Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hevi shot

choppin, you know if that HW loading manual have recipes in it?
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-31-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    choppin, you know if that HW loading manual have recipes in it?
    I think that manual is for their shot. I have a deadly 12ga load if you need one. Ballistic products has a good bit of 13 gram loads that will work.

I've got the Hevishot loading manual from BP and its got tons of loads, but wasn't sure if was wise to simply drop in hw pellets instead of US and key the rest of the recipe the same.

In that HS manual there as a 3" 1 1/4oz 12 ga load I was gonna do, and there was a 1 1/8oz recipe for 16ga that I preferred.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I've got a 2.75" @1400 fps load that will be all you will ever need for ducks.

What type of hulls does the recipe call for? Reason I ask is I have gobs of cheddite 2 3/4" hulls from all the Hevishot loads I've shot over the years.

I've got a 12ga o/u that is 2 3/4" only and I'd like to shoot it some this year at more than just doves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Federal gold medal

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I have shot every huntable species of waterfowl in North America. I shoot a 20 gauge Winchester 1300 Ranger with a factory modified choke that is rusted in place. All I have ever shot is Hevi-Shot 3 #4s. I have killed Wood Ducks at 5 yards, and King Eiders at 60 yards, and many birds in between. The only duck I ever lost on a hunt, was a Common Eider. He hit the water after I shot him and never resurfaced. Hevi-shot is no joke. It keeps a tight pattern, and knocks ducks dead. Used to be nice when it was $20 a box. Now its $42 a box. You get what you pay for. You spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on trips, you better not be buying steel shot from Wal-Mart. Whats a few hundred dollars more for a trip??
    You do get what you pay for....that is a fact. I feel the same way about HS. I hunt in NE Arkansas and since our group
    switched to Hevishot and Hevimetal we rarely lose a duck. When we used steel it was a constant thing

Quote Originally Posted by wildwings View Post
    You do get what you pay for....that is a fact. I feel the same way about HS. I hunt in NE Arkansas and since our group
    switched to Hevishot and Hevimetal we rarely lose a duck. When we used steel it was a constant thing
    The Hevi X is a great compromise between hevi metal and hevi shot
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Just ordered my #7 sphero tungsten, wads, fillers, gas seals. At 15 g/cc, these loads oughta be interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Just ordered my #7 sphero tungsten, wads, fillers, gas seals. At 15 g/cc, these loads oughta be interesting.
    I'm eventually gonna buy some of that to try in the 20 gauge and maybe sprinkle some in with my other steel loads just to up my pellet count. For what that stuff costs, its almost better to just suck it up and buy TSS for $45/pound. If you're gonna go through all the hassle honestly, why not go the last mile?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I'm eventually gonna buy some of that to try in the 20 gauge and maybe sprinkle some in with my other steel loads just to up my pellet count. For what that stuff costs, its almost better to just suck it up and buy TSS for $45/pound. If you're gonna go through all the hassle honestly, why not go the last mile?
    Cause that last mile will cost me $14 extra per lb. of shot.

The hassle right now is just learning my MEC presses and how to use and adjust them. I'm still brand new at this. Once I get these components in I'll get my sensei over to guide me.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-16-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well I know your per pound cost is less with hw15, but whats your cost per shell with shipping and everything included? $2.10? $2.25? One ounce of HW15 #7 is ballistically inferior to 3/4 ounce of TSS #9. you could shoot one ounce of hw15 7's for the same price as shooting 3/4 ounce of tss #9. AND come out with more pellets in the tss load with more down range energy. Just something to think about......
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Excellent point, to which I can agree. Guess it's merely a matter of preference. I haven't crunched all the numbers on TSS but I see where it's going.

I did my calculations on per load cost for a 1 1/4 oz recipe and it came out about what you mentioned above. And that's what I used to pay for HeviShot rounds when I transitioned away from steel for good. Now a box of 10 seems to run over $30, making each shell $3+. But the ones I'm leaning towards will be 1 1/8oz for 12ga, and 7/8oz for my 16ga.

Once again, since I'm just getting started I'm sure I'll tinker with other shots and recipes in the near future. As of right now, I'm just trying to get some reps in and make sure I have these loads ready to shoot by duck season. I vowed last year was the last season I scoured the internet for 16ga non tox loads.

Last edited by willyworm; 08-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

Hevi X is exactly what I am planning on using this season. I like that you get 25 shells to a box
    and the price is not bad as well

Only shells I’ve ever had misfire was heavy metals. Literally made a spit sound and the pellets launch 10 ft out my barrel. Happened more than once one different occasions. I like Kent , and I love federal. I just ordered a case of federal ultrashock #3s. My 1187 likes the 23/4” Kent’s. My m2 seemed to like the 3” federals
    867-5309

Heavy Metal's second strike is their packaging, it's gaudy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Only shells I’ve ever had misfire was heavy metals. Literally made a spit sound and the pellets launch 10 ft out my barrel. Happened more than once one different occasions. I like Kent , and I love federal. I just ordered a case of federal ultrashock #3s. My 1187 likes the 23/4” Kent’s. My m2 seemed to like the 3” federals
    I'm on the other side of that coin I reckon. I've shot Hevi-shot and/or HeviMetal exclusively for close to 10 years now. Don't think I've had one shell fail.

Now I couldn't tell you how many times I've had a Fasteel shell go poof. But it's a number well over 0.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I used the Hevi X last week in Arkansas and they were awesome...we have zero cripples and shot
    3" 2's and 4's

Federal blue box is all u need
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Federal blue box is all u need
    Here here