Thread: Aqua seal vs Shoo Goo

Default Aqua seal vs Shoo Goo

Figured I'd share this. I learned this season, that when someone tells you Shoo Goo is "just as good as aqua seal" for wader repair and coating seams, don't believe em.

I was in the local hardware/sporting goods store last year and couldn't find aqua seal for some reason. While in the store I crossed paths with an acquaintance that said "just use Shoo Goo", so.like a dummy I did. And boy I regret that.

I proactively coated the seams knowing that they are usually, in my experience, the first thing that starts to leak on a pair of duck hunting waders. These Hodgman DuraMags have been a great set of waders and despite wading thru swamps of upper Lake Marion and briar infested beaver ponds across the midlands they've held up impressively well. Although, this season I noticed my butt crack getting kinda cold/moist from time to time. When I move just right apparently it opened up a hole in the seam and water would seap in. After a closer inspection I realized the bead of Shoo Goo I coated the seams in was starting to crack. I knew I had a few tubes of Aqua Seal hiding around the house somewhere and I finally found em, 3 total. So instead of throwing the waders away, I'm taking the time to go over the Shoo Goo to reseal these seams up. I instantly remembered why Aqua Seal is the superior product for that.

I noticed after it dried that the Aqua Seal literally penetrated that neoprene fabric and is much more flexible when cured.

Lesson learned. I think I'm on year 4 of these waders and I don't plan to get rid of em until necessary. Hopefully with a few tubes of Aqua Seal I can get a few more seasons out of em.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Yes, you've learned the lesson well. Shoe Goo begins to harden and even get brittle after a few seasons, and quicker if it is exposed to a lot of sunlight.

I've changed to a Loctite product that works real well and is less costly than Aqua Seal. I'll post a link as soon as I locate it.

Here's the stuff. I do not know how it would react with neoprene, but I've used it on breathable waders, nylon, and rubber boots, etc, with good success.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=53093116
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-20-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Yes, you've learned the lesson well. Shoe Goo begins to harden and even get brittle after a few seasons, and quicker if it is exposed to a lot of sunlight.
    Brittle is exactly what it gets. I have a boot drier with the wader extension and after every hunt I dry em out overnight. If I have a day or so between hunts I'll turn em right side out and hang up on the boat so the exterior can dry and doesn't get that moldy smell. I'll remember to hang em up in the garage from now on so the sun doesn't take it's toll prematurely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-20-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Waders started leaking a little Saturday, but it was so warm I paid it little attention. This morning on the other hand, it was frigid on the boys down there. Finding size 14 waders in September is a challenge, let alone now. Having some shipped is not a possibility either. Is shoo goo good enough to last one hunt, or should I go on the hunt for Aqua Seal? This only needs to last one hunt, I plan to get new waders next season anyway. These are at the end of the road.

Shoe goo will be fine.

amazingly, woodiesc has found a way to save a buck on loctite's version of aquaseal....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    amazingly, woodiesc has found a way to save a buck on loctite's version of aquaseal....
    Typical butt plug reply.

Btw, you’ve ignored the difference in tube quantity. If you’re really smart enough, work it out. If not, ask someone to assist you.
    ~ George Washington

so you're the guy that reads the small print on the sticker at walmart that tells you how much it costs per ounce?

congrats on a new level of thriftiness. I am impressed.

I usually buy a tube and use some of it and by the time I need it again, its all dried out so I have to buy more. I like super glue in the tiny "single use" packets. I shudder to think how much I'm actually spending compared to the JUMBO tube.

so you're the guy that reads the small print on the sticker at walmart that tells you how much it costs per ounce?

congrats on a new level of thriftiness. I am impressed.

I usually buy a tube and use some of it and by the time I need it again, its all dried out so I have to buy more. I like super glue in the tiny "single use" packets. I shudder to think how much I'm actually spending compared to the JUMBO tube.
    Your dumbassedry continues to amaze me. Do I really need to edumakate you on when each product/size is best utilized?

That is, if you are going to carry a small tube with you for field repairs, you get the AquaSeal with the Activator so that it will dry in a matter of minutes. Or use duct tape, etc.

If you're going to seal the seam on your waders - be it the crotch, the inside of the legs, or around the tops of the boots, etc, and possibly also repair cracks/holes in a pair or two of rubber boots, it makes sense to get the larger tube at the lower price, especially since if you don't need the activator and will be using more than one tube.

Btw, I, too, use the 'single use' packets of Super Glue for the same reason.

Are you really such a dumb ass, or just an asshole who makes issues out of non-issues? Damn...
    ~ George Washington

My breathables are more Shoe-Goo than original material at this point, and like willyworm said, it gets more brittle and peels up from the edges.

I buy things based on the cheapest unit cost, and my waders are 5 years old and have been leaking (and have been patched) for 4.5 years of those, but I have Jewish heritage.

Banded should buy aquaseal and come with a tooth paste size tube.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Black RTV for me. Clean the pick, cut, or nick well, then use your finger to smear some in. Also works to coat seams that are showing age. Available at any autoparts store and has patched many holes in my waders for years.

did he really type that much?

did he really type that much?
    I realize that's a LOT for you to try to absorb, but I'm sure there is someone in your office who's bright enough to assist you in comprehending what I bothered to post.

Good luck.
    ~ George Washington

still going?

An opened tube of Aquaseal will keep a very long time if you store it in the freezer. Clean up with acetone. You can usually find it at yuppy hipster outdoor outfitter camping/hiking stores.