Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My last season in California

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    What does your brother do? A buddy of mine that was here with me in Cali is now on the Coast Guard Cutter Hickory that's home ported there.
    Not exactly sure what he does. Something with inspections of vessels and stuff. I need to get up there and visit them.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Man o Man your gonna miss Kali bird wise at least. Great hunts!
    You've got that right!!! Lucky for me the detailer has cut my orders to South Carolina for just two years. That should give me enough time to have a little fun around there but no too long that I grow roots!! Both my wife and I want to move back out here after we are done there in Charleston. I have no plans on retiring in California (too expensive and the politics piss me off) but I'm happy as can be out here while I'm still on active duty. The fishing for both bass and ocean bottom fish is hard to beat, the weather is fantastic year round, and obviously the duck hunting is on point! The next time I come this way I'll have an actual boat though. I've been making due with pirogues and kayaks for about the last 8 years and I kill my fair share of birds but I can only imagine how much better the hunting would be with a boat to get me access to some of the more remote areas. There is a bay near my house with no access points for a kayak (all state park surrounding it) that holds THOUSANDS of wigeon, pintail, mallards, geese, etc. You can hunt the bay and the marshes but cant park on the side of the road and cross the hard land with a firearm. It would be a short 30min boat ride from the nearest landing with a jon boat and there is practically no one that hunts the entire bay!! There are quite a few spots like that within an hour of the house. A boat with a pirogue rack would be an absolute killing machine here!!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Not exactly sure what he does. Something with inspections of vessels and stuff. I need to get up there and visit them.
    Homer is a cool spot! The halibut and salmon fishing out of there is absolutely amazing!!! It's a short drive up the Kenai Peninsula and you're catching rainbows, cutthroat trout, and king salmon on the Kenai River. Then if you don't mind driving a couple hours you can be above Anchorage and catching trout, grayling, pike, and chasing dahl sheep, mountain goats, caribou, etc in the interior of Alaska. I don't think I'd have to leave the Homer area personally if I was stationed there. There is so much to do there on the Kenai Peninsula that I'd be happy as can be with the hunting and fishing opportunities that were close to home.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I see a guiding outfit in your future if you get a jonboat with a kayak rack!

Is hunting still allowed hunting on the Kern Refuge? I heard from a lot of folks that the pintails were thick this year.
    Last edited by Gander; 01-26-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Is hunting still allowed hunting on the Kern Refuge? I heard from a lot of folks that the pintails were thick this year.
    Yes you can still hunt Kern, still hard to pull a blind though. As far as pintail being thick there, they’re thick from the Oregon state line to Mexico. Dudes in the rice fields were a bit pissed the limit was only one this year.

They are thick every year out here. It’s crazy how loud it is in he marsh before daylight with so many birds on the water around you. I have some crappy cell phone videos that show some of the big flocks jumping off the water as we paddled out to build blinds this year. Even though they’re cell phone quality they are still pretty impressive!