Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bow lift?

Default More bow lift?

Hey guys. I have a 14 foot high tide with a 1997 Mercury 4 cylinder 2 stroke 40 hp tiller. With a 4 inch Vance manual jackplate at the very bottom. Currently I have a 13 pitch vengeance prop and I’m running around 37-39 at wide open throttle. The boat runs super flat meaning there’s very little if any bow lift. My question is there any way I can change props or adjust the jackplate to obtain more bow lift. It just seems like I should be able to get more speed if I were able to get the bow up. If I raise the jackplate and trim down to get out of the hole the boat immediately starts porposing if I trim up. The cav plate is completely under the water so I know there’s more speed in it. Where would you start? Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Tide14; 12-24-2017 at 03:49 PM.

High tides will trim up out of it.
    For the ducks

Motor down, bow down
    Motor up, bow up

It has nothing to do with the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Motor down, bow down
    Motor up, bow up
    Unless you are talking about trim angles this isn’t right. A motor being raised doesn’t give bow lift.

Tilt the motor outward for more bow lift. If you don't have hydraulic tilt and trim then use a pin.

With the jackplate all the way down. I can power through the bouncing but when I get to wide open throttle with the motor trimmed as far out as possible I still get no bow lift. Even when trimmed to near blow out. Caddy you are right about that

Does your prop have any cup in it? Is this the older style bug buster or the 2001 model? Those speeds I don’t think are too far off with a 13p

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Motor down, bow down
    Motor up, bow up
    And jevans is spot on about this

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Tilt the motor outward for more bow lift. If you don't have hydraulic tilt and trim then use a pin.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Tide14 View Post
    With the jackplate all the way down. I can power through the bouncing but when I get to wide open throttle with the motor trimmed as far out as possible I still get no bow lift. Even when trimmed to near blow out. Caddy you are right about that
    Try setting the motor higher on the jackplate.

First of all get that cav plate up above the water's surface. Typically the boat hopping means the bow is being lifted but you don't have enough horsepower to hold it up there. Is there a pad under the boat?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-24-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Actually the prop has a lot to do with bow lift. Take that vengeance to a prop guy and have rake and tip cup worked into it. You’ll get better lift and hold water more efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    First of all get that cav plate up above the water's surface. Typically the boat hopping means the bow is being lifted but you don't have enough horsepower to hold it up there. Is there a pad under the boat?

And/or prop is in dirtier water and slipping, hence the boat porpoising when the motor is raised

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    And/or prop is in dirtier water and slipping, hence the boat porpoising when the motor is raised
    Not saying you're wrong but if this were happening it would be easy to tell. When the prop is slipping like that you'll typically hear an audible difference in the motor when the rpms spike.

Had a friend running a ballistic prop on a flat Xpress hull this above scenario was happening on. I thought there was something wrong with the motor at first. Switched out the prop with a semi cleaver prop. Motor ran smooth and kept a steady rpm at wide open throttle after that.

Last edited by willyworm; 12-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Winyah the boat is a 14 foot super v built in 1989. I bought the motor used and the vengeance cane on the motor. Not really sure if it has cup or not. I guess I need to find a prop guy to get some cup added and some more take as well. Any suggestions around the Georgetown Pawleys Island area? Also I’m not sure if the 14 foot high tides had pass? Anyone with any knowledge to this feel free to chime in.

There used to be a lot of knowledgeable people that could offer advice on this. I’m pretty the topic has been covered on here so try the search function. If memory serves correctly the Powertech SCB3 offers good bow lift.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tide14 View Post
    Winyah the boat is a 14 foot super v built in 1989. I bought the motor used and the vengeance cane on the motor. Not really sure if it has cup or not. I guess I need to find a prop guy to get some cup added and some more take as well. Any suggestions around the Georgetown Pawleys Island area? Also I’m not sure if the 14 foot high tides had pass? Anyone with any knowledge to this feel free to chime in.
    Look under your hull to see if there is a pad, chances are there isn’t. If you don’t know what is meant by a “pad” check out fastcraft hulls or bass boat hulls. Where a normal hull comes to a point to complete the V, this looks like a 2x4 or 2x6 is on the bottom.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I ran a power tech 16p on my old high tide with Yamaha 40

I have a 1986 14ft SuperV and it does not have a pad. Doubt your does either.