Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hevi shot

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I have measured it personally. I can't find any claims from environmental. It's a rerelease of the old hevi steel as far as i can tell. I still shoot federal blue box in a 12 but once my supply of the old 9.9g hevi steel runs out I intend to shoot this in my 20
    Well maybe I got a bad batch or I'm gonna have to go back and measure again but I came up with about 8.7g/cc
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Steel 7.8 grm/cc
    Bis 9.6
    Tung Iron 10.3
    Tung Matrix 10.6
    Lead 11.1
    Hevi shot 12
    Itx 13
    Fed Hvy 15.3
    TSS 18

Hevi X of which I just returned a near entire case of #4s = after cutting 5 shells apart and analyzing against steel 4s , was on average of 5 shells, under charged by over 1/8th oz of listed charge. Density was as mentioned right at 8.7. Pellet size was all over the place and most of the pellets were deformed severely as well. Plenty of research done on it at Duck Chat under Reloading including pictures and data that coincides with exactly what I found, unfortunately this came about after I had bought the case and done my own breakdown.

G - unfortunately, one thing is for certain from my case / batch, it is not the replacement for the old Hevi Steel and I sooo wanted it to be..

If you do the math it comes out to less than 10% knockdown power, they advertise 40% and over. I wish they would get their act together. I am looking forward to Kents new Bismuth release in 25 round boxes but even then its still not lead.
    Last edited by Strick9; 01-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Back to the original question by the op, True Hevi shot kills and kills very well if you can afford to run it, do so, you won't be dissapointed. I believe Coot was thinking of the new Hevi Steel which is standard 7.8grm/cc.
    Genesis 9;2

Hevi-steel is quite funny to me. Hevi, it is not, that’s for damn sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"Go to Know\"

If you are shooting ducks at close range, use properly choked steel if you want. It doesn’t matter. If shooting at greater distances, pay the money for higher density shot. This pertains to a small percentage of folks because most can’t shoot and don’t know what their gun is doing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"Go to Know\"

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    hevi shot is more of a gimmick.
    This makes no sense. It's ballistically superior to steel cause it's like 30% denser. If you weren't killing birds with it than you weren't putting pellets on target.

Here's some reading for ya so I don't have to explain it. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/huntin...c-shot-shells/

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Hevi-shot is no joke. It keeps a tight pattern, and knocks ducks dead. Used to be nice when it was $20 a box. Now it’s $42 a box.
    I sorely miss the days of hevi-shot for $22/box.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    You get what you pay for. You spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on trips, you better not be buying steel shot from Wal-Mart. What’s a few hundred dollars more for a trip??
    It makes me chuckle how the common duck hunter will spend almost a thousand dollars or more on a gun, almost a hundred more on stamps/licenses, thousands more on a boat/motor, decoys, gear, dogs, etc, etc and then somehow justify shooting the cheapest steel they can find and be completely ok with losing 2 birds a hunt.

The one thing that sold me on HeviShot years ago was that I found myself not chasing cripples anymore. If I put pellets on target there was a dead duck somewhere. I used less shells for kill shots so it probably wasn't any more expensive than steel in the long run. Plus I more carefully considered my shots before pulling the trigger knowing that I was shooting $2/round.

I'm on a mission to start reloading my own ITX loads so I can kill ducks with my 16ga more. ITX is the same density as what Griffin is saying HeviX is. Not as dense as HS but still way denser than standard steel. ITX is no cheaper per shell to hand load than HeviX off a shelf but 16ga tungsten loads (other than HS Classic Doubles) ain't easy to find on shelves or mail order. Just gotta order the wads and pellets and get to loading.

Even the real deal HeviShot pellets for reloading won't save you much. Still looking at close to $4/round.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I aint gonna lie,my shooting isnt something to be proud of...Kinda like a fat chick compared to a moped,you wanna ride it but you dont want your friends to see.

I aint gonna lie,my shooting isnt something to be proud of...Kinda like a fat chick compared to a moped,you wanna ride it but you dont want your friends to see.
    Spend the extra money you use buying hevi shot at the nearest sporting clays facility between now and next duck season. Doesn't matter what kind of shot you use if you don't hit what you are shooting at. Better yet, if you can,get a good shooting coach and shoot a bunch.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 01-28-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX...ductinfo/TX06/

I like ITX (10) in 4 and 6 shot for my 28 ga duck loads primarily because it (and lil gun powder) will accurately drop in a mec 600jr. I’ve also used a roll crimp load with fiochi primed hulls with Alliant steel powder. Both recipes work well on ducks and and pheasants.

I’m going to order some this shot and give it a try.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sph...ductinfo/HW07/
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

True Hevishot is good stuff. It's not perfectly round but it hits hard. As mentioned, its worthless if you can't put it on target.

I would spend the money on getting a few lessons and pounding out a few flats of shells before investing in high priced shells with some gimmicky choke tube. You would be surprised what a lesson can do for you. What I see people doing at most gun clubs is completely wrong and self defeating. Not to mention the obvious sky busting I see in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX...ductinfo/TX06/

I like ITX (10) in 4 and 6 shot for my 28 ga duck loads primarily because it (and lil gun powder) will accurately drop in a mec 600jr. I’ve also used a roll crimp load with fiochi primed hulls with Alliant steel powder. Both recipes work well on ducks and and pheasants.

I’m going to order some this shot and give it a try.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sph...ductinfo/HW07/
    Loved the HS #6 loads as well. I crushed mallards and canvasbacks on a hunt one time. I was very impressed cause I didn't think pellets that small could hit that hard at 35-40 yards, but they did.

I've got a Sizemaster for my 12ga 2 3/4 duck loads and 600Jr I'm gonna set up for 12ga 3" loads. And another 600Jr for 16ga. I've been talking about it for a long time, it's time to put rubber to the road and get to reloading.

Thanks for the lead on that SpheroTungsten. I'll keep my eye on it since it still says "coming soon". I've been all over that site and never seen that stuff. And at 15 g/cc that's crazy dense! Like denser than the Hevi13 stuff HS makes. I know Environmetal has to make a profit and all, but it makes me wonder with the price of tungsten what it is how they can put that much T in it to get that density and still sell it at that price. Just doing some quick math here, with a 1 1/8 oz load you could get 71 shells out of a 5lb bag and the cost is just over $2/shell. All the other components usually only add up to a quarter or so, so you should be able to load that stuff at less than $2.25-$2.50/load, depending on what other components you're using. That's a price I can live with especially to save myself the hassle of chasing cripples. Interested in seeing the recipes the Curmudgeon comes up with for that stuff. Just hope he has some for Cheddite holds cause I've got lots of once fired HS hulls.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Lots of talk over that Sphero, Im curious about it as well but really like the looks of ITX 13.. At some point there has to be a high density cheap replacement for lead.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Lots of talk over that Sphero, Im curious about it as well but really like the looks of ITX 13.. At some point there has to be a high density cheap replacement for lead.
    I hope some metallurgy wizard somewhere finds a new dense metal that's non toxic and cheaper to mine. Until then, I think we're stuck with Tungsten as our only high-density alternative to lead. And they keep telling us how expensive. I'd be willing to guess these pigs are just getting fatter. The fact that someone can come in with a product like SpheroT that's denser and cheaper shows me there might be hope just yet.

HeviShot @ $76.99/2lb bag= $38.50/lb

ITX 13@ 47.59/1.5lb= $31.73/lb

SpheroT @ $150/5lb= $30/lb. Plus it's 2g/cc denser than the ITX13 and about 4 g/cc denser than HS

SpheroT is a no brainer.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Willy,how hard was the learning curve to reload shells? How did your reloaded shells pattern.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 01-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I hope some metallurgy wizard somewhere finds a new dense metal that's non toxic and cheaper to mine. Until then, I think we're stuck with Tungsten as our only high-density alternative to lead.

It’s all right here

Willy,how hard was the learning curve to reload shells? How did your reloaded shells pattern.
    Couldn't tell ya. I haven't loaded the first shell yet. Done a lot of research and gathering of presses and some supplies but haven't actually put it all together. I really need someone to learn from as I know my equipment will need some tweaking to get the crimps just right and the wads pushed down to the right depths, etc.

I'm probably making it way more complicated in my mind than it really is.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    It’s all right here

I think you need to go back to boats forum....

It's not that hard. If you can, contact someone that knows about reloading shotshell and ask them what to buy. That will save you a lot of trouble. Reloading tungsten is not the same as loading lead so do your research on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Spend the extra money you use buying hevi shot at the nearest sporting clays facility between now and next duck season. Doesn't matter what kind of shot you use if you don't hit what you are shooting at. Better yet, if you can,get a good shooting coach and shoot a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    True Hevishot is good stuff. It's not perfectly round but it hits hard. As mentioned, its worthless if you can't put it on target.

I would spend the money on getting a few lessons and pounding out a few flats of shells before investing in high priced shells with some gimmicky choke tube. You would be surprised what a lesson can do for you. What I see people doing at most gun clubs is completely wrong and self defeating. Not to mention the obvious sky busting I see in the field.
    I am in no way trying to be insulting. You referenced your own shooting, and i believe these two posts are the best advice you’ve gotten in this thread. Some great ballistics info from knowledgeable guys, but for your purposes i think this is the best investment. Probably more time than money.

I killed the piss out of big ducks, divers, and geese alike with #2 and #4 Monarch shells from Academy this season. $8.99
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 01-28-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Gander you or anyone else know of a coach in the Charleston vicinity you can refer me to? Been shooting on the air force base club while I'm down there on duty and I've been hitting 21-23 per round consistently and seem to have plateaued. did 24 once. I want to see if there's some things I can do to improve and I've been meaning to seek out some lessons to continue progressing.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]