Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbicide that wont kill pine seedlings.

Default Herbicide that wont kill pine seedlings.

Can anyone tell me a herbicide that I can spray on planted pine seedlings that wont kill them. These trees were planted last fall. The weeds grew up to where I could barely see the trees. Now that everything else is dead I can see them and I've got a pretty good stand of trees. I want to spray around them this spring so they arent competing with the weeds. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Herbicide that wont kill pine seedlings.

Arsenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quackhead22; 12-12-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Well, since most everything is currently dormant, I probably wouldn't do shit until after Spring.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by luckydogger View Post
    Can anyone tell me a herbicide that I can spray on planted pine seedlings that wont kill them. These trees were planted last fall. The weeds grew up to where I could barely see the trees. Now that everything else is dead I can see them and I've got a pretty good stand of trees. I want to spray around them this spring so they arent competing with the weeds. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Well, since most everything is currently dormant, I probably wouldn't do shit until after Spring.
    Pretty sure that is his plan.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Oh, snap.

In that case, carry on.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Arsenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

High rates of Arsenal can ding up and kill young pines. Need more information to determine what to spray....
    What species? Lob or Longleaf
    What is your competition? Weeds/grasses, hardwood, or both?
    Was it site prepared before planting?

For Loblolly (weed control) - 4oz. Imaz 4SL + 4oz. SFMXtra @ 10 GPA Timing April - May
    For Longleaf (weed control) - 10oz. Oustar + 1/2oz. SFM 75 @ 10 GPA Timing April - May
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

i might suggest you just let them grow... and watch them grow taller than all your weeds and save the time and money.

unless you just like to worry about stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you have trematodes already stressing your pines and spray arsenal, you will lose 50% of them. Have a "registered" forester check your pine stand for trematodes and / or kill 10 deer per acre and have their rumens tested for trematode infestation

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i might suggest you just let them grow... and watch them grow taller than all your weeds and save the time and money.

Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    High rates of Arsenal can ding up and kill young pines. Need more information to determine what to spray....
    What species? Lob or Longleaf
    What is your competition? Weeds/grasses, hardwood, or both?
    Was it site prepared before planting?

For Loblolly (weed control) - 4oz. Imaz 4SL + 4oz. SFMXtra @ 10 GPA Timing April - May
    For Longleaf (weed control) - 10oz. Oustar + 1/2oz. SFM 75 @ 10 GPA Timing April - May
    They are Lob Lolly. Competition is just weeds and grass. The site was a Coastal Bermuda hay field for years. Ground was hard as a rock. I put a one row subsoiler behind my tractor and made rows with it. Busting the top layer of soil about 6-8 inches deep. Then walked the rows and planted with a tree spade.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

I wouldnt normally worry about it but they are in my back yard. Built a house in a old hay field and have way more yard than I want to mow. Planted the pines to fill in the place I didnt want to bush hog or mow all the time. It looks like crap with the weeds growing wild. Don't have to worry about it this time of year but I imagine its full of rattlesnakes during the warm months. To close to my house for a snake harbor.

First time I ever heard of someone planting trees close to their house to keep the snakes away.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    First time I ever heard of someone planting trees close to their house to keep the snakes away.
    I think you need to re-read the post. I planted them to keep from cutting more grass than I want. I want to keep it clean as not to create a good place for snakes to be hunting field rats. Also, the trees are not planted that close to my house. From the back of my house it is probably 100 yards to where the pine rows start. Not sure where you got the idea I was planting trees to keep snakes away.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydogger View Post
    I wouldnt normally worry about it but they are in my back yard. Built a house in a old hay field and have way more yard than I want to mow. Planted the pines to fill in the place I didnt want to bush hog or mow all the time. It looks like crap with the weeds growing wild. Don't have to worry about it this time of year but I imagine its full of rattlesnakes during the warm months. To close to my house for a snake harbor.
    Go eat a Snikers Francis, you getting all grumpy acting.

Thomas Jefferson

If you're not able to control the weeds and grass, and you become infested with rattlesnakes, me and my boys always give em a pass

I know its hard, sometimes, to separate the wheat from chaff....but I'm actually being honest here.

The pines will grow taller than your weeds. Unless you get some sweet gums or such.

Your worry about keeping clean to prohibit snakes is silly....

BUT, you seem to have your mind made up to do something. My suggestion would be to fill a backpack sprayer with used motor oil and spray it all over the place. In the spring, you will see weeds starting to grow again but hopefully your pine trees will still be taller.

Good luck.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Are they to tall to just run back through with a cultivator? Then hoe and spray just my 2 cents. Following out of interest.

17D896DF-2B98-40ED-B9A0-B6BC906DF8E7.jpeg
    this is the picture I have in my mind, of what I think you’re place looks like.
    Last edited by Freemotor; 12-15-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freemotor View Post
    Are they to tall to just run back through with a cultivator? Then hoe and spray just my 2 cents. Following out of interest.
    They're probably short enough now but probably one more growing season and they would be too tall. What i have been doing is bush hogging between the rows. That leaves strips of tall weeds where the trees are. I just wanted to walk the rows with a back pack sprayer and hit the strips. Just didnt know what I could spray with that wouldnt kill my trees. Once they are tall enough to shade out the weeds my goal will be achieved. No more cutting or mowing that area. The picture you posted is about the height they are now. Mine maybe a little taller. No where near that clean. Have gotten some good input from this post. I appreciate all the replies.