Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drawing attention to myself while killing ducks...

Where are you exactly? I would like to come up there and hunt it first thing in the morning. I'm good at picking up my hulls and trash from my constant snacking... Okay, I lied about picking up after myself, but I would definitely like to kill your ducks. PM me if you don't want to share with these wannabe cyber-scouters.

Damn jealous. Good work.

-9 is damn cold! You have to be very careful, as any water splashing on your gun/call/anything freezes instantly. The Widgeon was with two other Widgeon and two blacks joined their circle/descent...I throw up and squeeze...nada. They all circle out, Blacks wanted no part of another pass and disappeared...the three Widgeon circled back again and I had to jerk my trigger to break it free before killing him on the third shot. Not sure what happened, but I think blood from the Pintail dropped onto my trigger and froze it up.

Birds are here because the creeks are shallow and fast moving and have plenty of open areas...lots of spilled corn and soybeans in all the crops surrounding the creeks. As long as they can find some liquid to set their tail feathers in, they aren’t leaving.

I think everyone looks OOS at the big name spots, and they would be better served by finding some obscure rural spot in some Midwest flyover state that has a few creeks but nothing major...places that are not known for duck hunting...and go there for a week or so in the spring or summer and try to secure permission to access the small creeks. Indiana is no duck hunting Mecca, and I know I’m in one of the worst spots in the state...but I guarantee you that if you can find an open piece of 20’ wide creek in the midst of one of these arctic plunges, you can make your entire season with just a few days of frigid weather. It may not be much for 95% of the season, but for 5%, you’d be hard pressed to find a higher concentration of quality mixed species with lower pressure.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 01-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Hell of a day sir, get that knee healed. I just messed mine up pretty bad skiing.