Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Dog

Default River Dog

I had someone in the DNR once tell me that they'd 10 times rather have to handle a rabid coyote than even a mild tempered River Otter. It changed the way I think of these, otherwise seemingly happy, animals...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Cool pic. As long as it isn't in my pond.

I saw 3 this year from the deer stand. They came up a drainage ditch that only had an inch of water in it where I was. They walked up the ditch until they got to a deeper hole and jumped in and went to work. One of them picked me out in the climber when I was 30 ft up and he was 4 ft lower than the ground in a ditch. Have had multiple deer under me in this spot and none of them noticed me. But I guess they don't have predators that come from above.

Default River Dog

Just like you I would guess... If you were minding your business swimming around enjoying life and something really started messin w ya, would you be nice ? Cool critters. Dont tread on me.
    Dumb fun fact, they have upwards of 1 mil hairs per sq inch, humans have 100-150k on their heads and dogs are upward of 15k/sq in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 12-18-2017 at 07:47 PM.

I'm thinking about putting one through force fetch. Great size retriever for your kayak or pea row.

I skinned one the othervday for a soft tan. Really awesome critter. Was my first chance to lay hands on one. The hair is so thick it's unreal. Smelled like greasy dog ass though.

That is a GREAT SHOT of a great animal.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I've observed 5 of them swim in formation and herd the fish. All at once they would herd them to the bank and dive into the school. Every one would catch a fish.

They also show up in my little 1/4 acre pond every winter. They clean up 70% of the fish in 2-3 days. I just restock it every spring. They are too cool to harm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-18-2017 at 09:18 PM.

They will sure enough wreck a small pond in a New York minute
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

During turkey season one year, 2th and myself perched on a bluff overlooking Mill Creek and watched two otters eat no less than a dozen crawfish in about two hundred yards. They’re efficient to say the least.

G

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

I remember reading a book years ago about a guy who raised one from before it's eyes were open. He owned it for 6 years before it died. It was a great pet except for one thing, they show affection by biting you on the ear. The guy finally had to wear a football helmet to protect his ears because when they bite a human on the ear their teeth will go through the ear. Other than that little drawback it was a good pet according to the guy that wrote the book.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-18-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Their teeth are something else. Nasty critters.

I've always kept my dogs well away from them. An otter will tear a dog's ass up in a heartbeat.

Great pics, Rubberhead, as usual.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've always kept my dogs well away from them. An otter will tear a dog's ass up in a heartbeat.

Great pics, Rubberhead, as usual.
    I almost had my lab jump out of the boat after one of them. She loves to chase cats and squirrels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    During turkey season one year, 2th and myself perched on a bluff overlooking Mill Creek and watched two otters eat no less than a dozen crawfish in about two hundred yards. They’re efficient to say the least.

G
    yep. was thinking the same thing. very cool to watch.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We have a place on the Edisto we call Hops. It's an oxbow and was an unreal place to catch RedBreast. (Was) Otters moved in there and cleaned em out.

Rumor has it one of our guys took matters into his own hands.. fishing has picked up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I skinned one the othervday for a soft tan.
    that smell though....they certainly have a muskiness about them.....a few times a year ill have whole families come pretty close, they're fun to watch..i have trapped any in years.

Good pic RH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I skinned one the othervday for a soft tan. Really awesome critter. Was my first chance to lay hands on one. The hair is so thick it's unreal. Smelled like greasy dog ass though.
    What the hell you feeding goose to have a greasy ass

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat8991 View Post
    What the hell you feeding goose to have a greasy ass
    Sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddles.

There wouldn't be a fish left in the state if they ate as much as people claim. I can see putting a hurting on a 1/4 acre pond maybe.

I had two follow my pirogue on Friday. They'd come up and snort. Thought they were going to try to commandeer the boat.

Is the pelt and smell similar to a beaver's... the four-legged variety?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'