Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: College Scholarship info

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    You are old AF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You got that shit right

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    I just went through this with my step son...we didn't save very much b/c from the time he could talk all he ever talked about was military. He did 1.5 years at Piedmont Tech (we wanted proof that he was serious about school) and transferred to Winthrop 2 weeks ago. So we had no choice but for him to apply for loans. Winthrop was great helping him and my wife get through the financial process. They found several scholarships he could apply for. Wells Fargo was also great and is a great resource for financial aid; including scholarships.

And oh my God college is expensive now. I wrote a check for my last semester of tuition at Clemson in 98 for $1900. Winthrop is 500% more than that now...so is Clemson too I believe.
    To add to led's insubordinate reference to my age.....my last semester at Clemson was $806

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    my last semester at Clemson was $806
    My first in fall of 94 was right at $1200...Damn poor economy of mid-90's and cut of state funds for education made education inflation ridiculous!

Don't forget the lottery.....

Hmmmmm, we need tuition to be $X and the lottery money is paying Y%? Ok....tuition is now Z where Z=YX+X

To add to led's insubordinate reference to my age.....my last semester at Clemson was $806
    My first at Auburn was $700

GI bill paid for undergrad. Loans for Vet School. My total loan debt for all of it was less than what you googans are paying for one year of undergrad for your chirren.

P. T. Barnum was right.

Word.

I would say ask for some from the high school counselors, but working at a school, I know how that turns out 95% of the time. They are supposed to, if they do their job, keep applications on hand and/or provide direction towards finding them. If--little word, big meaning.

I think this is the one I was looking for...

https://www.tuitionfundingsources.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I think this is the one I was looking for...

https://www.tuitionfundingsources.com/
    Thanks
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    In full disclosure, I work for a state-supported university and if you would like to contact me directly, I will give you any and all information you may need (and try not to be biased towrds my school.) In short, if she/you would like for her to graduate without debt, I strongly reccomend a state supported school. Also, NEVER give up on finishing in four years. With few exceptions, the kind of student you describe her as, she should have no issues finishing in four years. SOME colleges and universities charge a fee for full-time student (12 hours) then allow you to take more hours (some up to 18 if you have a good GPA) that same semester at no additional cost to you. That alone is worth a half of a semester of tuition and housing at the end of her education.

As DT said, 2yr schools (we call them Tech schools in SC but in other states, they are called junior colleges or community colleges) there is a set of courses that can be taken for less than half the cost that, thanks to DT and his friends in the legislature, ALL state supported schools must accept. Again, if your goal is to have her graduate without debt, it is time to value-engineer her choices, which might prove to be unpopular with her. PM me and I will help you in any way I can and that also goes for any other member who has college bound kids. BTW, this conversation is best had at the beginning of the Junior year of HS not the last semester of HS. MG
    PM sent. Thanks
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    PM sent. Thanks
    Yep... I see on the first page there is a $10,000 vegetarian scholarship.

My entire 1st year at CU was $1362 including meal plan, books, parking, long live the Cans. C-5 survivor.

Started at USC in 1979. Tuition was $360 and books were less than $100. When I graduated in 1984 tuition was $1100. My 2 daughters started at tech for 2 yrs. I tell everyone it’s not where you start but where you finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    My entire 1st year at CU was $1362 including meal plan, books, parking, long live the Cans. C-5 survivor.
    D-4 Dude here

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

It is a little late but if you do dual enrollment you could knock out about semester of college while they are in high school and get both high school and college credit. All 3 of mine did that. I had two that went to Charleston Southern. There is definitely more scholarship available for private schools than public schools. If you shop around and negotiate, the cost between the two could be about the same and can even be less at the private school . One small criticism of Charleston Southern is that they are not the best organized school and tend to lose a lot of documentation/information so you better make copies of everything that you pay for and sign up for. It happened to both of my kids (multiple times) and friends of my kids. I am not kidding. Make those copies.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-19-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

This is a good thread with lots of good info. College is insanely expensive these days but there are lots of options and resources to help kids and parents figure out the best option for their families. My old lady just walked out the door to go do that very thing. Good luck with it and take advantage of (and encourage your kid to take advantage of) the resources on campus. The number of jobs she's helped kids get is hard to comprehend but the primary variable is the kid showing up and taking advantage of the resources.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 01-20-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead