Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prescribed burn help

Default Prescribed burn help

I have some stands of timber I would like to do a burn on.

I have some equipment to clear firebreaks, most of it is already established roads. But I lack the know how of doing the task safely.

Is there someone or a service I could contact for help to get this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

SC Forestry Commission.

Forestry Commision will do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Gary Berger
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Thanks. Figured there was a way.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

In the senario things go south i got experience with burns now.... Your good to go

Are you looking for help burning or help with the firebreak installation?

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Might be worth asking your neighbors if they want to burn their land at the same time. My neighbor and I typically burn both at the same time. Which makes it alot easier. But we're also surrounded by fields so not much risk of it getting out of hand. But I would be cautious of smoke on the road as well.

Also as far as timing if you have sweet gums an early March burn will melt some sweet gums (just as soon as they get some buds on them). But you run the risk of missing your window.

The Forestry Commission will do firebreaks and burning. They are pretty good about getting to firebreaks, but it can be hard to get them there to burn especially if it's a busy fire year. We do burning at work. Sabine & Waters Inc. Forestry and Environmental Consultants out of Summerville. We are full for this season though, and can be pretty expensive unless you have bigger blocks >150-200 acres to burn.
    More Ducks, Less People

Can anyone give details on how you get certified. Is it a class through the forestry commission? Id like to sit through the class.

The Forestry Commission has a class. You have to pass the class and submit 5 burns that you were on to be a Prescribed Fire Manager.
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Can anyone give details on how you get certified. Is it a class through the forestry commission? Id like to sit through the class.
    ?(803) 896-8809?.

Call that number talk to Leslie. It’s a day long class followed by a test at the end. Then you have to do 5 “certification” burns.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    ?(803) 896-8809?.

Call that number talk to Leslie. It’s a day long class followed by a test at the end. Then you have to do 5 “certification” burns.

Thanks. It'd take me a few years to do 5 certification burns but I'd like to sit through the class. I'll give her a call.

ETA. Thanks to scquackadict as well.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 01-13-2018 at 06:34 PM.

This class teaches you about your smoke and liability of, not how to conduct a burn.....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    The Forestry Commission has a class. You have to pass the class and submit 5 burns that you were on to be a Prescribed Fire Manager.
    You have to be “in charge” of said burns.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    This class teaches you about your smoke and liability of, not how to conduct a burn.....
    Hmm. So I've done 5 or so burns. I've got a fairly safe setup the way my farm is situated. I'm good with the basics of how to burn but figured it would be worth my time to sit through a class. Not looking to get into doing it for others. Just wanted to see if there were other pointers I could pick up from the class. You saying it's more for liability and the certification?

Don't mean to detail MM. But I figured its related.

They go over some techniques and what not but most of it is smoke management. Which is a huge part of prescribed fire

Not down playing the class by any means. It is assumed that you understand​ how to conduct a burn etc prior to this course. They go over a wealth of knowledge and I highly recommend taking it if you plan to conduct any burns. Especially within any populated areas or major roads. You are responsible for your smoke until it is gone...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Hmm. So I've done 5 or so burns. I've got a fairly safe setup the way my farm is situated. I'm good with the basics of how to burn but figured it would be worth my time to sit through a class. Not looking to get into doing it for others. Just wanted to see if there were other pointers I could pick up from the class. You saying it's more for liability and the certification?

Don't mean to detail MM. But I figured its related.
    Split yours and the neighbors place up and burn in 5 sections on 5 days. Sections need not be big, just call them in under someone’s number who has been through the class. We burn 5-10 farms a year and your welcome to join us one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

As some already said, the class is mostly smoke management, which is your biggest liability with burning. You do not have to be a Prescribed Fire Manager to conduct a burn in SC, but it may give you a little more ground to stand on if you ever do have an issue.
    More Ducks, Less People