Thread: Dog Vest

Default Dog Vest

Looking for one for 82# Lab. Any input as to types or brands etc? Thanks in advance. SD

They are all about the same. Get some neoprene glue and cut it to fit.

Some people like the ones with zippers, but I don't. Most of my hunting is for summerducks in swamps. I've had dogs get hung up on limbs that would've been difficult for me to get to them in a hurry. With just the velcro, they can usually break free from the vest, but the zipper will have them stuck where they can't. Other than that, i think they are all very similar. Some have built in flotation, and some don't. If you hunt deep water, and your dog makes lots of long retrieves, that may be something to consider.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Most vests are made for standard sized Labs. I hunt with Shorthairs and even a modified Lab vest doesn't fit great. A vest that doesn't fit well is more likely to snag and it doesn't keep a dog as warm. This place will make a custom vest from your dogs measurements. www.benik.com/ They also make custom waders and neoprene hip boots. I am very happy with the dog vests they have made for me.

I've had a few vests. You want one that fits a little snug since that is going to keep more heat in. A loose fitting one isn't going to have the same benefit of keeping his core warm. The zipper ones are a pain when they are snug though. It's almost like a 2 man job to get it on. Once it is on, you are good. I think my favorite was an Avery that had "handles" on the top. It also had a couple of flotation patches built on the top of it which gave the dog a little more buoyancy. I like that feature since it's going to make it a bit easier for your dog in deeper water.

I have a basic neoprene vest that I used for years. Getting hung is something you definitely want to watch for. In my labs later years I would try to hunt him with nothing on, not even a collar for this reason. Had him manage to get his front foot through his collar somehow one day when he was jumping through thigh deep water or so. I was fortunately able to get to him bc it was definitely causing issues.
    If I was looking for a new vest some things I would want: handles, flotation if not too bulky, and reinforced chest plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabelas used to make one with a Kevlar chest plate, which is perfect for hard-charging dogs that launch into the water. The zipper finally broke and I have not been able to find one since. If anyone knows somebady still making the chest plate vests, post it up so I can get one for my new pup. Thanks, MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Cabelas used to make one with a Kevlar chest plate, which is perfect for hard-charging dogs that launch into the water. The zipper finally broke and I have not been able to find one since. If anyone knows somebady still making the chest plate vests, post it up so I can get one for my new pup. Thanks, MG
    I quickly glanced around and could not find anyone advertising the kevlar chest plates but several advertise "reinforced" chest.
    Orvis has one posted but the picture I think shows a drake logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info. Appreciate y'all taking the time. SD