Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avery Heritage Wading Jacket fit

Default Avery Heritage Wading Jacket fit

Looking at buying a jacket, I’m in between sizes and need to see how they fit. Anyone have a line on their fit.

Thanks
    Joey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Not trying to jack this thread up.. Serious question what's the big deal with these wax jackets? Am I missing out? I am just wondering if they are real warm, keep you dry or what. I seem to see all the Jones style people wearing them. So is it a fad or am I waisting money on all these other brands.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Not trying to jack this thread up.. Serious question what's the big deal with these wax jackets? Am I missing out? I am just wondering if they are real warm, keep you dry or what. I seem to see all the Jones style people wearing them. So is it a fad or am I waisting money on all these other brands.
    Wax jackets are durable as hell, wind proof, and waterproof. They are not warm until you put in a liner or have a base layer underneath. In other words...you don't want to wear one with a tshirt. But if you wear one with a good warm long sleeve shirt they are hard to beat. Very durable, waterproof as the day is long, and work well for basic camouflage.

I own a Sitka boreal jacket and it's a fantastic jacket. I only wear it when it's really cold. But it's not nearly as duarable as my wax jacket. I have to kind of "mind my manners" for fear of ripping it on something when hunting, especially in timber. So the wax jacket gets the nod most times. Simple, dependable, warm and durable.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 12-25-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Wax cotton, wool sweater, and polypropylene.

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Hell...wax cotton and merino wool will keep you warm in about 90% of the conditions you find.

I’ve tried on the XL, seemed to fit pretty true to size.

The trends on SCDucks crack me up. Up until a few years ago, people that wore grease coats were Orvis-worshiping frat stars that were ridiculed at boat landings. More recently, everyone started recommending them. Kind of funny.

I do like my Filson though.

To heck with a waxed coat. It's 2017.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I've worn them hunting for most of my life. I have been cold as balls a few times though, but dry. And it's rare for me to admit to a moment of weakness.

Reckon I have owned about all of them and its very hard to beat a Mcalister waxed wading jacket with a layer underneath. Not sure to size Joey as to Avery.
    Genesis 9;2

Ok well what's the best base layer? Im going to try one out. What's a good one to start with that won't break the bank.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I looked at one at Macks last week, I will stick with my Filson.
    cut\'em

Seems like I saw some of that line at Atlantic Game and Tackle not long ago, if you're in Charleston and want to try one on.

Go buy a hooded Carhart jacket and a can of wax.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Sno Seal goes on a bunch of my leather gloves, hats, and boots. Carhartt jacket doesn’t have chest pockets.

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Ok well what's the best base layer? Im going to try one out. What's a good one to start with that won't break the bank.
    It may not be the best of all the brands out there, but it's my favorite so far, and the cheapest. Brand is something I hadn't heard of, called Urban Frontier. Picked up one of these shirts at Rugged Wearhouse. Liked it so much I went back and bought another one. Like $8 a piece. I've got Under Armour cold gear and military issue cold weather hear, and this stuff is better at keeping me warm and dry, and a more comfortable fit.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/urb...25|10526|10538

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-17-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Fleece has one one the warmest "warmth to weight" ratios i think... light, warm, and very flexible...I really like my mcalister jacket but i haven't even put it on this season. I had a fleece columbia turtleneck, a light fleece pullover, and a tshirt the other morning when it was 24 degrees and i was sweating. My mcalester jacket does not have the greatest flexibility in the armpit area...but if its nasty weather nothing beats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

filson is teaming up w mossy oak for a camo grease coat in fall 2018 supposedly. im interested to see it if they are using old school patterns
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    filson is teaming up w mossy oak for a camo grease coat in fall 2018 supposedly. im interested to see it if they are using old school patterns
    Shadowgrass and Bottomland from what I read.

As far as the Avery jackets, one of the guys I hunt with got one in a medium and he wears a medium. Got enough room to layer as well.

Before Filson was sold to the Ralph Lauren people they offered their jackets in shadowgrass and bottomland. Hard to find those jackets these days. New owners discontinued the camo soon after purchase. Be nice to have them back. Filson has maintained the quality which is nice.