Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Sounds neat. I mean, if you're into that sorta thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I see a little wigeon in that head.....pretty bird, nice work!
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Hybrid waterfowl outside the mallard complex cannot produce fertile offspring.
    Meaning if it’s not a bird that broke off from a common ancestor, then it cannot reproduce beyond the initial hybrid.
    Mottleds, Mexicans, Blacks, Spot bills, pacific blacks, etc all evolved from mallards, that is why they are able to produce 3rd, 4th, 5th, generation birds, and in turn why domestic mallards in their breeding ranges are a direct threat to that particular species.
    There can never be a pintail, teal, widgeon hybrid. No bird can ever have “a Little widgeon in it.”

On to the green speculum...
    willyworm, hybrids will often throw characteristics unlike either parent. It’s just a glitch in the genetic make up when two species cross.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Meaning if it’s not a bird that broke off from a common ancestor, then it cannot reproduce beyond the initial hybrid.
    Mottleds, Mexicans, Blacks, Spot bills, pacific blacks, etc all evolved from mallards, that is why they are able to produce 3rd, 4th, 5th, generation birds, and in turn why domestic mallards in their breeding ranges are a direct threat to that particular species.
    There can never be a pintail, teal, widgeon hybrid. No bird can ever have “a Little widgeon in it.”

willyworm, hybrids will often throw characteristics unlike either parent. It’s just a glitch in the genetic make up when two species cross.
    Bogster.....say a wood duck and a mallard cross making an F1 hybrid. That hybrid being of the mallard complex could potentially be fertile right? The the F1 breeds with a wigeon making an F2 hybrid. That could potentially be what we have here. Assuming the original parent was a mallard. Could have been a black or a mottled.

No. The wood duck’s DNA creates the sterile reproductive organs. That F1 (the bird in the photo) simply cannot reproduce.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The only scenario that could ever play out would have to be a mallard/black F1 drake mating with a widgeon, pintail, what have you....
    Then again, that bird (the mallard/Black/widgeon) would be sterile.

Science has never documented this to my knowledge and I’ve researched it fairly well over the years.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 01-19-2018 at 10:20 AM.

No. The wood duck’s DNA creates the sterile reproductive organs. That F1 (the bird in the photo) simply cannot reproduce.
    Well...I cannot just accept that this is just your run of the mill wood duck x mallard cross without full genetic analysis. I have been in contact with several experts in the field of biology that say this hybrid is quite unusual. Apparently most hybrids are fairly easy to visually identify. This birds has traits of several different species. Once I hear back from the DNA / genetic testing, I will Be able to accept the conclusion. I'll be sure to send you the report Bogster....I'll either eat crow or say...i told yo ass!!!!!

I’d try crockpotting the crow. Doubt he’s gonna taste worth a shit fried.

The reason it has them stumped is that it’s a hen.

Hen hybrids are much more rare than drakes. I don’t know whether it’s that hen hybrid ducklings are weakling (runts) or some other factors come into play.
    Also think about this....
    Hybrid waterfowl are rare in their own right.
    The only people to get hands on wild hybrids are duck hunters.
    And what do most do? They mount the bird and hang it in there shop.

Therefore “science” rarely get’s their hands on them. You are the exception, not the rule.

The reason it has them stumped is that it’s a hen.

Hen hybrids are much more rare than drakes. I don’t know whether it’s that hen hybrid ducklings are weakling (runts) or some other factors come into play.
    Also think about this....
    Hybrid waterfowl are rare in their own right.
    The only people to get hands on wild hybrids are duck hunters.
    And what do most do? They mount the bird and hang it in there shop.

Therefore “science” rarely get’s their hands on them. You are the exception, not the rule.
    If this were your bird, what would you do? Mount it for your private collection so that when we die our kids can throw it out or put in in their shed to fall apart or donate her for the benefit of science to be preserved in a museum collection indefinitely?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Well...I cannot just accept that this is just your run of the mill wood duck x mallard cross without full genetic analysis. I have been in contact with several experts in the field of biology that say this hybrid is quite unusual. Apparently most hybrids are fairly easy to visually identify. This birds has traits of several different species. Once I hear back from the DNA / genetic testing, I will Be able to accept the conclusion. I'll be sure to send you the report Bogster....I'll either eat crow or say...i told yo ass!!!!!
    You obviously dont understand that Bogster knows every fucking thing?

Me? Lol.

I woulda snapped a pic, sent it to a few friends, and crockpotted her right along side the other wood ducks.

But in all seriousness, donate it and get the certificate/photo. That will be much cooler than a dusty, big-eyed duck hanging in the corner of your den.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    You obviously dont understand that Bogster knows every fucking thing?
    I was cursed with an unstoppable desire to learn everything I could about ducks.
    Then found scducks.com and realized how dumb the general “duck hunting” community was when it came to ducks.
    Not just ducks either... this site is full of grown ass men that liken themselves to woodsy, rough, outdoorsmen, yet most can’t identify a chicken snake before or after they fearfully pumped it full of 9mm from atop their toolbox.

I chopped this one with a hoe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I was cursed with an unstoppable desire to learn everything I could about ducks.
    Then found scducks.com and realized how dumb the general “duck hunting” community was when it came to ducks.
    Not just ducks either... this site is full of grown ass men that liken themselves to woodsy, rough, outdoorsmen, yet most can’t identify a chicken snake before or after they fearfully pumped it full of 9mm from atop their toolbox.
    Lol! It makes me laugh inside when I talk with people about rabbit hunting. I hunt everything but I really enjoy beagling. You know you are talking to a goon when they start telling you about how rabbits run in holes and swamp rabbits taking them for a wild ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    If this were your bird, what would you do? Mount it for your private collection so that when we die our kids can throw it out or put in in their shed to fall apart or donate her for the benefit of science to be preserved in a museum collection indefinitely?
    I can assure you this. It won't be better taken Care of in a museum!

My personal collection is 1000 x's better and in mint condition compared to even the Smithsonian's which is on display in Washington DC. I would suspect the same for many of the folks on here that have amassed their own collections.

That said what happens to my collection after I die makes not 2 shits to me! I hope it will appreciates by whom ever it ends up with.
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

It looks like a coot x merganser hybrid to me! Nice bird!

What's this?

0929.jpg

I'll just forego the suspense and tell you the part that I'm hung up on, that way we can skip past the semantics battle and you can head straight to clarifying what's got me scratching my head.

It's the bold part.

It’s a mule duck. Mallard/Pintail hybrid. My hunting partner killed on about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    What's this?

0929.jpg