Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydroturf installation

Default Hydroturf installation

Is anybody good at it
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

i will let you know in a month.....use cardboard to get the fit right then use cardboard to cut it out
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Looking for advice on it? I've recently done seadek and can't imagine it being too different.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    i will let you know in a month.....use cardboard to get the fit right then use cardboard to cut it out
    This is what I did.

Cut it slightly large and trimmed to fit in the boat.

Then, I glued it down. I went without the 3M backing, though.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I just hydroturfed the floor in a new to me chapman pirogue. It was too cold when i did it. used the red can of contact cement from home depot. google said it was the best for hydroturf. it was curling up and bubbling up and i was trying to find heavy shit to hold it down and i got really frustrated. Thought i had screwed it up but came out the next day and it had laid down on its own. Not a single bubble or curled up corner. If i were doing it again, Id get a sheet of 3/4 foam and make templates out of it. Lay the foam on the turf and put the weight on the foam.
    \"Go to Know\"

Default Hydroturf installation

prep, wipe, and clean.....measure twice, cut once.....template is nice for the smaller pieces, but i just measured from a center line for the floor.......an extra set of hands on the larger pieces would've been nice, but i managed to roll piece for floor out and put down myself.....i tapered all edges hoping they'd be less susceptible of being ripped up....went with the 3m backing......tried the spray cement on a smaller piece and it just makes more of a mess

Last edited by cleancutredneck; 01-17-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Mine turned out well I thought.

Figure out which way you want the grooves to go ahead of time and make sure you purchase enough/correct size. A pet peeve of mine is truf going more than one direction in a boat.

Make sure to line up seams ahead of time(dry fit) so the grooves and pattern will match..... You can not see my seams if you aren't looking for them.

Got to Alpine Sales or WebDon and buy contact cement that water won't f with. A gallon is much cheaper than a bunch of spray cans from a box store.

Use a sharp razor to cut. Chamfer exposed edges. Cut seams STRAIGHT. Use a straight edge if need.

Make templates.
    Roll cement on both the turf and what it is going on.

Get some more hands for big pieces.

Nothing to it...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I've done it with success, on a recommendation I went with the "better" 3m adhesive spray, I can get the # if you need it. Prep seems important, acetone and scotchbrite over bare aluminum, spray the surface and the mat, if its big get an extra set of hands. Rolling pin once down, don't overwork your edges or you'll squish all your glue out.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by BigBallin View Post
    I've done it with success, on a recommendation I went with the "better" 3m adhesive spray, I can get the # if you need it. Prep seems important, acetone and scotchbrite over bare aluminum, spray the surface and the mat, if its big get an extra set of hands. Rolling pin once down, don't overwork your edges or you'll squish all your glue out.
    What he said
    I used the 3M adhesive spray in large brown can and wiped the floor with an automotive "wax and grease" remover like body shops do before spraying paint.

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    prep, wipe, and clean.....measure twice, cut once.....template is nice for the smaller pieces, but i just measured from a center line for the floor.......an extra set of hands on the larger pieces would've been nice, but i managed to roll piece for floor out and put down myself.....i tapered all edges hoping they'd be less susceptible of being ripped up....went with the 3m backing......tried the spray cement on a smaller piece and it just makes more of a mess

Nicely done.

pro tip. don't spill gas on HT
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I put down some like five maybe years back. I know damn sure I didn't do anymore prep than drive it through the wishy wash and spend two bucks. I had it cut in pretty quick and bought it already with the 3m on. It's held up.

Bring your daughter and your boat to my house. The girls can play while we get it knocked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-18-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    pro tip. don't spill gas on HT
    Yep. Had a can turn over in the boat on the way to the beach. Nice big bubble there now.

I've done it twice without the backing and must not prep enough because I always have corners peeling regardless of the adhesive I use.

Miles let me know if this happens I will come assist if needed
    Last edited by SilverBack4Jack; 01-18-2018 at 10:57 PM.

I used liquid nail the last time, worked a lot better than contact cement IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack4Jack View Post
    Miles let me know if this happens I will come assist if needed
    Waiting on knucklehead to reply with what he wants to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I swung my jon by the wishy wash today. I've got a couple small spots that are dry rotting out.. I'm cool with it. I mean it's made it a while

Right there on the hatch

20180121_121419.jpg

I got up under a couple spots that the glue finally gave up on
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I swung my jon by the wishy wash today. I've got a couple small spots that are dry rotting out.. I'm cool with it. I mean it's made it a while

Right there on the hatch

20180121_121419.jpg

I got up under a couple spots that the glue finally gave up on
    Paint still holding up like a champ
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

It is. There are a couple spots, but it's just from my abuse. I'm pretty calm on all my stuff, but this boat. I figure maybe this year for touch ups or for a makeover.