Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface Drive Motors

Default Surface Drive Motors

Know absolutely nothing about them, I have never even ridden in a rig with one.
    $3500 budget for a used one, +/- $500. What make/model would you look for?
    17ft Alumaweld customized boat.

I would absloutly not ever put a surface dive on anything but a true mud boat
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

X2 ^

X3^

Why is that?
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Anyone have or have opinions on a copperhead surface drive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Why is that?
    Smooth bottom is main thing. Weight distribution in the hull design also provides best performance for those super heavy surface drives. Rounded or tapered chines for shallow water turning. The hulls are all .125 or thicker aluminum and can flat run over anything.

Reason I got rid of my surface drive rig is the weight. I’m not the type to go full bore and run over everything so there brings the potential to get stuck in that heavy ass boat if not on plane in shallow water. Especially on hard bottoms where the motor can’t dig to get going again. You get it stuck by yourself you are in for a rough day. I know from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shallow water and surface drive means all gas and no brakes. Remember there are no pussies in the hall of fame
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I have one on a riveted boat, so I can get myself unstuck when I'm by myself.

I am learning

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I have one on a riveted boat, so I can get myself unstuck when I'm by myself.
    It won’t be riveted for much longer!

Take Griffens advice. I am guilty of ignoring it and I immediately put it on Craig’s when I got back from the first time I took it out. If you don’t have the right boat you’re asking for trouble. In order for the motor to run right you’d have to run a smaller, lighter motor on a bigger boat, OR add so much damn weight to it, if you hit something the fucker will snap in 2!

Put a 50 tohatsu, skeg guard, and a kick plate on that alumaweld and run the shit out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Put a 50 tohatsu, skeg guard, and a kick plate on that alumaweld and run the shit out of it.
    He's already got a Yamaha 50 on it. As for the other stuff I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Anyone have or have opinions on a copperhead surface drive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I am headed to my buddies camp I will try to shoot a video and GPS speeds of what a 23 horse power copperhead can do on a 17 foot skiff mud boat

Hey Rick , don’t put a mud motor on that Jon boat You will hate the way it performs
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I bought a welded Duracraft that had been run with a big long tail on it. Hull was hooked to hell and back and no way to fix it. Expensive lesson but a lesson learned.

If you want to run a mud motor get a mudboat.

I just got a 1854 go devil with a 37 surface drive and it totes a load pretty good. Getting 2 guys, gear, dog, cooler, etc about 27mph and by myself about 30mph.
    "run and gun guide service"

A $3500 dollar budget for a mud motor, will make for a work out mud motor. Plus, your boat ain't gonna like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Yep. I have a border collie mix that is smarter than most of the people on this site.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    A $3500 dollar budget for a mud motor, will make for a work out mud motor. Plus, your boat ain't gonna like it.
    I have 6k in a 1644 gatortrax hunt deck with a 35 mud buddy CDI. Gotta be patient and ready to buy when a deal pops up