Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hevi shot

I don't make it down to Backwoods very often but I would call them and schedule a lesson with John Michael. He gets it and can help you work out the bugs. It will be the best money you can spend.

Appreciate the information. My time spent at the range has paid dividends in the field these last couple seasons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    Willy,how hard was the learning curve to reload shells? How did your reloaded shells pattern.
    OK, I know that you asked WW, but if I may, I would like to interject that shotshell loading is not difficult at all, but you need to stick exactly to the recipe's. Extrapolation can get you into trouble, and with non-compressible shot.....big trouble very quickly. Start with a Sizemaster, and don't even think of loading without a scale to verify all weights. You will be surprised at the quality shells that you can load. You will see how shot hardness, wad compression, load speed, and powder burn rate will all affect pattern density. You will also learn that much of the super whamodyne choke tube market is nothing more than snake oil sold to folks who don't know the basics of shotgunning. Just by changing a load, you can make a factory modified choke, pattern I/C or near full. You will also see that the effect of shot speed on a 90 degree crossing target is VERY small......etc.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-30-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

It’s no gimmick.

I am down to may last case of federal heavyweight waterfowl #6’s, they are saved for special hunts now. Deadliest duck load ever created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    You would be surprised what a lesson can do for you. What I see people doing at most gun clubs is completely wrong and self defeating.
    This is the truth. Most men think they're born with shooting skills.

I was invited to hunt with a friend and his boys a few weeks back and after we hunted, we went to Backwoods. And as always, it turned into a 4 hour shooting lesson. I never say anything until someone asks for help. As it turns out, one of the boys has been to Backwoods and shot with an instructor there. But he wasn't able to apply what he had previously learned. And he didn't want to listen...at least not until he missed so many targets that he got embarrassed and wasn't having fun anymore. Same for his buddy. That guy had no concept of how to even hold a shotgun, but he made comments earlier in the day that he had occasionally shot "skeet".

One of the first things I have to convince "hunters" of is that starting the gun closer to their shoulder isn't cheating. For some reason, hunters/nonshooters view premounting (starting the gun in the shoulder) or starting the gun close to the shoulder as cheating. And by cheating, I mean, by and large, they think they should start the gun at their belt buckle in order to simulate a hunting situation. In the process of applying this misplaced low gun virtue, they miss a lot of targets.

Another fun and very common habit of the "hunter" at the sporting clays course is to premount their gun and point it down as they call for the bird. Its sort of a quasi-military way of holding a shotgun. This is not quite as bad as starting at their belt buckle, but the outcome is similar.

Once I get them past these particular recipes for missing, the next is convincing them to start their eyes and hands in the correct place for the first target, and then, how and where to transition their eyes and hands for the second target. Using the analogy of hitting a baseball, you don't look at the first basemen and start the bat down at your side when the pitcher begins his wind up. And like I said earlier, in a lot of cases, we have to completely realign everything the shooter is doing from foot position to posture. This is an awkward and traumatic thing for a guy who fell out of his momma with finely tuned marksmanship skills.

These things I'm talking about are fundamentals of shooting and people who aren't involved in clay target shooting know almost nothing about them. If you had to assess your shooting proficiency, how would you score yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being very poor and 10 being excellent?
    Last edited by Fish; 02-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sportin' woodies View Post
    figured you would have been a ten.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Hev E EXXXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I missed a dove last late season

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I still shoot federal blue box in a 12 but once my supply of the old 9.9g hevi steel runs out I intend to shoot this in my 20
    All i shoot is blue box. Good stuff
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    This is the truth. Most men think they're born with shooting skills.

I was invited to hunt with a friend and his boys a few weeks back and after we hunted, we went to Backwoods. And as always, it turned into a 4 hour shooting lesson. I never say anything until someone asks for help. As it turns out, one of the boys has been to Backwoods and shot with an instructor there. But he wasn't able to apply what he had previously learned. And he didn't want to listen...at least not until he missed so many targets that he got embarrassed and wasn't having fun anymore. Same for his buddy. That guy had no concept of how to even hold a shotgun, but he made comments earlier in the day that he had occasionally shot "skeet".

One of the first things I have to convince "hunters" of is that starting the gun closer to their shoulder isn't cheating. For some reason, hunters/nonshooters view premounting (starting the gun in the shoulder) or starting the gun close to the shoulder as cheating. And by cheating, I mean, by and large, they think they should start the gun at their belt buckle in order to simulate a hunting situation. In the process of applying this misplaced low gun virtue, they miss a lot of targets.

Another fun and very common habit of the "hunter" at the sporting clays course is to premount their gun and point it down as they call for the bird. Its sort of a quasi-military way of holding a shotgun. This is not quite as bad as starting at their belt buckle, but the outcome is similar.

Once I get them past these particular recipes for missing, the next is convincing them to start their eyes and hands in the correct place for the first target, and then, how and where to transition their eyes and hands for the second target. Using the analogy of hitting a baseball, you don't look at the first basemen and start the bat down at your side when the pitcher begins his wind up. And like I said earlier, in a lot of cases, we have to completely realign everything the shooter is doing from foot position to posture. This is an awkward and traumatic thing for a guy who fell out of his momma with finely tuned marksmanship skills.

These things I'm talking about are fundamentals of shooting and people who aren't involved in clay target shooting know almost nothing about them. If you had to assess your shooting proficiency, how would you score yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being very poor and 10 being excellent?
    I dont shoot clays with certain people because of some the exact reasons you mentioned
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Fish,
    Late to the conversation and probably pointless but I am one of the "hunters" who shot sporting clays and did so from port arms and safety on till the gun hits my shoulder. I was brought up bird hunting and conditioned that way. Reason given was when walking in on a covey rise you might just get your feet tangled up in vines or such etc. and shoot someone or the dog by accident. When we shot sporting clays we mimicked hunting, I guess viewed it as practice. I broke around 35 of 50 on the several courses I've shot. No idea if that is good or average but it was high for the groups I was in. I will say I'm probably a 6.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I shot the Hevi X in AR a couple of weeks ago and impressive is an understatement.
    I am with you
    The Hevi X was an amazing shell for our group this season. I also am a
    huge fan of the Hevimetal shells
    we simply have zero to few cripples with Hevishot

Noticed SpheroTungsten is on the Ballistics Products site, but only in size 7 shot. I've hammered some ducks with #6 HS in the past, so I can only imagine what a small cloud of little metal pellets of 15 g/cc density would do to a big duck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Scoters are not puddle ducks. They shake off stuff that would blow a puddle duck in half. When I hunt sea ducks I usually use BB's cheap stuff too with a modified choke unless its from a layout boat where I may use Improved Cylinder. The reason for shooting cheap stuff is you will burn up a lot of ammo on crippled sea ducks and that could get expensive quick. Save the Hevi Shot for something else.

Call buck run sports and order HW13 #6s. I have mentioned it several times before. I guess no one believes me.

Quote Originally Posted by duckplucker View Post
    Scoters are not puddle ducks. They shake off stuff that would blow a puddle duck in half. When I hunt sea ducks I usually use BB's cheap stuff too with a modified choke unless its from a layout boat where I may use Improved Cylinder. The reason for shooting cheap stuff is you will burn up a lot of ammo on crippled sea ducks and that could get expensive quick. Save the Hevi Shot for something else.
    They are definitely some tough bastards, especially if you knock them down and they are on the water. Saw my patterns center them on the water and still have to put another load into them.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Call buck run sports and order HW13 #6s. I have mentioned it several times before. I guess no one believes me.
    Found it on the website, but can't seem to find pricing. I assume I need to call?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Found it on the website, but can't seem to find pricing. I assume I need to call?
    Yeah. Give them a call. Its deadly on ducks.

Oh I can imagine. I've been shooting HeviShot for years and will never go back to steel if I can help it. I'm on a vendetta to start doing handloads for my 16ga before duck season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]