Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun Fitting

When turkey hunting, you're using a shotgun like rifle. With a super tight pattern and a stationary target, you may need beads or sights. My only concern about stock fit while turkey hunting is how bad it's going to kick me. For moving targets, it's very different.

When fitting a shotgun, some fitters use a patterning board. They get the customer to throw the gun up naturally and shoot a board or plate that marks where the pellets hit. From that they can make fine adjustment to the stock fit.

There's more that goes into stock fitting than I understand. I've had an instructor make me subtly adjust my foot one way or another to change the way my stock fits into the shoulder pocket. I was astounded when it made a difference.

I know a lot of fitters use a patterning board to check gun fit and it makes sense in theory. But I can tell you without a doubt, I can't hit the same spot twice with a shotgun to save my life. Which is why the good fitters want to see you shoot clay targets.

To elaborate on PB was saying gun fit can be impacted by where you place the leading hand on the gun in addition to stance. A good gunfitter will work with you on all aspects.

I see a lot of guys that don't understand how important the leading hand is. Your leading hand should lightly cradle the forearm with the thumb and index finger pointed forward. I see all sorts of whacked shit like finger stacking and with the index finger wrapped around the forearm. I just have to shake my head when someone says "where was i"? I don't even know where to start.
    Last edited by Gander; 01-11-2018 at 12:13 PM.

I guess the assumption with fitting is that in the best case the gun shoots straight to start with. In my mind a gun that patterns a foot low (below the bead) is going to require fitting/shimming to get your line of sight that much higher over the rib, more rib showing etc., so the pattern is hitting where you are pointing. It would also mean you would have to remember that sight picture if you wanted to use the gun for things like turkey hunting where you need references for sighting, shooting like a rifle. I fully understand how applying movement and adjusting for lead while wing shooting further complicates things but if the gun is off to start with then isn't the fitting becoming more like compensating? Not arguing here at all and probably well over my head, just trying to understand in an effort to apply this. I've had dedicated guns I couldn't get to pattern where I wanted, the only route I could find short of barrel bending to correct was installing sights. If I am understanding the theme here then I need to adjust fit, shim etc. on the gun till the pattern falls as desired and then just shoulder, point and shoot with no regard to bead or rib. Most folks who miss usually do so by shooting high, not getting their cheek down fully on the stock. I guess that's where it was drilled into me so long ago to level the rib/use bead for reference.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

sounds like you have a long turkey neck - might need a cheek pad for your gun- little stubby no necks never have a problem. I have 2 sons- one of each. I taught them to slightly push the gun away as they raise it and to pull it back into their shoulder while looking at the target only and with a little practice it will naturally fit where you are looking. My long neck son always wanted to scrunch his face down on the gun like he was at a turkey shoot, this solved his problem.

What you are describing is an issue with either the barrel or the choke. Don't know if you are talking about a single barrel or if this is a double. If it's a double then you could be dealing with a convergence problem.

I try to avoid such problems by sticking with brands and models with a proven track record. Keep in mind, if you are talking about inches, it's no big deal. Your patterns is 30 inches across at 40 yards. If it's off by feet, then you may have a legitimate problem.

Bottom line, forget about beads. If the gun is putting the pattern where you are looking, that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Gander; 01-11-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    I guess the assumption with fitting is that in the best case the gun shoots straight to start with. In my mind a gun that patterns a foot low (below the bead) is going to require fitting/shimming to get your line of sight that much higher over the rib, more rib showing etc., so the pattern is hitting where you are pointing. It would also mean you would have to remember that sight picture if you wanted to use the gun for things like turkey hunting where you need references for sighting, shooting like a rifle. I fully understand how applying movement and adjusting for lead while wing shooting further complicates things but if the gun is off to start with then isn't the fitting becoming more like compensating? Not arguing here at all and probably well over my head, just trying to understand in an effort to apply this. I've had dedicated guns I couldn't get to pattern where I wanted, the only route I could find short of barrel bending to correct was installing sights. If I am understanding the theme here then I need to adjust fit, shim etc. on the gun till the pattern falls as desired and then just shoulder, point and shoot with no regard to bead or rib. Most folks who miss usually do so by shooting high, not getting their cheek down fully on the stock. I guess that's where it was drilled into me so long ago to level the rib/use bead for reference.
    You actually use the word pointing in this post, but pretty much everything you've said leads me to believe you're confused about what that means. And I'm thinking your turkey gun might be the problem. You should treat that gun like its a rifle.

It's most certainly been chokes in a few cases, drilled and tapped off center. Have also seen guns shoot one particular load off to the side and several others true to center. Have seen proven turkey guns that suddenly shot off poa/poi badly that proved to simply be loaded up with wad fouling because the owner was lazy and didn't clean it appropriately with a plastic wad dissolving type bore cleaner. The guns then shot true after a good cleaning.

I still can't make the leap from a patterning a wing shooting gun any different than using it for turkey hunting if you are trying to prove poa/poi. In either case I'd want the center of the pattern to hit center of where I was either pointing the gun or aiming. I'd think in either case you use two references to consistently align. Reference #1 your eyeball and #2 the bead or whatever is your vision of the gun sticking out front. I'd think fitting/shimming would only adjust where ref#1 is. I think it won't fix a gun that shoots low. Shimming just puts your head up higher to basically adjust you. I'm ok with all that. I'd just want a gun to fit and everything still align to center so it don't matter what I want to shoot, flying or standing still. My previous understanding is that fitting/shimming was simply to accomplish getting your eyeball to align with the rib and beads and then the pattern falls right there where you are looking, turkey neck or no neck.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post

I still can't make the leap from a patterning a wing shooting gun any different than using it for turkey hunting if you are trying to prove poa/poi.
    Let me give you an example, completely true, no exaggerations. My gun was fitted and I'm fairly decent at pointing it. When I'm shooting sporting clays, probably 65-70% of the targets I break inside of 30 yards will turn to a ball of dust when I pull the trigger. They do that because they were centered in the shot string. And generally, I shoot somewhere between 80 and 90% in tournaments.

I took this same shotgun to a turkey shoot and missed an entire target. Not one pellet strike. All high.

Make of that what you'd like. I don't shoot paper. Ever.

Sounds like you changed your sight picture at the turkey shoot. Not arguing anything here at all.

Pointing to me means you are concentrating on the target more so than sight references. When I shoot ducks I am trying to touch that bead to them or pull it past them, not squinting one eye but still using the end of the gun as a reference. Ditto on doves and whatever. Turkeys? I level the rib to make sure I have my head down, center the bead and squeeze. I always thought point and aim should ideally arrive at the same result with a shotgun. May be wrong.

You have to use the toothpick and charcoal trick if you really want to shoot well.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    You have to use the toothpick and charcoal trick if you really want to shoot well.
    Enlighten us please

I'd go take a lesson. Lots to worry about before fitting. Unless you're a giant or a midget or you're head is square, your gun probably fits well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I'd go take a lesson. Lots to worry about before fitting. Unless you're a giant or a midget or you're head is square, your gun probably fits well enough.
    Great advice!

I’m a big bastard with gorilla arms is why I had mine fitted