Thread: Copied from CWS

Default Copied from CWS

Not me. Just copy and pasted.

The enthusiasm for improving Duck hunting SC is great. It has been interesting seeing different views on the matter. However, I think most are still missing the long term root of the problem.

We can either treat the symptoms or cure the cause.
    The symtoms of low bird numbers is skybusting, rallying, and all other forms of pressure. When people arent seeing birds they take longer shots, drive around looking for birds, and also break existing laws trying to kill a few birds. The less the opportunities the more pressure because of more competition amongst hunters. People start acting out of character when they have poor hunts. Ducks will make a man act a fool. I think this is why the number of people sneaking into our CAT 1 WMAs has increased dramatically.

The cure. The reason we don't have the birds we once did is because of lack of food plain and simple. If there were an overabundance of food we would see more birds public and private. Also, the birds themselves have changed dramatically over the years, puddle ducks especially. They follow the agriculture. These birds are utilizing food grown by man rather than natural foods more than ever, so that plays a large role in why the ducks don't come to SC like they once did. Also our lakes and rivers have become sterile compared to the states above and below us. We have become a flyover state.

Are we gonna be happy treating the symptoms by limiting our hunts and opportunities only for a chance to shoot at the same low numbers? Or are we gonna try to cure the problem and actually try attract more birds to the state.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

There is plenty of food here. It is not on public water.
    DILLIGAF

Managing coastal waterfowl in SC is a three-legged stool (lower coastal, upper coast and Santee Cooper). We just can't seem to get the three legs healthy all at the same time.

Managing this triangle isn't just about ducks - it's about managing people. If there are ducks in any two of those areas the folks from the underutilized area invade the other two areas creating crowding and absurd pressure on waterfowl in those areas. Many birds retreat into smaller and smaller areas or leave all together. Duck will tolerate some pressure but not constant pressure.

When all three areas are healthy the resource can handle the pressure.

Only the lower coastal area (ACE Basin) is and has remained healthy for the past two decades. The upper coastal has subsections that are and have been good and other areas that could be better. I remember when Yawkey was healthy - that goes a long way in keeping the upper coastal areas healthy. I would love to see Yawkey, Samworth, Gun Club, and a half-dozen of the larger private areas, hitting on all cylinders.

Finally, the Santee Cooper system needs grass. When there is an over abundance of grass carp, Santee Cooper winters very few birds. When grass is growing in waters between 1 and 10 feet deep, there ain't enough mud motors in SC to run the birds off.

Just my 2¢.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

i think of ruddyduck and nab everytime someone mentions santee cooper and grass
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    i think of ruddyduck and nab everytime someone mentions santee cooper and grass
    Going way back.
    More fuel = more boost!!

whoever wrote that is not an english major

and is not right.

But that is the power of the interweb....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and is not right.
    people are not riding around breaking the law because of low bird numbers

"....The symtoms of low bird numbers is skybusting, rallying, and all other forms of pressure. When people arent seeing birds they take longer shots, drive around looking for birds, and also break existing laws trying to kill a few birds. The less the opportunities the more pressure because of more competition amongst hunters. People start acting out of character when they have poor hunts. Ducks will make a man act a fool. I think this is why the number of people sneaking into our CAT 1 WMAs has increased dramatically."

this paragraph sounds like someone justifying their behavior...
    Last edited by scswamprat; 12-14-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    people are not riding around breaking the law because of low bird numbers

"....The symtoms of low bird numbers is skybusting, rallying, and all other forms of pressure. When people arent seeing birds they take longer shots, drive around looking for birds, and also break existing laws trying to kill a few birds. The less the opportunities the more pressure because of more competition amongst hunters. People start acting out of character when they have poor hunts. Ducks will make a man act a fool. I think this is why the number of people sneaking into our CAT 1 WMAs has increased dramatically."

this paragraph sounds like someone justifying their behavior...
    Or you haven't been around this new generation of hunters. They will do anything for a picture for social media.
    Last edited by BRR; 12-14-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Yep^
    Genesis 9;2

Hey 2th.

Strict, didn't you work for DNR at some point?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yep sure did, USFS as well.
    Genesis 9;2