Thread: Cow Elk Guide Recommendations

Default Cow Elk Guide Recommendations

Looking for some recommendations, if anyone has been with a guide good or bad. Trying to get a hunt for this coming season, 2018.

Let me know.

Thanks
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Rifle I assume?

Lord help you if you need a guide to kill a cow elk
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Rifle I assume?
    Yes, they tend to be a late season hunt Novemeber 1-30th seems to be the average dates.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Lord help you if you need a guide to kill a cow elk
    We can't all be as bad ass as you. Help us special needs fellas out.

Given my limited resources, i.e. time, money and experience, I would like to put myself in the best opportunity to bring some meat home. Guide seems like the right way to do it. Might cost a little more up front, but with a little homework, I think the safe bet would be following around someone who lives there rather than spending all summer reading forums and studying maps for a maybe.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 01-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.

I know a guy that can put you on a cow with very minimal travel
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    We can't all be as bad ass as you. Help us special needs fellas out.

Given my limited resources, i.e. time, money and experience, I would like to put myself in the best opportunity to bring some meat home. Guide seems like the right way to do it. Might cost a little more up front, but with a little homework, I think the safe bet would be following around someone who lives there rather than spending all summer reading forums and studying maps for a maybe.
    Honestly man I am just trying to help you out. A little research and some leg work and you can easily kill yourself a cow elk. Honestly I probably have most of the info already figured out depending on where you intend to hunt and what tag you have. It will literally save you thousands
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I don't mean this is A smart ass but have you ever been out there and seen the sheer number of cow elk? Killing a good bull is a completely different topic but a cow is very very easy

One thing you might consider, if you are experienced with a bow, is to pay to get on a decent ranch. There might be lodging, help with your downed critter, good game populations and this ....... being in the West when it is beautiful and elk are doing awesome shit. Nov in the west with a rifle guarantees you'll miss many of the best aspects of elk hunting. Money and chance of success would be similar but overall experience would be much better imho. Utah, Colorado, MT, WY all have what I just described.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Looking for some recommendations, if anyone has been with a guide good or bad. Trying to get a hunt for this coming season, 2018.

Let me know.

Thanks
    You got a particular state in mind?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    You got a particular state in mind?
    Not really.

If you are just hunting for meat I would look into a late season "trespass hunt" in Northern Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    If you are just hunting for meat I would look into a late season "trespass hunt" in Northern Utah.
    I would look into a early season trespass hunt in Arizona and shoot a bull instead of a cow. My .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I would look into a early season trespass hunt in Arizona and shoot a bull instead of a cow. My .02 cents
    Good call.

are you hunting for meat or for an experience?

re-read stripa's post. He sucks at making himself clear but try to read into what he is saying....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I understand what he is saying. But I don't bow hunt anymore.

There are lots and lots of places you could have a great and successful hunt on your own. Wyoming in particular stands out to me, as I have hunted there more than any other western state. Pm me if you want some general information regarding an area to check out. I would give you specifics if I still recalled them but I am senile.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    There are lots and lots of places you could have a great and successful hunt on your own. Wyoming in particular stands out to me, as I have hunted there more than any other western state. Pm me if you want some general information regarding an area to check out. I would give you specifics if I still recalled them but I am senile.
    Pm sent

I've whittled my way down to 5 units in WY with a cow tag of some sort and a smidgen of public land with what onx maps calls elk habitat. My eyes might cross soon.