Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mailbox Protection ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mailbox Protection ideas?

Fellow rural road dwellers...Any creative ideas to protect your mailbox from assholes? I found this with a quick search of the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let some redneck hit that mailbox and Ken Nuggent will be knocking on your door.

That will get you sued.

Maybe some expanded metal wrapped around the box. Or bricks. Something you can call decorative.

But when someone runs into a mailbox filled with concrete it would be hard to explain that.

Yeh that..

Good point...but what is the difference hitting that one and the one below....the fact that you know the brick mailbox is going to mess you or your vehicle up?

I’m not as concerned with it getting hit/run into, just trying to stop the folks that destroy it while I assume hanging out of the passenger window and hitting with a bat or stick.

Brick it in.

I am on a rural back road a half mile to the next house. No high speed traffic. I think it is mostly teens doing dumb teenager stuff.

i smashed ONE when i was probably 15-16. I did it ONCE. Felt like a complete asshole and worthless POS afterwards. Swore I would never purposely destroy someones property again.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    i smashed ONE when i was probably 15-16. I did it ONCE. Felt like a complete asshole and worthless POS afterwards. Swore I would never purposely destroy someones property again.
    Never hit one with anything. But I might have covered a mailbox or two in mud.

Definitely just dumb teenagers. Probably a neighbor.

how'd that work out for ya?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The difference is intent. Like I said something you can call "decorative". You can't really explain concrete in a mailbox.

Like a board with nails in it in the road or the cut through. Easier to explain you spilled some roofing nails when you were building something and never picked em up since it was out of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    The difference is intent. Like I said something you can call "decorative". You can't really explain concrete in a mailbox.

Like a board with nails in it in the road or the cut through. Easier to explain you spilled some roofing nails when you were building something and never picked em up since it was out of the road.
    I disagree. You can protect your private property as you see fit- open and obvious or not. You’re not trying to hurt somebody, but trying to prevent your mailbox from being destroyed. It’s all in the motive.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I disagree. You can protect your private property as you see fit- open and obvious or not. You’re not trying to hurt somebody, but trying to prevent your mailbox from being destroyed. It’s all in the motive.
    It's on the highway right of way, not your property. And I'm pretty sure a mailbox is not even considered your property. It's the government's. That's why it's a federal offense.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's on the highway right of way, not your property. And I'm pretty sure a mailbox is not even considered your property. It's the government's. That's why it's a federal offense.
    splitting got damned hairs

MY mailbox on MY property. i bought the shitty black box and i pay fucking taxes where it sits

im not going to google this stupid shit but i bet its a federal offense (if it really is) because a box smasher is tampering with US mail...not the damn box itself...the contents that COULD BE inside

MY mailbox on MY property. i bought the shitty black box and i pay fucking taxes where it sits

im not going to google this stupid shit but i bet its a federal offense (if it really is) because a box smasher is tampering with US mail...not the damn box itself...the contents that COULD BE inside
    Technically, the mailbox is your property, I believe, since you can take it with you when you move, but the actual mail receptacle/box has to meet the specs of the US Postmaster.

If you can build bricks around it, make one that looks like a revolver, and a million other crazy art ideas, I have no idea why you couldn't surround an official mailbox with a few inches of pretective concrete. As long as the actual mail receptacle meets the specs, it doesn't matter. It's not like you've designed it to hurt anyone. If a ball bat gets busted when some pink ass kid takes a swing at it, that's his problem, or if the bat bounces back and knocks his silly ass out... or at least that's how I see it.

There's nothing in the Federal law that says we have to protect the idiots and jerks. They're on their own.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

shit, that sounded angry

sorry

shit, that sounded angry

sorry
    You need to have a drink and get some nicotine in your system before you have a coronary.

But I agree with you.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

shit, that sounded angry

sorry
    Mailboxes is serious business.

A man can do whatever he wants. Hell put a sawed shotgun in it. I have no idea what is legal or not. Just playing devils advocate and warning what questions you might face in a civil suit.

And I do think Woodie is right. I was thinking it said property of post master general on the box but it actually says approved by post master general.

Trail camera , catch them in the act , visit to their house by the sheriff and problem should cease.

No hiding this guys intent here.

Maybe I can get Palmetto Trooper to weld up a jail cell cage for my mailbox. Ha.