Thread: Gills ripped out

Default Gills ripped out

The spot i duck hunt also has a nice pond. I cast a line whenever i'm there to hunt or scout. This sat, walked to a spot, casted once, then reeled in up fast as my buddy was signalling me that ducks landed on the big pond. Got the lure to the shore and went to lift it, a bass came out of the water and snatched it. i jerked the rod too hard being that close and snapped the line.

Monday, caught this guy in the same spot. Gills ripped out from one side. I'm guessing same fish and that likely the result of working the lure out? Can it survive?

IMG_0623.JPG
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Should have taken the knife to him and heated up some grease
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Thats what i was thinking, but if he was healthy enough to be hitting bait 2 days later, i'm hoping he can make it with just one side in tact.
    Last edited by everlast; 12-12-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I mean its just a bass. Hes really not worth anything.

What would be really cool would be to shoot him with a .270. Wonder what it would look like?

would be nice to catch him again 2 pounds down the road.

I happen to shoot a .270. I could let you know.
    Last edited by everlast; 12-12-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

Me and my sons give green fish a pass

#fishlivesmatter
    -Samuel Adams

I'd compare that pic to your fishcam pictures and see if you have this bass on film and that way you can tell for sure if it's the same fish or not.

Looks like a solid 2 yr old. Name him "Ripper" and catch him when he's 5 1/2 or 6 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmbrhntr View Post
    What would be really cool would be to shoot him with a .270. Wonder what it would look like?
    some things never die...haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'd compare that pic to your fishcam pictures and see if you have this bass on film and that way you can tell for sure if it's the same fish or not.
    Pulled card last night. Unfortunately, the camera was not as water resistant as advertised. I only got one pic before it died. See below:

2314803134_9200633617.jpg
    Last edited by everlast; 12-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

I'm gonna scissor kick you in the pancreas so hard your grand kids will be diabetic.

Last edited by everlast; 12-12-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

I didnt know this thread was gonna turn in to SC Deer Hunters 2.0. Fuckin A.

When spearfishing, ripping the gills out incapacitates the fish almost instantly. I'm suprised that it lived overnight with half the gills ripped out. Typically, they bleed out pretty quickly when you yank the gills out...