Thread: Digital Antenna

Default Digital Antenna

Who has one and what’s been your experience? Setting up at the new house and going no cable company if I can help it.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

The cheap one from Amazon has worked well for me. There is a link to the one I have in the thread below on the second page. I get channels from Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston where I'm at.

You can mount it in your attic if you don't have a metal roof (according to the reviews).

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread....igital+antenna

$30 on Amazon TV Antenna - Outdoor Amplified HD Digital HDTV Antenna 150 Mile Range Motorized 360 Degree Rotation, Vansky TV Antenna for 2 TVs Support - UHF/VHF Signal Wireless Remote Control - 33FT Coax Cable

Mine is 3 years old and no issues, clear pictures for all local stations. Closest station is 28 miles away from my house.

Going without cable means no channel guide, screen takes a while to load with digital antenna and no DVR. I can't do it, then again I like TV.
    t

Works good for the times I actually watch "live" TV.

I caught a couple of Clemson games on it this year (ABC). Otherwise, I don't use it at all.

However, it works pretty well.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Going without cable means no channel guide, screen takes a while to load with digital antenna and no DVR. I can't do it, then again I like TV.
    t
    A digital antenna allows for a channel guide. I surely have one on my TV...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Vilso-Antenna...ref_=yo_ii_img

I don't watch much TV at all but this works great when I use it
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Amplif...tal+tv+antenna

I've got this one. I get about 12 channels clear as a bell, another 3 if the weather is right. Most of the stations are 30-90 miles away, the one I only occasionally get is about 40 miles. Dont know why that one acts up.

I got rid of cable TV at home but kept internet. They can't separate the internet signal from the TV signal or they are the same signal, I don't know, all I know is I still have cable TV because I kept internet. I don't get all the cable channels in HD, but the local ones are in HD.

I put up a channelmaster xtremetenna 80 in my attic last year and was getting Columbia and Augusta channels. I hooked up a channelmaster dvr+ and started picking up Charlotte channels too. If my wife was willing to have an external antenna I have no doubt I couldn't pick up Greenville stations. I like the dvr. I get a guide and can record and pause live tv.

I just bought a new tv and get sling for 30 days free with it. Going to try the digital antenna and sling for a month and if I don’t like it go back to cable I guess.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I just bought a new tv and get sling for 30 days free with it. Going to try the digital antenna and sling for a month and if I don’t like it go back to cable I guess.
    Lots of other options out there. And all have a trial of some sort. I'm paying $40 a month for Vue and have netflix. So I'm in for less than $54 and have service on 4 tvs. Where the cable and satellite companies kill you is the equipment fees for multiple tvs. If you only have one tv the savings are harder to justify.

I turned all my crap into Charter or Spectrum whatever it's called up here, on Tuesday. It's only been a few days, but I don't miss it the slightest. I think I will invest in one of the digital antennas to get some of the football games, but maybe not.

Alright gents, reviving an old thread here but this is what popped up on my search.

Kicked cable a few months ago and don't miss it but would like to put together a plan for local network stations without a subscription, preferably before football season comes back in.

I'd imagine some changes have occurred in this tech since 2018. So in my ignorance, I'm struggling with the type of set up options I'm looking at here. My primary question is is there any device that can take the digital signal accepted by the antenna (which I'll mount in my attic) , then convert it into a HDMI out that can run thru my A/V receiver?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-08-2022 at 06:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I don’t know about the new antennas, but I am pretty sure you can buy a coax to hdmi adapter.

Okay, so, the coax coming out of a digital TV antenna has a bunch of channels flowing in it all at once while a HDMI port only takes a single channel so you'll need some sort of tuner. If your TV already has a coax input, you're probably better off using that because you can change channels with the same remote you use for the TV. Otherwise, you'll end up with two remotes. I looked at Amazon and the coax to hdmi boxes only convert a coax with a single channel (like a security camera) into HDMI - these boxes cannot convert a multiplexed coax to HDMI. So, does your TV have a coax input?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

BTW - I literally, just on Friday, had my cable TV turned off and installed a digital antenna. I got pretty good reception on 18 or so channels but there's a lot of overlap (like several CBS stations, etc.).

Go here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps and enter your zip code and it will tell you the stations and signal strengths you can expect. If you click on the channels listed on the left hand side it will even show the direction from your house so you can determine the best window to install the antenna. Here's the antenna I got - it literally showed up the same day I ordered it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XQLW1H7...t_details&th=1

Makes sense RH. I guess for some reason I was thinking that an external device could handle the tuning, but makes sense that that would occur within the TV.

And yes, it has a coax input.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    And yes, it has a coax input.
    Then all you need is the antenna with the coaxial output. The one I got with the link above has a USB but it is only to power the antenna. Some antenna's a passive and don't require a power source but I assume the powered antennas have better (longer) reception ranges.