Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Scholarship info

That damn lottery was the worst thing that ever happened to the cost of education.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    One of my customers is offering a 1000 scholarship. Link here. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

There will not be many applicants at all so it may be worth it.
    Thanks
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.Ducks View Post
    It’s his kid. Let the man try and help his own how he wants. You must not have kids.
    I got a kid. I paid for my school. It's just seems like parents feel obligated to pay for college these days. It was just a question...
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I had a buddy who googled this very topic and applied for tons of them. He came out of college almost debt free. I will contact him and see if he remembers any of them or how he found them.

FWIW, he had excellent grades in high school and had some ships going into USC Honors but was still going to have to come up with some of the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Not quite correct. Tuition and room and board at CoC is $23,387. While less than CS no where near "half the cost". Also, small private colleges tend to offer more in "scholarship" money than "state supported" schools making them close to equal in costs. Also, private colleges will negotiate the cost of tuition while state supported schools won't.
    Yeah...half was a stretch. It was a quick google search that didn’t take it all into account. Strictly tuition only.

Our plan for our child is to have her take out loans for the first two years and if she does well we will pay for the next 2. This way if she fucks off and shits the bed that’s in her. If she has skin in the game from the beginning it’s a totally different story. And to add there are as many scholarships out there as she can apply for. She has to basically turn it into a job for the next 3 months and spend every free min online finding them and applying.

I like Biggies plan
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

And to play devil's advocate here a bit,

I started out my first year on my parent's dime. I did awful and was not a prospect student. Second year I was part time paying my way through college while working. Still not making the grades I should have. I now am a full time student with what I'd like to think is a little bit more maturity and a student loan in my name. I am doing well and making the best grades I have made since probably grade school. It's not for everyone but that is what really got me attentive to what I was doing and how I was executing it.

In your case she sounds like she makes good grades and already has a good school work ethic. Best of luck and there are options out there, just have to find them. I told my parent's that I did not want their help this go round ( did not deserve it either truthfully) and it has worked out good for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I will add, since several have mentioned it, that currently student loans are off the table due to some screwed up circumstances (basically a determining factor is parents income. I moved some money in order to purchase a business. That money is shown as income. The NAFTA or whatever the process is called thinks I made WAY more than I actually did last year.) We are appealing but it doesn't look like we will get very far. We have no problem with her getting student loans if it can be worked out for her to do so. So, looking for as many scholarships that we can find for her to apply for. Keep the info coming. Some good stuff so far. Thanks
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    I will add, since several have mentioned it, that currently student loans are off the table due to some screwed up circumstances (basically a determining factor is parents income. I moved some money in order to purchase a business. That money is shown as income. The NAFTA or whatever the process is called thinks I made WAY more than I actually did last year.) We are appealing but it doesn't look like we will get very far. We have no problem with her getting student loans if it can be worked out for her to do so. So, looking for as many scholarships that we can find for her to apply for. Keep the info coming. Some good stuff so far. Thanks
    She can apply for student loans on her own accord, under her name without you or your wife listed. She's an adult... or will be.

And you are referring to subsidized loans. She can get unsubsidized loan all day long.

I didn't get out of college too long ago,but if I were her.I would stay at home and go a technical college to fill my pre reqs.That way you save on all those other expenses while she could be saving money for her next school.while in college they offer different scholarships for certain fields of study and on professor assisted research groups they pay you for helping and they also have a little pull with who can get some new grants and scholarships.

I don't have much to add other than I would take a good look at Winthrop, I know several people that went there and loved it. My sister however started off at Charleston Southern and transferred to Coastal after the first semester. I will add that I graduated from Coastal in 2016 with a business degree and they have a great business program if she is going that route.

I do know that both mine and my sisters tuition costs were much cheaper at Coastal than my brother at USC and we all had life scholarships.

She may also be able to find paid internships while she is in school. My brother was making 16 or 17 dollars an hour as an intern while he was at USC doing epidemiology research as an undergrad and graduate student and it lead to him being an epidemiologist for DAODAS. My sister also interned for a Supreme Court judge while at Coastal and graduated from USC Law in 2017. I think her internships were paid as well, so she may want to keep an eye out for good internships to help her out while she's in school.

That may not help anything but I figured I'd try to contribute something.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 01-18-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    She claimed the school was nothing like she expected and the only people that I know who went there and stayed are really weird individuals in my opinion.
    You serious Clark???? That's pretty opinionated... that's like saying everyone that goes to Coastal is a druggy, alcoholic and hooker... oh wait
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 01-18-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    You serious Clark???? That's pretty opinionated... that's like saying everyone that goes to Coastal is a druggy, alcoholic and hooker... oh wait
    Did you read the end of the last sentence? I said in my opinion, therefore it should just be taken with a grain of salt.

That hooker comment did make me laugh though, I'm assuming that's about the cheerleaders.

I went ahead and edited that part out of the original post because it was kind of a dickish thing to say though.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 01-18-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Did you read the end of the last sentence? I said in my opinion, therefore it should just be taken with a grain of salt.

That hooker comment did make me laugh though, I'm assuming that's about the cheerleaders.
    Yes. I was referring to the cheerleaders, but I would also not encourage my child to go to Coastal for various reasons. Different strokes for different folks.

I do find it interesting that your sister said CS was nothing like she expected and transferred to Coastal. What did she expect from a private Christian affiliated institution?

I just finished getting one out of USC. He also received the LIFE $ and I paid cash for half each semester and he got student loan for the
    other half. He graduated in May and his payments just started (they are deferred for so many months after you graduate).. He just landed a good job and
    he is making his payments and I plan to give him something extra every month to add to the payments. Between him and I, we plan to knock it out quick.
    Now, go ahead and ask me a dumbass question like why I am helping him
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-18-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    I didn't get out of college too long ago,but if I were her.I would stay at home and go a technical college to fill my pre reqs.That way you save on all those other expenses while she could be saving money for her next school.while in college they offer different scholarships for certain fields of study and on professor assisted research groups they pay you for helping and they also have a little pull with who can get some new grants and scholarships.
    Smart to go community college for first two years and get the "general college" courses out of the way and then transfer. Saves a bunch of money and the degree at the end only shows the 4 year School.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Yes. I was referring to the cheerleaders, but I would also not encourage my child to go to Coastal for various reasons. Different strokes for different folks.

I do find it interesting that your sister said CS was nothing like she expected and transferred to Coastal. What did she expect from a private Christian affiliated institution?
    I'll honestly have to ask her what all the reasons were because it was 7 or 8 years ago. I do know that she was put in a terrible rooming situation and the staff was unwilling to do anything about it to put it at best. There was a lot of issues but I just can't remember them well enough to accurately say what they were. I do know that it was a blessing in disguise because she met the guy who she married as soon as she transferred and has found a great path in life as an attorney. But just as you said there's different schools for everyone, I know people that have transferred to and from CCU, CS, Clemson, USC and many others for one reason or another. I'll try to remember to ask her about CS and maybe she can shed some light on it, but her experience could always differ from someone else and the same goes for any school.

For standard college, you are better off to take courses that will transfer from a technical college to a 4 year college. The cost savings is substantial.

I am sure Maggie Glover and Duct Tape will agree with this. You can check https://www.sctrac.org/Administrator...4/Default.aspx for a list of courses that will transfer to colleges across the state. You can either pay 4 times the amount for course A vs 1/4 the amount for course A at a technical college.

If you need assistance getting in touch with an advisor from a SC technical college, pm me.