Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $7,000 in Fines by DNR in Georgetown County, Anyone Confirm?

I've been checked waterfowl hunting 3 times....
    First time...my first year hunting with a federal stamp....i didn't know you had to sign it....he lent me a pen to sign it before he looked at it again
    Second was in Georgetown a few years ago....two guys just asked if i killed anything and that was it
    Third was by a federal guy in North Dakota....nicest one yet...after checking us pulled out a map and circled 4 spots for us to go hunt....we ended up killing a limit at those spots the next 4 days
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

$1,050 used to be the max fine for not having a federal stamp, don't know if that's changed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    $1,050 used to be the max fine for not having a federal stamp, don't know if that's changed or not.
    Friend tell you that?
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    They get a paycheck and it’s voluntary. You need to get out more if that’s the most thankless hard job you can think of.
    Haha thAts what I was thinking
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Federal boys can be tough. I’ve had a house raided in another state. Searched everything but the rectum. And followed us around for 3 days prior. No tickets written
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Once this is done, you fill out a financial sheet for court, so they can determine your ability to pay within the range of max and minimum fines.

At least that's what a friend told me.
    So it's cheaper to poach if you are poor? I'm sorry but any kind of fine based on your financial status is crap. That's a tax not a fine.

A thief is a thief is a thief. Be it stealing at Wally World or stealing game. But I think the fines are a bit stiff. I would say fine them 10%, take away their hunting AND fishing licenses for 5 years, sentence them to 5 years of jail time, suspended if they stay clean for 5 years. If they get caught they do the time.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

I have been checked by the same wardens one time this year. The guys that check me where I hunt are good peeps. I hunt everyday and see them everyday. I shoot the shit with them for about a he get some reports of birds from them. Tell them well gotta go see ya tomorrow. They are good people for sure. I try to help them out as much as I can.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Georgia used to post the names and fines for people that had been caught online. It was always interesting but at least in GA the fines we're set by the local county. What burned me up was that in many cases there would be an out of state hunter caught hunting without a license and fined $300. You don't have to be an actuary to figure out that the risk was worth the reward in this case.

I like the trophy fees that they apply in some of the western states. Basically if you kill a big animal illegally you are fined for the cost of what it would have cost to kill it through a guide. Kill a big bull elk illegally. Pay a 7k fine.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    So it's cheaper to poach if you are poor? I'm sorry but any kind of fine based on your financial status is crap. That's a tax not a fine.
    The hospital is doing the same shit.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Friend tell you that?
    I was with one of your friends when he found that out

I can honestly say I've never had a bad interaction with a game warden even when I've been ticketed they were cool about it. The game warden on the lake I hunt now doesn't check me anymore. Just asks what I have killed.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I was with one of your friends when he found that out
    Ah... Short bald fella.with fat sasgue fingers?

Asking for a friend...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

The wardens here have literally been missing for nearly the entire season. I’ve hunted more than normal on public, which is surprising, and know the officers well. No clue where they’ve been. Did hear of a big ticket getting written for rallying birds but that was a month in the works. Sucks when property owners get your boat numbers and documents you doing he same crime over and over again. I hope the young lads learn a valuable lesson as they will be working that fine off for a long time!

I got fined $1200 long ago by a guy that wrote a book- said he owed me plenty for all the times I got away- I paid him again when I bought his book to see if I was in it- I was once quite an outlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I got fined $1200 long ago by a guy that wrote a book- said he owed me plenty for all the times I got away- I paid him again when I bought his book to see if I was in it- I was once quite an outlaw.
    So did you make the book?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    The hospital is doing the same shit.
    Yep and it all starts with a wallet biopsy when you sign in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-10-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Ah... Short bald fella.with fat sasgue fingers?

Asking for a friend...
    That does ring a bell....

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    So did you make the book?
    no- but I should have
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 01-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Just so everyone is clear, my original post was a question wondering if anyone knew what it took to warrant a $3,500 x 2 = $7,000 fine. I was not laying blame or editorializing about the LEOs. I have met some great ones and I have met some real power happy jerks. The great ones far outnumber the jerks but it is easy to forget the professional ones when there is a bee flying around your head. I can tell you that IF someone would have said it was for rallying, I would have believed them. There were so many ducks on the water that morning on the way back to the landing. We literally almost ran over some very desireable ducks and not because we were trying.

I once had a green jean tell me he hated the big fines because it put GW lives at risk. Simply put, if he came across some real outlaw deep in the woods that had heard of big fines, the encounter may not go well. I am still chasing a copy of the news story of a particular incident in Clarendon County about a guy going to jail for pot that was found in his home after his property was searched for a turkey killed out of season. If anyone knows the story, any part of it, message me, please. Thanks, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero