Thread: Carbon fiber barrels (centerfire)

Default Carbon fiber barrels (centerfire)

I've been getting the wheels slowly moving on this upcoming build, was (and still rather am...) rather sold on PROOF Research barrels, but Griffin's Hardy barrel up for sale got me to researching. This got me looking at my options, in general, including Hardy and Carbon Six. Carbon Six being the least expensive, but the least intel found so far.

What is the overall impression on the comparative quality between these three (PROOF, Hardy, Carbon 6)? - not really looking at Christensen.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

To expand on my trading post comments. I deal with both proof and hardy regularly and both are a quality barrel. Hardy has a better process for finishing barrels and they are more accurate and lighter. The price also reflects its. Proof is no slouch by any means and .5 MOA is extremely common so you start to get into splitting hairs with how accurate the rest of your individual process is. As for Carbon 6 I have yet to use one but they are or at least we're using Brux cores and Brux barrels are top notch.
    If money is not an issue on a build I always recommend hardy. All my personal guns have and will continue to have Hardy. I am currently converting my 6.5 saum from a steel lilja to a carbon Hardy and will end up with heavy barrel precision rifle that will be under 9 pounds with a NXS
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    To expand on my trading post comments. I deal with both proof and hardy regularly and both are a quality barrel. Hardy has a better process for finishing barrels and they are more accurate and lighter. The price also reflects its. Proof is no slouch by any means and .5 MOA is extremely common so you start to get into splitting hairs with how accurate the rest of your individual process is. As for Carbon 6 I have yet to use one but they are or at least we're using Brux cores and Brux barrels are top notch.
    If money is not an issue on a build I always recommend hardy. All my personal guns have and will continue to have Hardy. I am currently converting my 6.5 saum from a steel lilja to a carbon Hardy and will end up with heavy barrel precision rifle that will be under 9 pounds with a NXS
    Good info, thanks. The weight reduction without any loss of instrinsic accuracy is a big reason for this project. And I'm moving to a "non-tactical" scope (mostly to save weight as well - Leupold VX-5HD).

Ounces count. I estimate that my Savage LRH, with the NXS on it, rings, base, suppressor, and three rounds is 11½ to 12 pounds.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 01-18-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Unrelated note - I was just on Savage's site and noted that they have made pretty significant changes to the Long Range Hunter line. And added 280 Ackley as a factory chambering.

I am growing more and more fond of the BSF barrels. I think they only do AR. I shoot PCC and we have some 16 ounce 16 inch 9mm barrels coming in next week. I have a few friends that love them.

https://www.bsfbarrels.com/shop-all
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)