Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saltwater fly rod

Default Saltwater fly rod

I need some suggestions on a rig or a decent combo for reds. Bay Street outfitters in Beaufort seems like a decent place to get started but I have no clue.

I really do not know what my budget is but I don’t want to buy one and then realize I could cast 15’ farther for another $100.

Learn me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of it is going to depend on your budget.

Definitely want to go 8 weight. Hatch makes a great reel, but they are on the higher side price wise, but I love mine. Also have a Lamson Speedster in 8 wt that is great and not nearly as expensive. It is on a Scott A4 rod and I love it. My dad has a TFO BVK combo and for the money that is a hard combo to beat if you are just going to start out.

The biggest thing is to go into Bay Street and ask to cast several of them. You will know right away which best suits your casting style. Just because I like one or Lefty Kreh says its the greatest doesnt mean that it is the best or greatest for you. Once you cast one several times you will know which one is best for you. Just remember that the cost can be upwards of $800-900 for just the rod

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    A lot of it is going to depend on your budget.

Definitely want to go 8 weight. Hatch makes a great reel, but they are on the higher side price wise, but I love mine. Also have a Lamson Speedster in 8 wt that is great and not nearly as expensive. It is on a Scott A4 rod and I love it. My dad has a TFO BVK combo and for the money that is a hard combo to beat if you are just going to start out.

The biggest thing is to go into Bay Street and ask to cast several of them. You will know right away which best suits your casting style. Just because I like one or Lefty Kreh says its the greatest doesnt mean that it is the best or greatest for you. Once you cast one several times you will know which one is best for you. Just remember that the cost can be upwards of $800-900 for just the rod
    I would like to stay under 500 ish if I can?

I would at least throw that into your attire if you plan on being close to Charleston then distress it so you've looked like you've been there.

500 for the combo or for just the rod? The combo might be hard to do, but the rod at or just under $500 should have quite a few nice options

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    500 for the combo or for just the rod? The combo might be hard to do, but the rod at or just under $500 should have quite a few nice options
    Right on. I didn’t realize they were as high as they are. I need to walk into Baystreet and get an idea.

You certainly don’t need to spend more than a couple hundred dollars to catch trout, spottails, rockfish, Spanish, small tunas, cobia, etc.
    I’ve got a 9ft (8wt) Reddington rod (69$) and a TFO reel (80$)

Have caught all fish listed above with no problem, no Huk performance clothing, and no stupid flappy hat.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Bay Street is a great place to spend a pile of money and still not increase your chances at getting a fish to take a fly.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Bay Street is a great place to spend a pile of money and still not increase your chances at getting a fish to take a fly.
    I’m sure

I have a TFO and a Gloomis reel, whole set up less than $300.
    I'm not a big fly guy but have caught plenty of nice fish with a more cost effective set up. If you love it and want a 2k combo later, easy to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    I have a TFO and a Gloomis reel, whole set up less than $300.
    I'm not a big fly guy but have caught plenty of nice fish with a more cost effective set up. If you love it and want a 2k combo later, easy to move up.
    This is what I need

Some good pointers here, definately walk in and try a few (brands and weights) to see what feels best.

for saltwater I like a slightly faster action in the rod.

I think TFO is best value in rods right now. I like the Redington Behemoth reel for your budget range.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Prayers sent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I think TFO is best value in rods right now.
    I concur. I have quite a few salt water fly rods and some expensive ones but the TFO rods are as well built as any. It will take you a while to get to the point that you could even notice the difference in a super top end rod. Spottails don't require really longs casts anyway.

Buy something cheap to start, buying a quality rod is an expensive way to learn you don't have the desire to spend your entire day on the water for a chance at a few fish. If you do find you enjoy it, you will wish you spent more.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

x2 TFO BVK & Redington Behemoth

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I think TFO is best value in rods right now. I like the Redington Behemoth reel for your budget range.
    Roger. Thanks

I found a TFO dealer in Port Royal so I will check it out.

What ever you go with be religious about washing after use and meticulous about cleaning/dressing the line. $1200 outfits don't cast sandpaper very well.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead