Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Scholarship info

My youngest daughter is a junior at Charleston Southern, great school. Make a trip down there and meet the financial aid folks. They will quickly become your friends. They will work very hard to get you all the help they can. They WANT your daughter to come to CS. My older two went to College of Charleston and Coastal Carolina. Charleston Southern works much harder to help your kid be able to afford to come there. If you need anything PM me.

DU is offering scholarships

I recently talked to a friend that has one daughter at Wofford and another starting at SC. I can't remember exactly but I believe he said Wofford was $45k/yr.

Anyway, he said he was able to 'negotiate' some with Wofford on their price due to them being a private school and needing to keep numbers up. He said that the public schools don't have this leeway, but most private schools have the ability to adjust their costs to some degree.

As someone posted earlier, it may be worth a trip to the school to speak with someone about the scholarships available to her and if the tuition is somewhat negotiable.

Agree with the Tech starter route. Saves money. Of course most kids should come out of high school with some college credits.

In many cases college os just not worth the price. 50% of the majors do not get you a job that pays better than a 2 year tech major.

Some kids will major in drunk and high. Be sure you understand what they are taking. Hint, if they are bragging about sitting near the football players in class, well...
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Thanks for all the input so far. Good information. She will basically be starting her first year with her first semester of freshman classes and half of her second semester freshman classes already completed. The school she attends has a program that works with the local Tech school and Troy University which enabled her to begin taking those classes early. Hopefully this will enable her to finish in 4 years instead of 5 which appears to be more common.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    My oldest is a senior this year. She is looking at Winthrop and Charleston Southern with a lean toward CS. Has a cousin that goes there and a boyfriend at the Citadel. She received a scholarship for each school but is still very short. We have saved some money for her but honestly started too late. Any leads on any "outside" scholarships? Excellent grades, excellent athlete (lots of awards)(has no desire to play college ball), lots of extra curricular activities, loves the outdoors. Going to major in business and hopefully work for me one day (insurance). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Did she qualify for he Winthrop Gold Scholarship? It is 9000 a year. My son had to take the SAT and ACT a couple of extra times, but he got that one, along with life, and life enhancement. They also have other merit based stuff. Winthrop is a good school and they bend over backwards to ensure that students succeed (if they want to.) Good luck.....
    Last edited by JJ1965; 01-19-2018 at 08:07 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    My thoughts exactly Darth Tater. She can go to basic training and tech school for her chosen career field this summer and do one weekend a month and two week annual tour in the summers as well.

Lots of good opportunities right there in Charleston with either Air Force or Navy Reserve. That's where my unit is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-19-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I had a few scholarships, student loans for the rest, my parents helped with groceries and a little spending money. When you have skin in the game, it makes you look at your education as an investment. That bit of perspective is worth a lot.

Also on the tech course transfer, check with the tech or local school, and the school you hope to transfer to. Get on the phone with department heads, have the course description and number at the tech school handy, and get in writing exactly which course it will transfer as. I almost got burned taking a semester at Coastal. CCU said class X will transfer as class Y at Clemson, turns out CCU did not have a computer modeling based piece so Clemson said NO. I also got a class which CCU said would not transfer approved by Clemson by simply getting a syllabus from the professor from last semester, and e-mailing it to the Math Department Head at Clemson. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but its better than wasting a lot of time and money. These University's have a huge staff, just find the right person and stay on them.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    That's where my unit is.

Gross

Could be worse... my unit could be in an Army dorm.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

In full disclosure, I work for a state-supported university and if you would like to contact me directly, I will give you any and all information you may need (and try not to be biased towrds my school.) In short, if she/you would like for her to graduate without debt, I strongly reccomend a state supported school. Also, NEVER give up on finishing in four years. With few exceptions, the kind of student you describe her as, she should have no issues finishing in four years. SOME colleges and universities charge a fee for full-time student (12 hours) then allow you to take more hours (some up to 18 if you have a good GPA) that same semester at no additional cost to you. That alone is worth a half of a semester of tuition and housing at the end of her education.

As DT said, 2yr schools (we call them Tech schools in SC but in other states, they are called junior colleges or community colleges) there is a set of courses that can be taken for less than half the cost that, thanks to DT and his friends in the legislature, ALL state supported schools must accept. Again, if your goal is to have her graduate without debt, it is time to value-engineer her choices, which might prove to be unpopular with her. PM me and I will help you in any way I can and that also goes for any other member who has college bound kids. BTW, this conversation is best had at the beginning of the Junior year of HS not the last semester of HS. MG
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 01-19-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Tater posted a picture of the recruiting center and it is a great option that most folks are unaware of. Most kids in a technical MOS can finish their first four years with an associates degree and full GI bill benefits at the end of four years. I see Marines do it all the time so that means everyone can do it...

They will pay your tuition while you are on active duty up to a point so the GI bill doesn't get used until after they get out. Never mind the other benefits to working and developing a skill set that is marketable outside the military. Four years in the air force is where it is at or the Navy nursing program.

I am not directing this at the OP either but it is a viable option that doesn't mean they have to be Marine infantry, in the army or stuck on a damn ship 7 months out of the year. That is queer....

Female dorm of course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's where my unit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Gross
    Talk about dicking up a thread....
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Tater posted a picture of the recruiting center and it is a great option that most folks are unaware of. Most kids in a technical MOS can finish their first four years with an associates degree and full GI bill benefits at the end of four years. I see Marines do it all the time so that means everyone can do it...
    If Marines can do it, how hard can it be?

No seriously, military career fields that require security clearances are also good ones to have. Even if it's an Intel, Air Traffic Control, etc etc and the position requires a Top Secret security clearance, there's a lots of govt contractors and Govt agencies that require TS clearance for a job. If you already have it and you have military on your resume, you'd be a shoo in for those jobs.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default College Scholarship info

If Marines can do it, how hard can it be?

Exactly

They paid for my grad and undergrad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 01-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far. Good information. She will basically be starting her first year with her first semester of freshman classes and half of her second semester freshman classes already completed. The school she attends has a program that works with the local Tech school and Troy University which enabled her to begin taking those classes early. Hopefully this will enable her to finish in 4 years instead of 5 which appears to be more common.
    Sounds like she is already ahead of the game, if she takes one extra class for a couple semesters she should have no problem graduating in 3 1/2 years if she chose to do so. Either way she is well ahead of where most starting freshmen will be and finishing in 4 years should be no problem. Best of luck to her.

There are also several fields that offer their own college programs within each Branch. I was in nuclear power in the Navy and we had 8 USNA appointments available and the NECP (Nuclear Enlisted Commissioning Program). NECP was attractive in that there was a list of schools you could attend as a full time student while still receiving your pay, the drawback was you had 3 years to complete and you transferred NO prior credits. IIRC this was also for an engineering degree only. Once through the pipeline of nuclear training upon arrival in the fleet you still had the NECP available, but you were now open to a large selection of ECP's.

Hell, I got out in '92 and the opportunity for a degree was very available and encouraged. I can only imagine how many more opportunities there are now and the support for such being even greater. Is the military for everyone? No, but it's a better choice for a much greater number of people than the number who choose it. What you see on the news and what you see in movies is a VERY SMALL portion of the machine, there's a LOT of folks working behind the scenes to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    There are also several fields that offer their own college programs within each Branch. I was in nuclear power in the Navy and we had 8 USNA appointments available and the NECP (Nuclear Enlisted Commissioning Program). NECP was attractive in that there was a list of schools you could attend as a full time student while still receiving your pay, the drawback was you had 3 years to complete and you transferred NO prior credits. IIRC this was also for an engineering degree only. Once through the pipeline of nuclear training upon arrival in the fleet you still had the NECP available, but you were now open to a large selection of ECP's.

Hell, I got out in '92 and the opportunity for a degree was very available and encouraged. I can only imagine how many more opportunities there are now and the support for such being even greater. Is the military for everyone? No, but it's a better choice for a much greater number of people than the number who choose it. What you see on the news and what you see in movies is a VERY SMALL portion of the machine, there's a LOT of folks working behind the scenes to make it happen.
    You are old AF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went through this with my step son...we didn't save very much b/c from the time he could talk all he ever talked about was military. He did 1.5 years at Piedmont Tech (we wanted proof that he was serious about school) and transferred to Winthrop 2 weeks ago. So we had no choice but for him to apply for loans. Winthrop was great helping him and my wife get through the financial process. They found several scholarships he could apply for. Wells Fargo was also great and is a great resource for financial aid; including scholarships.

And oh my God college is expensive now. I wrote a check for my last semester of tuition at Clemson in 98 for $1900. Winthrop is 500% more than that now...so is Clemson too I believe.