. I'll keep praying mine. You seem to be one of those guys that is more concerned about proving you're right than the matter at hand.

Santee has done a wonderful job at appeasing the "masses" you speak of, that's about it. And what's good for the masses isn't necessarily what's right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Best move for Santee Cooper would be to sell it before the dump site in Rimini leaks and contaminates the entire lake system.

Quote Originally Posted by NO FLY ZONE View Post
    Best move for Santee Cooper would be to sell it before the dump site in Rimini leaks and contaminates the entire lake system.
    Man has a point. Just a matter of time.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I don't have actual acres in front of me so don't quote the numbers. Santee owns about 25,000 acres around the lake that are mainly WMA's. About 2/3 are tied directly to FERC license. Those would stay with whomever owns the hydro permit.

FERC does not prevent the development of those properties.

Other properties, approximately 1/3, are not tied to FERC. Most of that land does not touch the water but are WMA.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    You keep on praying that prayer. I'll keep praying mine. You seem to be one of those guys that is more concerned about proving you're right than the matter at hand.

Santee has done a wonderful job at appeasing the "masses" you speak of, that's about it. And what's good for the masses isn't necessarily what's right.
    I promise the grass is the least of your problems if that property sells.

I'm on who's ever side that wants to retain the current status quo of the lake remaining "wild", unvarnished, and allowing SC residents to continue to have access to the lakes in its current format.

After we secure that we can resume our petty end fighting over grass.

Boggster, I agree it should not be on the table (the ability to sell), but the fact the governor said:“The governor would like for the landholdings – lakes and parks – to remain with the state and likely be transferred to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism,’’

That statement can be read a few different ways. The fact he would "like" seems to indicate that it is on the table in some form or fashion.
    So that begs the question,

DT while you all are pointing fingers and blaming folks for why the nuclear plant didn't happen can y'all at least create a bill that does what the governor wants?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I expect we set up a management company to efficiently manage Santee and use the savings to reduce rates. Selling Santee now would result in a fire sale that would not produce the maximum return for our citizens.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I agree it needs to stay wild!!!! And yes will resume the grass debate once we know we can still hunt and fish the lake without having to pay for access to the water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Keep it wild as in not stocking non native carp or spraying the natural vegetation!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I agree it needs to stay wild!!!! And yes will resume the grass debate once we know we can still hunt and fish the lake without having to pay for access to the water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Agreed!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot