Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Stupid question How to cook Venison sausage?

Default Help: Stupid question How to cook Venison sausage?

I times I have tried to cook venison link onion sausage, the results have been less than desirable. It always dries out too much and gets a mealy texture. I always thought sausage needed to be cooked to well or well done. I have tried browning and braising and other methods. How can it be done better or is this just how it is?

Thanks

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

This sounds like more of a problem with your product not your method. Find a new processor.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

I would assume it has nothing to do with your cooking and everything to do with the sausage itself and preparation/making there of.

have you tried parboiling then browning?

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    This sounds like more of a problem with your product not your method. Find a new processor.
    If you don't listen to me, at least listen to him. FG is a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by SBPep View Post
    have you tried parboiling then browning?
    Yankee in the woodpile boys..

I was going to suggest possibly trying to boil it for a few minutes prior to the skillet as well.... not sure what you are working with product wise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best method I've found is to simmer in a covered skillet with 1/2" of water or so for 6-8min. Pour off the water and drizzle the sausage with olive oil, brown at med-high heat to give it some good flavor.

I've tried cooking it a handful of different ways, and this method has produced the juciest sausage I've found yet. The reason your sausage is dry and grainy is because you're over cooking it.

Beer

Yes water in pan and let water cook off and finish browning sausage. Piece of white bread with a line of yellow mustard in bottom!

I don't usually get hung up on things like this but seriously....You guys having to do this and that to make your sausage juicy or not dry it out and all that just have poor sausage Period.

The reason the sausage is dry is because of the product itself.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 01-20-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Specifically, there is likely not enough fat in your sausage and the grind is too fine.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

This is a product issue. Should be able to throw it in a skillet maybe enough oil to slick the pan.

EdZachary.

Too little fat, wrong type fat, or low quality fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Quack View Post
    The best method I've found is to simmer in a covered skillet with 1/2" of water or so for 6-8min. Pour off the water and drizzle the sausage with olive oil, brown at med-high heat to give it some good flavor.

I've tried cooking it a handful of different ways, and this method has produced the juciest sausage I've found yet. The reason your sausage is dry and grainy is because you're over cooking it.
    This is the method a real Italian restaurant uses on Italian sausage. They put a little water in the pan and just cook until water has steamed out and then add a bit of oil and brown the outside. Plump and juicy

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    I don't usually get hung up on things like this but seriously....You guys having to do this and that to make your sausage juicy or not dry it out and all that just have poor sausage Period.

The reason the sausage is dry is because of the product itself.
    X2....I ain't never heard of this water in a pan crap or boiling. My family eats Venison Sausage 3-4 mornings/week. All you should be doing is making some patties and tossing em on a cast iron skillet
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

How is the sausage cut? I've found the short links dry out quicker on the grill than the longer coil. It's hard to keep the little 6 inch links juicy on the grill

The only damn thing you should be pouring in that pan is milk..

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    This is a product issue. Should be able to throw it in a skillet maybe enough oil to slick the pan.
    Rodney makes some damn good sausage.