Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hevi shot

Default Hevi shot

I may be looking to buy some hevi shot shells for next season.Its outrageously priced,but does it perform any better than other shells.I was thinking of picking up a box here and there to stock up.I don't duck hunt but a couple times a year so I figure it's not really a big deal.I hunted the outer banks this year on open water and we had quite a few cripples that dove and we lost.couple blue bill and a couple scoter.we where shooting #2 steel shot with modified chokes.just didn't seem to hit them very hard.we also lost a huge drake black duck that would have went on the wall.ive hunted timber in Arkansas and beaver swamps at home and never had very many cripples.anybody have any personal experience with hevi shot?any difference in knock down power?would you go down in shot size to get more pellet count since it is more dense?
    The price is firm.

I used hevi shot in my a400 with bbs and had a lot of cripples shooting mallards and divers.i don't believe in the hype of them.black clouds use to be all the rage and now no one really buys them.hevi shot is more of a gimmick.i just went to catahoula lake to shoot cans,pintails,and ringers and I killed them stone dead with Kent's 3in 1 3/8 2's.its all about shot placement and patterning your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    I used hevi shot in my a400 with bbs and had a lot of cripples shooting mallards and divers.i don't believe in the hype of them.black clouds use to be all the rage and now no one really buys them.hevi shot is more of a gimmick.i just went to catahoula lake to shoot cans,pintails,and ringers and I killed them stone dead with Kent's 3in 1 3/8 2's.its all about shot placement and patterning your gun.
    Hevi-shot, TSS, and the other heavier than lead metals are not gimmicks. You do realize that just about every world record pattern was shot with some form of heavier than lead? You may have gotten so many cripples because you blew your pattern by over choking it.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 01-27-2018 at 01:47 PM.

I shot the Hevi X in AR a couple of weeks ago and impressive is an understatement.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Actually i didnt know that.Im still learning along the way.

I have an a400 other than factory chokes what would be a place to start.i also have a pure gold number 10 that I don't really like with steel shot
    The price is firm.

I have shot every huntable species of waterfowl in North America. I shoot a 20 gauge Winchester 1300 Ranger with a factory modified choke that is rusted in place. All I have ever shot is Hevi-Shot 3” #4’s. I have killed Wood Ducks at 5 yards, and King Eiders at 60 yards, and many birds in between. The only duck I ever lost on a hunt, was a Common Eider. He hit the water after I shot him and never resurfaced. Hevi-shot is no joke. It keeps a tight pattern, and knocks ducks dead. Used to be nice when it was $20 a box. Now it’s $42 a box. You get what you pay for. You spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on trips, you better not be buying steel shot from Wal-Mart. What’s a few hundred dollars more for a trip??
    Last edited by BEAR; 01-27-2018 at 02:35 PM.

That's what I'm thinking
    The price is firm.

One thing no one has mentioned is that you have to use a little more lead with hevishot than steel. Might explain some results for guys that always use steel and suddenly try hevishot.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 01-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I would suggest something other than #2 steel for scoters next time, even if you don't choose hevi. We typically shoot steel BB or BBB because they can shrug off the smaller steel pellets pretty well unless they are layout boat close.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

It's been a while since I've shot the real hevishot.. I went through a few boxes of the heavy x tungsten this year, 2 3/4 inch 4s. I was completely happy with them.

Hevi x pretty good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned is that you have to use a little more lead with hevishot than steel. Might explain some results for guys that always use steel and suddenly try hevishot.
    you are either ignorant as fuck or a world class shotgun shooter. There difference between 1400 fps and 1700fps at 40 yards is 8". Of course this only matters if you hit the bird with the leading or trailing edge of the respective shot strings . Heavy X is moving 1500fps. I think it will be ok
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Hevi x is a rip off if you think you’re buying a high density load. It’s barely denser than steel

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Hevi x is a rip off if you think you’re buying a high density load. It’s barely denser than steel
    Wrong it's .9g less than lead. 10.0 to be exact. Steel is 7
    Last edited by Griffin; 01-27-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Not sure what exactly you don't understand about "a little more lead" but there's still no need to be insulting.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Wrong it's .9g less than lead. 10.0 to be exact. Steel is 7

I suppose you've taken the measurements yourself? Or are you just going off of what environmetal claims?
    Last edited by tman; 01-27-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I haven't. I'm not a nerd. I bought it, and shot it. I've killed a bunch of birds with it. Could I of killed them with the Kent's I've shot in the past.. probably. But I have more confidence in them then I've had with the Kent's after a couple misfires. I roll with confidence. I am a finger pointing high fiving son of a bitch.

Don't get Hevi-Shot confused with Hevi-Steel, Hevi-Metal, Hevi-X......True Hevi-Shot is medicine.....and Remington HD was before Hevi hit the scene. If you can't shoot proper it really doesn't matter what you shoot.....you'll cripple a lot of ducks and that's unacceptable in my boat.

I have measured it personally. I can't find any claims from environmental. It's a rerelease of the old hevi steel as far as i can tell. I still shoot federal blue box in a 12 but once my supply of the old 9.9g hevi steel runs out I intend to shoot this in my 20