Thread: Todays bow setups

Default Todays bow setups

Been out of the bow loop for years. My last bow was a PSE- 30" draw length, 70# draw weight, 26" arrow, 4" overdraw.
    Im thinking about a new bow but cannot pull that kind of weight with my shoulder problems. Watching a Ted Nugent show on the outdoor channel, he said his bows draw weight was only 48#.
    Are the new bows set up to produce more speed with less draw weight? Are aluminum arrows and overdraws a thing of the past? Are under $500 set ups gone too?

Bows are faster at all draw weights these days. I would want to shoot at least 50 lbs if you can manage it (not saying you can’t kill with less). Most don’t shoot aluminum but nothing wrong with it.
    Carolina Counsel

Yes, today's bows are a lot more efficient. Also a lot easier to draw and hold. Today's 70lbs feels like yesterday's 50lbs. With a good cut on contact head you can get away with 40-45lbs. A good friend of mine's wife shoots everything from Elk to hogs with 40-45lbs and is one of the best bow hunters I've ever met.

As for the price. They are expensive today that's for sure. I suggest you go shoot some to get a feel of what you want/like then get on ArcheryTalk and buy used. Just make sure that the warranty has never been registered and you are good to go.

Overdraw is a thing of the past. Depending on how your rest is set up and how draw length is actually measured, you can shoot an arrow 2-3 inches under your draw length and be safe. However, there is no need for this. Your long draw length will do more for speed than the poundage of the limbs. 50lbs is fine, just use a 2 blade cut on contact broadhead with small bleeder blades like a Magnus stinger or buzzcut.

And yes bows are much more efficient now, 70lbs is not needed to get a pass through or effectively kill deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I also meant to add. Make sure you get measured. Unless you are well over 6ft, I doubt that you are 30".

I've been out of that game a while, but I remember Owen Jeffrey telling me once that "every pound of draw weight over 45 was just deeper in the dirt on the other side of the deer". Of course, those were recurves.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I also meant to add. Make sure you get measured. Unless you are well over 6ft, I doubt that you are 30".
    Been measured. Yep, 30" draw. Now, 25 years later, am I still at 30"? Not sure. 1 of the things the guy at psa showed me was a bow that has variable draw length. Was thinking i could use that for my kid so he could use 1 bow until he stops growing and then buy something new.
    Not sure if I would actually hunt with 1 again, but I would like to get back into shooting 1 again.

The DL on most of today’s bows can be adjusted by changing cam modules instead of the whole cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I've been out of that game a while, but I remember Owen Jeffrey telling me once that "every pound of draw weight over 45 was just deeper in the dirt on the other side of the deer". Of course, those were recurves.
    Except that the vast majority of folks use arrow that are too light. Ever notice how many deer on TV run off with the arrow flopping in the side of the deer?