Thread: Kayak's

Default Kayak's

Someone school me on kayak's. Seems to be about a million to choose from.

Main purpose will be to fish the Edisto. Will I get aggravated trying to paddle and fish in the current? Do I need a foot pedal propelled type yak?

Yes on the aggravated, no on the foot pedal.

However, after you get the feel for it (won't take long) you'll enjoy it.

So plan to paddle and get aggravated?

I love my Hobies!! Been fishing and hunting from them since 2011.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I was wondering what you had. You've had some big times in that thing. I miss your pictures and stories.

So that's a pedal yak. With a fish finder. Where's the battery for that thing?
    Last edited by reeltight; 01-15-2018 at 09:12 PM.

PM kayakkilla

I use a 12v 21aH SLA battery to run the Humminbird Helix 7 G2 SI. The battery is in the hull and will last for a full 18hr day of fishing without running it so low that it damages the life of the battery.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Mine is the Pro Angler 14 on the right and my wife uses the Outback on the left. Mine is stock with the exception of the installed fish finder. My wife’s is heavily modified with a lot of added on parts and accessories.

While the Diabo Adios doesn't have pedals, the stability cannot be found in an other light kayaks that are easy to move around with 1 person. I do 100% of my Florida duck hunting out of it and have not only inshore fished (including flyfishing) but have also used it offshore of of Fort Lauderdale beach on occasion.

Those Hobie are second to none, but simply heavy an hard to get in and out of tight places like the Adios can. I certainly would trust anything Ring King has to say though.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

RK, how do you think the pedals would work out for fishing the edisto?

I know you said kayak and I'd defer to Ring King and his vast experience kayak fishing but personally, I prefer a canoe. I like to haul a shitload of gear when I'm out and about and the canoe seemed to fit my needs best. My first choice is an Old Towne 119.
    http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2397/cat101212

I also had a 16' Mohawk for a few years.

Keep your eye on Craigslist and the OT 119 will show up every once and awhile for $200 -$300. If you see one snap it up quick, it won't last but a day or so.

I lived in Summerville and floated the Edisto many times, lots of fun and had a blast. There's 4-5 ramps close by that you can put in at and if the river flow is slow enough paddling upriver isn't too bad but most of my floats were downriver and leaving a truck at each ramp.
    Plenty of nice sandbars on the river to hang out on, several nice places to camp if you wanted to. (hence the canoe to bring camping gear)

These are some of the ramps I used-

https://www.edistofriends.org/edisto...g-edisto-river

Dorchester County - Edisto River, main stem
    Givhans Ferry State Park (at Hwy 61 bridge)
    Messervy Landing (off Road 162, below Givhans Ferry State Park)

Colleton County - Edisto River, main stem
    Mars Old Field Landing (off Hwy 61, west of Givhans Ferry State Park)
    Good Hope Landing (off Road 91 east of Cottageville)
    Long Creek Landing (off Road 91 just above Hwy 17-A, east of Cottageville)

One of the easiest trips and closest to your house is to put in at Long Creek landing. Paddle out to the river channel and go straight across to the big sandbar. Cool place to hang out but you need to go early in the morning and leave before the drunks show up later in the day. There's also a pretty good sandbar a mile upriver that is on a deep water bend in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    RK, how do you think the pedals would work out for fishing the edisto?
    Fine until you hit a log, or sand bars, or rocks.

Or until you run up under some limbs with one of these in it
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Here's a rig I put together a few years ago

1084.jpg

My son
    140.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Someone school me on kayak's. Seems to be about a million to choose from.

Main purpose will be to fish the Edisto. Will I get aggravated trying to paddle and fish in the current? Do I need a foot pedal propelled type yak?
    Not following the thought process here....whats wrong with the tin can??

As long as the water is a foot deep the pedals would be fine. Even if it gets shallower on occasion you can simply push the pedals apart and pin the fins to the under side of the yak. You can skim through 5” or so of water like that fairly easily. Or pull the drive when you get to sections that are extemely shallow and push pole or paddle through them.

Hobies are very efficient with the Mirage Drive and navigating upstream, in wind, or just about any wave action imaginable is pretty easy. Even a walking cadence on the pedals will get you going faster than you can fish. We fish rivers, lakes, and the ocean out here. I’ve loaded my yak down with all the camping gear needed for several days with no issues. We have even fished tandem off of mine with the second person sitting in a stadium chair on top of a 50qt cooler in the rear tank well.
    Last edited by Ring King; 01-15-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Not following the thought process here....whats wrong with the tin can??
    Nothing to follow really. Just something different...and quiet.