Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prime Rib

Default Prime Rib

Doing a prime rib / standing rib roast on new years, 8 lbs on the egg if the shithead contractor gets my deck finished. Anyone want to share a recipe, tips tricks?

http://emerils.com/126806/tuscan-fla...ding-rib-roast

I've done this a couple times (in the oven) and it's always been great. I'm sure on the egg it'll be better.

120 internal temp and then pull it off and let it stand 30 minutes wrapped in foil. Salt, pepper, garlic powder and that's it.

I watched a young chef here in Charleston cook just such a piece of beef. He tied it into a cylinder with string. Rubbed it down with cracked pepper, sea salt, rosemary, thyme, etc., and into a gas over set on max bake temp for 20 minutes. This puts the crust on it. Then he adjusted the temp back and watched the meat thermometer until it reached the target temperture. It was excellent.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-26-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: autocorrect sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I watched a young chef here in Charleston cook just such a piece of beef. He tied it into a cylinder with string. Rubbed it down with cracked pepper, sea salt, rosemary, thyme, etc., and into a gas over set on max bake temp for 20 minutes. This puts the crust on it. Then he adjusted the temp back and watched the meat thermometer until it reached the target temperture. It was excellent.
    My dad does the same thing except adds Dijon mustard to the rub. Cooks it high heat for 5 minute a pound then shuts the oven off and lets it sit for a whilez creates a crust on the outside and rare in the middle.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I can tell you how too ruin one. I just gotta call my father-in-law. He screws it up every year.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I've seen the same recipe as 1234. 500 degrees at 5 mins per pound. Then cut the oven off and let sit for two hours. Gotta flip the breaker if you have a cooling fan.

I had some of my clients out to duck hunt a couple weeks ago. One of them cooked the best prime rib I’ve ever had this exact way in my old cheap electric oven at my camp. Only difference was his seasonings, he incorporated some garlic some how.

Paula dean recipe is one most folks are referring too. I’ve done several but generally come back to hers, it’s pretty hard to beat.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 12-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.

I did this on an 11 pounder Christmas Eve and it was perfect. Pull out and let rest wrapped at 120, let get to 130 and unwrap, then let get back to 120 slice and enjoy.

Did this one last night. Five pounds. It was on point. I started at 400 for 30min then cut it back to 280 and watched the thermo-meter. I pulled it at 133. I climbed a little more than I had anticipated and stopped at 147. A little over where I wanted but it was good. I haven't cooked one in 8-10 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Did this one last night. Five pounds. It was on point. I started at 400 for 30min then cut it back to 280 and watched the thermo-meter. I pulled it at 133. I climbed a little more than I had anticipated and stopped at 147. A little over where I wanted but it was good. I haven't cooked one in 8-10 years.
    Wonder if I can reverse seer it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've cooked one on my primo and it was the best i've ever had. I got the recipe off of an egg forum somewhere but don't remember where.

Kosher salt and black pepper
    Let roast get to room temp
    Cook indirect @ 250 until center gets to 125
    Take off and cover in foil, remove indirect plate and bring grill up to 500+
    Put roast back on and sear each side
    Let rest and slice

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Wonder if I can reverse seer it.

Yep

I have used this recipe before and it turned out pretty good, albeit in the oven not grilled.

--Bring meat to room temp

--Season: Salt, pepper, garlic powder and Montreal seasoning

--Preheat at 375

--Cook a 5 pounder for 35 minutes

--After 35 minutes, cut off oven. LEAVE DOOR CLOSED! Don't open!

--Leave in oven for additional 3 hours, with door closed

--Restart oven for 20 minutes at 350

--Pull and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then slice

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    I can tell you how too ruin one. I just gotta call my father-in-law. He screws it up every year.
    We may have the same FIL

Cooked one on the egg yesterday, with plate setter in, I put it on at about 500 for 20 minutes or so, closed it off and let it come down to 250 while the cherry wood started to smoke it. Cooked until it was 110 in the middle and opened the vents back all the way to get the crust back right. Took it off at about 125 and let it rest tented for about 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Paula dean recipe is one most folks are referring too. I’ve done several but generally come back to hers, it’s pretty hard to beat.
    She just boils hers in butter I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Diid you put hot sauce on it?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Cooked one on the egg yesterday, with plate setter in, I put it on at about 500 for 20 minutes or so, closed it off and let it come down to 250 while the cherry wood started to smoke it. Cooked until it was 110 in the middle and opened the vents back all the way to get the crust back right. Took it off at about 125 and let it rest tented for about 30 minutes.
    What size and how long did it take?