Thread: Hevi shot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Willy,how hard was the learning curve to reload shells? How did your reloaded shells pattern.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 01-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    Willy,how hard was the learning curve to reload shells? How did your reloaded shells pattern.
    Couldn't tell ya. I haven't loaded the first shell yet. Done a lot of research and gathering of presses and some supplies but haven't actually put it all together. I really need someone to learn from as I know my equipment will need some tweaking to get the crimps just right and the wads pushed down to the right depths, etc.

I'm probably making it way more complicated in my mind than it really is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

It's not that hard. If you can, contact someone that knows about reloading shotshell and ask them what to buy. That will save you a lot of trouble. Reloading tungsten is not the same as loading lead so do your research on that too.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Spend the extra money you use buying hevi shot at the nearest sporting clays facility between now and next duck season. Doesn't matter what kind of shot you use if you don't hit what you are shooting at. Better yet, if you can,get a good shooting coach and shoot a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    True Hevishot is good stuff. It's not perfectly round but it hits hard. As mentioned, its worthless if you can't put it on target.

I would spend the money on getting a few lessons and pounding out a few flats of shells before investing in high priced shells with some gimmicky choke tube. You would be surprised what a lesson can do for you. What I see people doing at most gun clubs is completely wrong and self defeating. Not to mention the obvious sky busting I see in the field.
    I am in no way trying to be insulting. You referenced your own shooting, and i believe these two posts are the best advice you’ve gotten in this thread. Some great ballistics info from knowledgeable guys, but for your purposes i think this is the best investment. Probably more time than money.

I killed the piss out of big ducks, divers, and geese alike with #2 and #4 Monarch shells from Academy this season. $8.99
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 01-28-2018 at 04:36 PM.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

OK, I know that you asked WW, but if I may, I would like to interject that shotshell loading is not difficult at all, but you need to stick exactly to the recipe's. Extrapolation can get you into trouble, and with non-compressible shot.....big trouble very quickly. Start with a Sizemaster, and don't even think of loading without a scale to verify all weights. You will be surprised at the quality shells that you can load. You will see how shot hardness, wad compression, load speed, and powder burn rate will all affect pattern density. You will also learn that much of the super whamodyne choke tube market is nothing more than snake oil sold to folks who don't know the basics of shotgunning. Just by changing a load, you can make a factory modified choke, pattern I/C or near full. You will also see that the effect of shot speed on a 90 degree crossing target is VERY small......etc.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-30-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.