Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mailbox Protection ideas?

Default Mailbox Protection ideas?

Fellow rural road dwellers...Any creative ideas to protect your mailbox from assholes? I found this with a quick search of the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let some redneck hit that mailbox and Ken Nuggent will be knocking on your door.

That will get you sued.

Maybe some expanded metal wrapped around the box. Or bricks. Something you can call decorative.

But when someone runs into a mailbox filled with concrete it would be hard to explain that.

Good point...but what is the difference hitting that one and the one below....the fact that you know the brick mailbox is going to mess you or your vehicle up?

I’m not as concerned with it getting hit/run into, just trying to stop the folks that destroy it while I assume hanging out of the passenger window and hitting with a bat or stick.

Brick it in.

Yeh that..

I am on a rural back road a half mile to the next house. No high speed traffic. I think it is mostly teens doing dumb teenager stuff.

The difference is intent. Like I said something you can call "decorative". You can't really explain concrete in a mailbox.

Like a board with nails in it in the road or the cut through. Easier to explain you spilled some roofing nails when you were building something and never picked em up since it was out of the road.

i smashed ONE when i was probably 15-16. I did it ONCE. Felt like a complete asshole and worthless POS afterwards. Swore I would never purposely destroy someones property again.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Trail camera , catch them in the act , visit to their house by the sheriff and problem should cease.

No hiding this guys intent here.

Maybe I can get Palmetto Trooper to weld up a jail cell cage for my mailbox. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    i smashed ONE when i was probably 15-16. I did it ONCE. Felt like a complete asshole and worthless POS afterwards. Swore I would never purposely destroy someones property again.
    Never hit one with anything. But I might have covered a mailbox or two in mud.

Definitely just dumb teenagers. Probably a neighbor.

weld one up of plate steel. you will only hear one ding. followed by “Oww!! SHIT!!! go go go, get out of here!”

pretty it up with a stencil/paint or put a flower pot on it or some other womanly thing. (make it an easy target for the vandals to hit... and then regret)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Looks like insulation to me, not concrete.

3" metal pipe sunk into and filled with rebar and concrete and cased to look like a typical 4x4 post topped with diamond plate mailbox.

This recipe solved the problem a good fried was having and oddly enough no one complained about being hurt while breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Looks like insulation to me, not concrete.
    I think you're right.

This thread reminds me of my crazy uncle, except he destroyed his own mailbox. His ex-wife kept calling him one night. He told her it had been a long day at work and he would appreciate it if he could just call her back tomorrow and that he would be glad to talk then. Bust she kept calling, and kept calling, and kept calling. Finally he answered and said "hold on just a second, I'm going to walk outside so I can hear you better". On his way out the door he grabbed his shotgun. He walked to the mailbox and said "ok, I can hear you now". She started yacking away and he threw the phone in the mailbox, took a few steps back and ran a round of buckshot right through the mailbox and the phone.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    3" metal pipe sunk into and filled with rebar and concrete and cased to look like a typical 4x4 post topped with diamond plate mailbox.

This recipe solved the problem a good fried was having and oddly enough no one complained about being hurt while breaking the law.
    I once heard tell of a man who cut straight to the chase with about 6 feet of railroad rail set in concrete with a mailbox built around it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Yall worry to much. Federal Offense so call the law
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    weld one up of plate steel. you will only hear one ding. followed by “Oww!! SHIT!!! go go go, get out of here!”

pretty it up with a stencil/paint or put a flower pot on it or some other womanly thing. (make it an easy target for the vandals to hit... and then regret)
    I did this with 1/8" plate after mine got folded up. I opened it up a couple of days later to check the mail and there was a piece of cardboard in it and written in different colored sharpies was "ASSHOLE". I don't know what happened , but would have loved to have seen it. Didn't have a scratch on it.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    The difference is intent. Like I said something you can call "decorative". You can't really explain concrete in a mailbox.

Like a board with nails in it in the road or the cut through. Easier to explain you spilled some roofing nails when you were building something and never picked em up since it was out of the road.
    I disagree. You can protect your private property as you see fit- open and obvious or not. You’re not trying to hurt somebody, but trying to prevent your mailbox from being destroyed. It’s all in the motive.
    Carolina Counsel