Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning vs Evening Duck Hunts

#thesaltmarsh
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Yall need to head to Strick's CWS page on FB and get in on that discussion right now..
    it turned into a "I'm the best duck hunter ever" dick measuring contest really quick....i couldn't read it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

and its been years since i shot ducks in the afternoon...i find it very hard to legally shoot most places in my area in the afternoon...with most of the big ducks showing up at almost dark...a few will move around 330-430ish...but i just rather shoot them in the morning....no worries...

Quote Originally Posted by scswamprat View Post
    it turned into a "I'm the best duck hunter ever" dick measuring contest really quick....i couldn't read it all...
    Yeah, it turned me off. I believe in some form of rest period, but hunting the salt marsh to me has generally been driven more by the tides than the time of day.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    but hunting the salt marsh to me has generally been driven more by the tides than the time of day.
    a cut off time would certainly help, but you will still have passels of people with MM's that are gonna "scout" till dark running ducks all over Gods green earth anyway....and i don't see a way to regulate that...

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    No shit Sherlock. Here is an idea maybe let the ducks feed, rest, and not get shot at sun up to sun down. Then public water might actually hold some birds for a decent period of time. But instead it's a state filled with greedy assholes who just gotta fill that strap no matter water. Next time you bitch about duck hunting in SC go find a mirror.
    Why do you think states out west cut off at noon or one? Why do private impoundments do the same? Ducks will never stick around if they get shot at sun up to sun down every time they try to eat. It's pretty simple. Your roost comment is cute. You don't know dick about ducks but feel qualified because "it's not a roost shoot bo"
    dude. I know you like to pretend to be the resident scducks badass du jour but.....chill out. Its a forum...you know for discussion...not for butthurt angry little pricks. I was basically agreeing with you and further pointing out a couple other observations that should be thought about before throwing more statutes on the books. Which I'm sure a man of your intelligent has already thought about. Clearly you don't know dick about me, bo. but hey at least I supplied someone for you to internet badass on today. if you can be this much of child with someone who was basically agreeing with you and made no snarky comments and didn't question your clearly superior knowledge about duck hunting (scratch that about everything apparently) I really feel sorry for you.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

No fishing, no pleasure boating, no boats period and I will buy into a cutoff time working. On the other hand, what about the miles of water that hasn't seen a boat in weeks but also hasn't seen a duck either.......
    Last edited by BRR; 12-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.

i wouldn't mind a vote for a "trial three year period" for a noon cutoff..after that everyone regroup, vote again and see if this has helped or not. I know the salt hunting is different, and would definelty put some folks not being able to hunt certain days, but anyone who hunts the salt, also almost always knows a place, if even on public water to go shoot a few wood ducks. Having to lose a few days a year to a cutoff, would seem an even balance if its going to help your success on the days you're able to hunt tidal water.
    I as much as anyone, do not want to throw more legislation and restraints to hunting, but i would certainly be willing to vote yes to a three year trial cut-off peroid for more ducks in my boat.

i wouldn't mind a vote for a "trial three year period" for a noon cutoff..after that everyone regroup, vote again and see if this has helped or not. I know the salt hunting is different, and would definelty put some folks not being able to hunt certain days, but anyone who hunts the salt, also almost always knows a place, if even on public water to go shoot a few wood ducks. Having to lose a few days a year to a cutoff, would seem an even balance if its going to help your success on the days you're able to hunt tidal water.
    I as much as anyone, do not want to throw more legislation and restraints to hunting, but i would certainly be willing to vote yes to a three year trial cut-off peroid for more ducks in my boat.
    Reasonable. No place for that in this thread. ��

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    dude. I know you like to pretend to be the resident scducks badass du jour but.....chill out. Its a forum...you know for discussion...not for butthurt angry little pricks. I was basically agreeing with you and further pointing out a couple other observations that should be thought about before throwing more statutes on the books. Which I'm sure a man of your intelligent has already thought about. Clearly you don't know dick about me, bo. but hey at least I supplied someone for you to internet badass on today. if you can be this much of child with someone who was basically agreeing with you and made no snarky comments and didn't question your clearly superior knowledge about duck hunting (scratch that about everything apparently) I really feel sorry for you.
    i giggled
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Cant say reason ducks arent in the Georgetown area no more but when you couldn't hunt the afternoon we sure had more ducks!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    Reasonable. No place for that in this thread. ��

all things considered, its going better than the CWS page.....

a cut off time would certainly help, but you will still have passels of people with MM's that are gonna "scout" till dark running ducks all over Gods green earth anyway....and i don't see a way to regulate that...
    Why did you feel the need to single out MMs? There are just as many idiots with outboards up and down the river doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Morning duck hunting should be banned bwhahaha FU thrice G.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    There are just as many idiots with outboards up and down the river doing the same thing.
    no doubt...

I own a MM, i feel like its been discussed on here, a 1000 times, MM's grant access to secluded pockets of water that would otherwise be unreachable, except by very small crafts. You're right, its not just MM, and I'm not lumping all MM owners as a whole, but rather the mindless hunters MM/outboads owners that run into every pocket of water they can get to in the name of "scouting"...but as I said, theres truly no way to regulate that. Personal responsibly is the only way to fix that, i think a lot of times about the main topics/threads here that pop up each and every season...

people setting up on other people
    rallying ducks/running ducks up to "scout"
    sky busting
    shooting swing ducks
    hunting etiquette in general....

At any given time, especially during duck season, there are just as many visitors on this site if not more than members. I know they read these threads that pop up almost daily, and you would think they would learn/ try to do better, but it seems almost every time i venture onto public land and run into people, the problems seem to get worse....because people only care about themselves and what they exploit from the resources....its sad that we need to make a law to cut off hunting to allow birds a time to rest, as it seems almost common sense...but as been proven people are not going to govern themselves for the good of the group/resources.

The last time I shot ducks in the evening was 28 years ago. Me and my buddy ended up with tickets for shooting waterfowl after hours. I believe back then it was $250 and half the points off my license. If you do a background check on me it still shows up.

It's darn near impossible to shoot a wood duck legally in the evenings. I haven't been back since.

There are just as many idiots with outboards up and down the river doing the same thing.
    This is the 1st line of defense for everyone with a mudmotor.

Prove it. Where? What body of water?
    Cooper? Impossible bc of vegetation and tides.
    Moultrie? Impossible bc of mainly stumps in waterfowl hunting areas.
    Marion? Impossible bc of stumps.

The ACE? Ducks are on the impoundments, we are hunting flight birds.
    The Delta? Same as above.

Where are outboards running up ducks?
    The floor is yours...
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Why did you feel the need to single out MMs? There are just as many idiots with outboards up and down the river doing the same thing.
    I’m sure there are people that stir up ducks with outboards but the number of loud no muffler, modded mud motors tearing ass across stump flats and back water areas is 100x more.

I used to hunt up at a private place in mattamuskeet that was gangbusters. It was rare that we didn't get a 4 man limit in the morning. Typically, you could be really picky with what you wanted to shoot and passed up a lot of small birds. If you did NOT get your limit in the morning, he would let you hunt in the afternoon. It was rare that we had a "good" afternoon hunt. Typically maybe 4-6 birds in the afternoon. Once shooting hours were over though, the sky was black with birds...

Original post on fb is a joke, it's now to the point they want to legalize baiting! There's a lot that needs to be fixed, but some of thoughts over there prove what's wrong with duck hunting here...