Thread: Hog trap question?

Default Hog trap question?

Anybody used the tractor supply trap? Any trap builders that you might know about? Really like to have one of the gullitine type traps.

I have used the tractor supply trap. It will work, but I prefer the pen style traps that use saloon doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had any luck with the type door the hog is required to push open. I've tried but had pictures of hogs sitting outside staring through the door for days, without trying to get in.
    Recently, I bought (5) 16'x52" cattle panels from tractor supply (2x6 on bottom, going to 4x6, then 6x6 on top), T post every 5', and wire tied the panels to the post in big circle with a spur on the outside. I welded up a 30"x36" door with a screen door spring connected to the spur on the outside. I tied a rope to the door on the inside, ran rope through a pulley secured to the inside wall and down to 2, 1"x2' angle iron pushed 90% in the ground with 2" pieces of angle iron through bolted to the top to allow them to hinge (picture a 2"x2' "T" with a small horizontal piece). I tied a small metal bar to the end of the rope and hooked it to the top of the angle iron "T". The pressure from the spring keeps it locked on the T post pretty good. Only a slight upward nudge will trip the door to slam closed. Knock on wood, downward push from coons hasn't tripped it yet although they've been all in it. I caught a 300'ish lb boar last weekend who didn't tear up the trap and have caught some good butchering sized (150-200lb) sows. It's more less a permanent trap that will take some effort breaking down and moving, but will be done when this spot quits producing. I keep baiting it and more come and eat where I had just slaughtered them days before, so whoever says hogs won't go in a trap where others have been killed is wrong.

We would leave the door open for a little while to get them comfortable, and also had it propped open w a trip wire attached to a bucket w corn in it on top of a cinder block. Caught over 10 at once quite a few times, and would break down and set up in new location as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk