Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescribed burn help

I can handle the firebreaks that’s not the issue.

I just need someone around who can help me with the do’s and don’ts of burning it off. I don’t have much to burn, guessing around 30-40 acres planted pines with scrub oaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I can handle the firebreaks that’s not the issue.

I just need someone around who can help me with the do’s and don’ts of burning it off. I don’t have much to burn, guessing around 30-40 acres planted pines with scrub oaks.

I’m happy to help you out for a case of beer!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I’m happy to help you out for a case of beer!

If you're willing, I'll buy you two cases and have one on ice when you get there.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Mollie where are you located if I can I will help. You don’t have to go through the class. It just covers you more liability wise. I have been burning our 800 acres for 8 years now without the class. I call the permit in and when they ask for my number I tell them I don’t have one. Nothing is said.

Where are you located? I could help you out on a weekend if your relatively close to Charleston.
    More Ducks, Less People

Now you are speaking my language!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Located in Cartersville, SC Just outside of Timmonsville.

The more the merrier. Like I said, I don't know a thing about going about this so any help would be appreciated. I would also be really great if we didn't burn down the whole county. Luckily, we will be far away from the road and there is a river to stop us one way.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    If you're willing, I'll buy you two cases and have one on ice when you get there.
    So three cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    So three cases?
    Sorry, should have clarified. I will be purchasing two cases of his favorite beer, one of which I will place on ice. If it helps, I'll probably put in a yeti cooler.

I took the class. To get the full cert, you have to be in charge of five burns. That means you call it in and assume the liability if anything goes wrong. You won't be able to buy insurance that will cover you burning unless you have the cert and you can't get the cert unless you've done the five burns...catch 22.

The cert changes the level of liability to which you are held under SC laws. If you are certified, you will be held to the standard of gross negligence. i.e. You took all reasonable measures to prevent accidents. Without it, you are held to plain, old negligence. If a fire jumps out of its intended boundaries, negligence is assumed and proven. i.e. There was something you could have done to prevent it, however unreasonable it might seem.

They do not specify the size of the burns you need for your five cert burns. I have been doing small, easy burns for the cert. They can even be pastures, pond banks, or such. When I wanted to do a real woods fire last year, I hired a forester and relied on his insurance and cert.

The class teaches you a lot about the weather aspect of planning burns. I found it a very useful class.

I can give you the name of the guy that burned mine. He's in Dorchester. I'm very pleased with the work he has done for me. I had SCFC out to do my fire lines the first time and they did a mediocre job. I had my forester manage them coming out the next time and he was able to speak their language and direct the work to a much better outcome.

This is the area.

I always like to burn the day before turkey season. And hunt the burned area the next day.

Can’t see perfectly on phone, but I think I’m seeing char on the bark from a relatively recent burn. What are your goals? You might be better served putting resources toward thinning to get more light if you are trying to promote herbaceous groundcover.

It has been burned before. But it has been years. Basically there is some dead fall and scrub brush growing up in there and I don’t want it to get out of hand.

I would love to thin it, but can’t at the moment.

If you get the commission to put in firebreaks, make sure they do more than pull the fire plow. Ask them to blade it out so you can drive a machine around it. Bigger the break the better. A plowed up line sucks and is hard to work off in the future.

might want to talk to someone about that specific stand....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yea if the majority of that stand looks like that, getting a fire to carry through it will be tough.

It is thicker in other areas and that layer of pine straw is pretty thick.

But maybe I don't need to burn. Idk. I just want to make sure it is well taken care of.

Like others have asked...What are the end goals for the stand? Quail?