Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: River Dog

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Is the pelt and smell similar to a beaver's... the four-legged variety?
    Its good you specified which type of beav. Smell is worse, pelt is much sleeker and nicer... than the four legged variety.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Is the pelt and smell similar to a beaver's... the four-legged variety?
    they have a diet that includes fish...ive trapped some out of a few ponds that had an overwhelming fish smell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    They are too cool to harm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Cat, you know that ain't the truth...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    that smell though....they certainly have a muskiness about them.....a few times a year ill have whole families come pretty close, they're fun to watch..i have trapped any in years.

Good pic RH.
    Well the smell should be expected. Otters are Mustelidae the same family as weasels, mink, skunks, stoats, badgers and martens. The largest of that family is a wolverines. There's some bad ass dudes in that bunch.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    Cat, you know that ain't the truth...
    I have always given otters a pass. I also give beavers a pass unless they are backing water up into pine timber.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I caught one on a rod and reel once- fishing at the navy yard during Christmas shut down- caught on a fake shrimp body on a jig head- crazy fight on 20 lb spinning gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I caught one on a rod and reel once- fishing at the navy yard during Christmas shut down- caught on a fake shrimp body on a jig head- crazy fight on 20 lb spinning gear
    They let military members hunt those ponds and I seent a few out there whilst duck hunting. Seems like I'll bumping into them more often in the Midlands too. Had one swim up on me in the swamp last Saturday and they're in my in law's beaver swamp as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

We have been picking duck bands out of otter shit in our blinds for nigh on 40 years...

Nice shot RH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    Well the smell should be expected. Otters are Mustelidae the same family as weasels, mink, skunks, stoats, badgers and martens. The largest of that family is a wolverines. There's some bad ass dudes in that bunch.
    Not sure about some of the others you mention, but a badger is a stankin sob. Hit one in the truck while deer hunting in Kansas several years ago and just HAD to check it out. Stinkinest thing I've ever touched. The upside was that it made a hell of a cover scent that afternoon.

Cool pictures. Years ago while in a deer stand I witnessed two otters work down Rabon creek with a grey heron in tow. The heron would stand at pool side as the otters worked cut banks and pick off fish that were driven out. I watched that heron catch, walk to sand bars to reorient head first and eat 3 10-12" catfish. The otters would occasionally disappear into muddied water and reappear 20 yards up or downstream. The heron would then immediately run and fly to catch back up. I've run up on them turkey hunting more often than anything and they seem to be very curious creatures, far from spooky.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Cool shots

This is the culprit behind 90% of black panther sightings. They look crazy crossing a road.

Last Saturday, two on the ice. Couldn't get closer for a better shot.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Guess it's just coincidence or luck but I saw two more in the creek below the house yesterday morning working cut banks as I was wading across. Fumbled the camera out and got a couple pictures but were blurry, low light.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Guess it's just coincidence or luck but I saw two more in the creek below the house yesterday morning working cut banks as I was wading across. Fumbled the camera out and got a couple pictures but were blurry, low light.
    I've been seeing a lot more than usual lately, even before the freeze. Also seem to be seeing a lot of bobcats too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I had one barking at me from some willows during the freeze. I was jump shooting and surprised him when I drifted by. I reckon we were both hunting ducks.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton