Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater fly rod

My first was the same setup as Bogs. Get a good entry level setup like that and then put good line on it. The line makes a big difference.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Picking a rod is like a gun, some work better for others. It depends on what type of action you want on the rod and the quality. You can go cheap and you can go expensive as with anything. If I was spending money, Id put it in the reel. Drag means something when fighting fish on a fly rod.

Don't rule out a one piece fiberglass rod. You can get one at Cabela's cheap and a lot of folks love the way those one piece fiberglass rods cast.
    DILLIGAF

I had a TFO lefty kreh model, with a cabelas reel. I am not a good fly fisherman so after I got yelled at by a little Belizein a few years ago to “furzher furzher.....shreeep, shreep, damn it”. I sold it.

if i was buying a fly rod in charleston, this is the only place i would go. It seemed to be the least pretentious of them all and they know their stuff. Also fun to hang out with. http://lowcountryflyshop.com

I second LCFS. Go in, tell them what you have to spend, and they will do the rest.

All that said, fly fishing is an art form that takes practice. An experienced fly fisherman can drop a fly in a hat at 50 feet with a $50 rod as well as with a $500 rod. Some can even do it without a rod. If I had $300 to spend I would spend $100 on the rod, $100 on the reel, and $100 on the line. TFO has the NXT that is a great starter combo, and its here http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-...BoCJckQAvD_BwE for $150

We've mostly made recs based on quality for your budget. What kind of fishing do you plan to do?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

does spending thousands on fly fishing gear make you a better fisherman?

Does it make better casts?

I bet I have $200 in my combo and catch stuff. I absolutely cannot comment on any of these manufacturers...and I cant imagine walking into a store to "try some rods out." they all feel wippy as hell....esp the expensive ones.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Default Saltwater fly rod

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    We've mostly made recs based on quality for your budget. What kind of fishing do you plan to do?
    I live on Parris Island so I want to wade the flats around the area. I can see tailing reds 100 yds from the House somedays.

Another boat is probably in the works too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 12-27-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Make sure you when you take a picture to look directly into the fishes eyes.
    Last edited by murraywader; 12-27-2017 at 12:38 PM.

I like a medium action rod with a line 1 rating heavier than rod rating for reds in the grass. Easy to load without false cast for short range. Slower action usually means less expensive. If you aren't going to Cuba for permit in the next few years you'll catch fish like the Toothdoc. Spend just enough on reel to avoid corrosion. Reds in grass don't test drags. Finally, invite me.
    Last edited by Stripa Swipa; 12-27-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

drag smag

i still dont get fancy rods. i can understand expensive LINE though....

You don't get a lot of things.

Rubberhead

Lowcountry Fly Shop if you're in the area. Only been in Bay Street twice but both times i wasn't overly impressed by the employees.

Finally, invite me.
    Will do.

Default Saltwater fly rod

Edited
    Last edited by led0321; 12-27-2017 at 02:03 PM.

You don't get a lot of things.
    i'm offended

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    does spending thousands on fly fishing gear make you a better fisherman?

Does it make better casts?

I bet I have $200 in my combo and catch stuff. I absolutely cannot comment on any of these manufacturers...and I cant imagine walking into a store to "try some rods out." they all feel wippy as hell....esp the expensive ones.
    If you are using up your precious vacation time on an expensive bonefishing trip with a guide you're paying and need to make long casts into the wind at spooky fish, the extra money you spent on a better rod and a reel with a great drag will seem justifiable. For spottails near home, damn near any rod/reel combo will do.

When I was looking for a 4wt. pond fly rod for bream, I checked out bunches of rods and finally found one I think is perfect. I have other ones but I can most certainly feel the difference and cast better with the good one and I'd bet most folks could tell the difference side by side. It wasn't anywhere near the most expensive rod I tried but it was worth it to me to test drive before I bought. I could catch bream on a cane pole or with a cast net but I prefer a good fly rod.

TFO rod and a Redington behemoth.

Now what about the Line? What’s the best option in that regard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Aurora (I think) reel I got for saltwater fishing - I'll need to dig that thing out. And likely sell it. I may keep the big ass 10 or 12 weight Shakespeare Ugly Stick fly rod I got for chasing jack crevalle, though.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen