Thread: Urine Attractant ban?

Default Urine Attractant ban?

Has there been any push in SC for this? I think it is a good idea to help protect from CWD. is there a "pee"lobby that will fight this?

Can you provide any sound scientific data to support such a ban?

I think we should put a ban on breathing more than 40 breaths per minute. Excessive breathing releases co2 which is leading to rapid climate change.
    Psalm 23

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Can you provide any sound scientific data to support such a ban?
    You need scientific data to understand that urine from a contaminated animal could expose an otherwise healthy herd to a prion that they still don't know how to cure/treat and lasts years on the landscape?

Go listen to the Meateater podcast where Rinella talks to the biologist studying the disease. You'll be on board after about 20 minutes.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I just pee in my scrapes.....it's free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I haven't followed anything, but I'm thinking pee is a solid way to transmit nasty things.

We killed a deer in Grover that supposedly had EHD. I wasn't there but the hooves were cracked and supposedly was pretty rough looking. It kinda makes sense because the dogs have caught like 4 deer this year and they were fully grown deer. I'm sure the president of the club has reported it because he's a by the book kind of guy. Haven't heard anything else about it.

I think it is more like a common sense deductive reasoning for prevention idea than a "lets wait and see" thing. My thought process:

CWD transmission is not understood>once its in an area it is presumed impossible to eradicate> importing cervids and pen raised cervids appear to be the main reason it has spread>using pen raised deer urine could possibly spread it.

Anything we can do to keep CWD away is worth doing.

I was just looking up regs for hunting in VA and they have a ban on urine attractants which made me wonder about sc

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You need scientific data to understand that urine from a contaminated animal could expose an otherwise healthy herd to a prion that they still don't know how to cure/treat and lasts years on the landscape?

Go listen to the Meateater podcast where Rinella talks to the biologist studying the disease. You'll be on board after about 20 minutes.
    I don't use urines so I have not studied on it much, but what I have seen suggests that a deer would have to ingest gallons of urine from a contaminated deer to transmit.

So what's next in the chopping block?

I don't use urines so I have not studied on it much, but what I have seen suggests that a deer would have to ingest gallons of urine from a contaminated deer to transmit.

So what's next in the chopping block?
    I've read some articles where a few smart people have said that urine is not a very strong transmitter of the disease. But, in the same articles the point is brought up that urine is not the only thing collected when holding these deer. Saliva being one of the major transmitters of CWD, is one of these things that accidentally get collected as a byproduct of the process.

In any case, even if the percentage was so low, 1 out of 1000, one infection would be all it takes. Then we can't stop it. The symptoms of the disease take years to manifest themselves, meanwhile that deer has contaminated every food plot and bed in the surrounding area. Since SC is a deer baiting state, we are extremely susceptible to the spread of the disease. Again, because it's such a slow killer, it would take years before we even knew we had the problem. Then what?

Is it worth the risk?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Considering the overwhelming evidence of transmission among captive herds and transportation via captive animals and nothing gets done about captive breeding/can hunt pens your just pissing in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just glad this thread wasn't about Chelsea Handler and some dude pissing on her again.
    R.I.P SFC Spencer Kohlheim.
    Suicide is never a good thing but I understand.
    Thank you for your service to our nation.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

Got a link? Or can I find it on youtube?

Got a link? Or can I find it on youtube?
    http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...sting-disease/