Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast diverter/ blast can

Default Blast diverter/ blast can

I saw an awesome looking
    AR awhile back, and upon some internet research, have devised that the parts that really stood out to me were a full length keymod rail and a blast diverter. I've decided to upgrade my off-the-shelf m&p and want to put these parts on the new upper I plan to use. Now comes the fun part- the rail is pretty straightforward. My question is about the blast diverter. Is anybody using them? I know they're more common on AR pistols, but is there any reason not to put it on a rifle? I mean, my desire stems from looks and looks only, the gun straight out of the box is more accurate than I am, so I figured the scducks brain trust could either encourage me or at least explain in some depth why I'm a moron. So, what say ye on the diverter?

Never heard it called that, but I have linear compensator for mine and I like it. Less noise and all of the blast is directed forward instead of to the sides.
    Like this one, https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...ear223-blk.htm

Im like you, I like the look of the full rail and the flash can. Reason a say flash can is because if you look on PSA's website that's what they call them on there uppers.

The actual purpose is to allow you to run a longer rail on a SBR. About as useful as tits on a boar for a rifle
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

But it looks really cool.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 01-08-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Personally, rather than a compensator of any sort, I installed a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor. It's rated even better than the standard A2 flash suppressor, and 'looks cool'. But this is on my coyote rifle where I'd like to not have a large flash give my location away if there are more than one varmint around.

The good old standard A2 FS is surprisingly one of the best in the various tests, with only a handful beating it. Most of the high $$$ one's were the worst with muzzle flash.

A recoil compensator will give you the ability for faster follow up shots, but the muzzle blast/concussion and noise isn't worth it, IMO.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-08-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

This thread hurts my head
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Just sounds like more shit to snag on shit when I grab my ROM A2 out of the rear floorboard to shoot some shit what needs shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    This thread hurts my head
    Teach, don't just bitch. Think of all the sheep you could lead into the light cone of knowledge!
    ~ George Washington

Same reason it's got a 10 round magazine in it.

What are we talking about something on the order of a Krink brake or a Noveske pig?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    What are we talking about something on the order of a Krink brake or a Noveske pig?
    That's what he's talking about. Or the cheap version - KAK Flashcan.

As Griffin said, no point on a rifle. On an AR pistol, it helps get the fireball out further away from you.

They look cool during night fire. I just completed a 10.5" upper and it is outfitted with PSA's version of a flashcan. Having the rail longer and partially covering the muzzle device allows for you to mount your front BUIS more forwards to allow for a longer sight radius.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Just sounds like more shit to snag on shit when I grab my ROM A2 out of the rear floorboard to shoot some shit what needs shooting.
    As usual, Tater, you're making sense, just like Griffin is. In my case, the Vortex flash suppressor is only on the build targeted towards hunting out of stationary positions. The truck rifle is normally the Mini-14, which doesn't have any muzzle device and no more than a 20 rounder.
    ~ George Washington

Yes, the noveske pig is an example. Forgive me if I've caused any undue stress by my question. I don't hunt with this gun, or shoot any sort of competition. It's just a toy, plain and simple. I like the way these set ups look, I'm not trying to improve any performance or turn the AR world on it's ear, I JUST LIKE THE LOOK. If these modifications won't cause the gun to melt down or put any bystanders in danger, I want to try them.

I had a KAK flashcan on a 10.5 pistol with a 12 inch rail, I didn't care much for the added weight and length. It did a good job of directing the blast forward but I switched back to a regular a2 birdcage and a 9.25 inch rail.

It would be kind of pointless on a rifle in my opinion especially if you need to shoot it in low light.

I have a 12½" barrel on my SBR (BCM upper) and run a SilencerCo Trifecta brake on it so I can QD my can. It's a bit concussive without the can, but manageable. I run the can on it 95% of the time.

I've been next to folks on the line when they were shooting 10" class SBR's with Noveske Pigs and it's effective for what it's meant to do, but I'm not interested.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Update-

Ok, I digress. I put my hands on the gun I was so enamored with, and come to find out it's a Daniel Defense rifle with an integrated suppressor, not a flash can. I have nothing against suppressors, but but I also have no desire to go through all the rigamarole involved with attaining or keeping them. Again- NOTHING AGAINST THEM OR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEM, JUST NOT MY CUP OF TEA (I figured I'd clarify before I draw the ire of the can guys). The Daniel Defense rifle also costs about 2500 skins, and if I'm gonna pay that for a toy it better have mud grips or tits on it. Anyways, I got a minimalist stock anda 15" m- lok rail (which led to a low profile gas block) and I'm sure the cornucopia of accessories are forthcoming. I actually think I may be able to start with a stripped upper and lower and see where it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

If wanting something small and fun (with a muzzle device like something you seek) then you could do a "pistol" with a 10.5" barrel and a pistol brace.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine is similar with 8.5" barrel and kak flash can. Fun to shoot but somehow louder than all get out, even with hearing protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg AR.jpg (700.6 KB, 119 views)

image.jpg

Since we're posting pictures of pistols now, here's one of my 10.5s.