Thread: Eagle Scouts

Default Eagle Scouts

How many of you still try to do a good turn daily?

Does resisting the urge to slap someone count as a good turn??

If so then I do several good turns a day
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Yea, but when they started messing with morally straight.
    I quit putting it on my resume.
    Last edited by Freemotor; 12-07-2017 at 08:41 AM.

I think plenty of people do good things without posting it on Facepage, social media, etc. Sure, I am nice to every single person I come in contact with on a daily basis. Hold doors, etc. Trivial things really. Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time and can REALLY change someone's day for the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

To be honest I hardly ever think about the “do a good turn daily”.
    However I do try to be polite and courteous to people and always do the right thing. But of course I fail at that sometimes as well.

It seems a couple years ago the Eagle Scout question came up on here and there were quite a few of us if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 12-07-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    To be honest I hardly ever think about the “do a good turn daily”.
    However I do try to be polite and courteous to people and always do the right thing. But of course I fail at that sometimes as well.

It seems a couple years ago the Eagle Scout question came up on here and there were quite a few of us if I remember correctly.
    There is a bunch of us on here.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I made Eagle in 1976 in Troop 10 in Columbia. Francis Herndon's leadership produced a ton of Eagle Scouts.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Thanks for the reminder JRL!

Like Steelin' Ducks I rarely think about "do a good turn daily" , at least as one of those reminders that rings in my head from Scouts.

I do reflect on the Scout Law though. A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. I'm far from perfect, but I do try to use those twelve points to help evaluate how to handle the situations I encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Freemotor View Post
    Yea, but when they started messing with morally straight.
    I quit putting it on my resume.
    Morally straight has nothing to do with your sexual proclivities, as "straight" was not a term for heterosexuals when the Scout Oath was created. A better meaning is likely "unwavering" or "unbending".

From a 1998 handbook.
    ". . . and morally straight.
    To be a person of strong character, your relationships with others should be honest and open. You should respect and defend the rights of all people. Be clean in your speech and actions, and remain faithful in your religious beliefs. The values you practice as a Scout will help you shape a life of virtue and self-reliance."

Or from a 1967 Handbook

On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.

"In the Scout Oath you will find a clear statement of what is expected of you as a Scout—your duty to God and your country, to other people, and to yourself.

Duty to God and Country. Your parents and religious leaders teach you to know and love God, and the ways in which you can serve Him. By following these teachings in your daily life, you do your duty to God as a Scout. Our country- was built upon a trust in God. As you look back into the past, you learn about men and women who toiled to make our America, who gave their lives for it when called upon, who raised it to where it is today. It is your duty to carry this work forward by working for your country's welfare, by obeying its laws, by showing your loyalty to its government.

Duty to Other People
    . There are many people who need a pair of young shoulders to help them with their burdens. A cheery smile and a helpful hand may serve to make life easier for someone who is weak or old, for a woman or a child. By obeying the Scout Law and by doing a Good Turn daily, you prove yourself a Scout and do your part to make this a happier world.

Duty to Self. You owe it to yourself to take care of your body, to protect it and to build it so that it will serve you and make it possible for you to help others. You owe it to yourself to develop the brains that were given you, by striving to increase your knowledge and by making the best possible use of your abilities. You owe it to yourself to aim to become a man of strong character, ready to take your place in the world as a capable citizen. "

Dang, that sounds like an awful lot of pressure. I just wanna drink a few beers and be left the hell alone.

I was taught to not pass judgment.
    I have to ask do you not feel homosexuality strays from Christian values?
    I also have to ask do you not see the problems that might arise from the inclusivity. (Solely for profit)
    With all respect tone is hard to convey tone via digital messaging.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/3...ww.google.com/

Got a nephew that was an Eagle. He flunked out of Sakkerliner, drives my late father's 22yo S-10, has blue hair, tattoos, holes in his face, lives in a run down single wide with 5 cats, smokes dope and works in a convenience store. He's pretty much a worthless hunk of shit. I wish I could force the little fucker into the Marine Corps but, they'd kick him out or kill him day 1.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Is a "turn" the same as a "trick"?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I made Eagle in 1976 in Troop 10 in Columbia. Francis Herndon's leadership produced a ton of Eagle Scouts.
    1983 Troop 10 with Francis Herndon