Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Suggestions? ~ .243 w/1:10 Twist

Default Ammo Suggestions? ~ .243 w/1:10 Twist

I finally got the barrel channel cleaned out to eliminate the stock pressure that was on the lower right of the barrel at the last few inches of the wood stock. Also cleaned out the center ridge the Tikkas have that support the barrel for the first 6-8" in front of the action. Currently it is supposedly only on the synthetic stocks, but the wood stocks also used to have them (this is an M558 Deluxe). So the barrel is now fully free-floated. It has an aluminum action block, but is not bedded, fwiw.

Beretta/Tikka will tell you that removing this ridge can cause accuracy issues, and will void any warranty claim for accuracy, etc, but my recent reading indicates that very few people have regretted doing it on wood and synthetic alike... but YMMV.

Anyway, I've confirmed that this .243 has a 1:10 twist barrel, unfortunately. It is fairly accurate with 70 gr BT's (.62 MOA off sand bags), but I wanted to use it for deer and was going to use 100 gr bullets. I have only had a chance to put a couple of 100 gr Sierra GK's on target @ 50 yds, so can't really confirm how they will shoot.

It's my understanding that the 100 gr round is at the upper limit for the 1:10 twist. Unfortunately, I can get some very good factory Sako ammo at this weight, but...

I do not reload, so what factory ammo might you guys who know the .243 recommend in the 80-95 gr range?

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If I'm shooting a pussy caliber I'd shoot a barnes tsx bullet.

Barnes tsx

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Try Federal Premium in a 95 or 100gr offering. Try to find a load with a Ballistic Tip or a Sierra Pro Hunter
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Should shoot the ttsx or a 87berger vld fine
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammuni...ccubond/p243a1
    I've shot these and 100 gr. Nosler Partitions by the same brand. I get tighter groups with 85-90 gr. bullets compared to 100 gr.

If you don't want to break the bank, I've nailed head shots on does between 150 and 200 yds using 100 gr. Remington Core-lokts.

I've killed lots of deer with Winchester ballistic tip factory ammo. I think anything with a 90grain nosler ballistic tip (nosler, Winchester, federal), Berger VLD, or even a deer season xp will work great. Some folks swear by the the Barnes ttsx but I cant vouch for those in 6mm. Never used em in that cal.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Shooting a Berger 95grn CH over 45.5grn RL22 in my 700 now, it's pretty decent. I had a load of 46grn of H4831sc under a 90grn NBT that was great in my Savage 11 Predator. Should have never sold that gun.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Griffin, I have a dozen or so 80 gr TTSX rounds that one of the guys here sent me awhile back, but that was when I discovered the stock problem since nothing above 70 gr would group worth a dang and haven't had a chance to shoot them since fixing it last weekend. I'll see how those look as soon as I can get some time with a target.

Quote Originally Posted by papagood View Post
    http://www.federalpremium.com/ammuni...ccubond/p243a1
    I've shot these and 100 gr. Nosler Partitions by the same brand. I get tighter groups with 85-90 gr. bullets compared to 100 gr.

If you don't want to break the bank, I've nailed head shots on does between 150 and 200 yds using 100 gr. Remington Core-lokts.
    I've got some Federal Premium 100 gr Nosler Partitions along with the good ol' 100 gr Core-Lokts. I would expect the lighter bullets will be more accurate, as in your experience. However, since the kid who may be using this rifle won't be shooting past 200 yds or so I suppose a 1.5-2 MOA grouping would still work.

My other thought, possibly a mistaken one, was that I might want the heavier bullets for longer range shooting at coyotes. There's two locations I hunt that a 400-500 yd shot is quite possible, and I'm thinking the 70 gr round will about be out of gas at those distances. Don't know since I've never done it, but it seems to make sense. Yay, nay?

SW, I'll tell the 10 yr old, "100 lb wet", neighbor kid who may be shooting this rifle that he's a pussy. Will that make you feel better? I could always give him my 7mm-08 with Reduced Recoil loads and I can grab my '06, but since you knew enough to recommend the TSX bullet for it I'm guessing you use this 'pussy caliber', also. Do you also wear your pink camo when doing so?

Here's an interesting review about "The Best .243 Ammo for Deer" I just came across some of you may like reading...

http://www.epicwilderness.com/best-2...-deer-hunting/

Here's also an excellent and detailed article regarding the history of the .243, but more importantly, some very detailed commentary on the pros and cons of the numerous bullet styles and offerings in this caliber. A good read for the curious.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...inchester.html

One load I've been looking for since I have had so much success with it in 7mm-08 is the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in the 95 gr load. Nobody seems to carry it and even the 7mm-08 is rarely in stock locally, but I'll check again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Added... tman, Saltydog, I missed your posts as I was writing when you posted. Yes, as noted above, I like the Winchester BST's a lot, just have to find some. The same with the Deer Season XP loads. Nobody seems to have them, but will check again with Grady's. Salty and Griffin, I've never used a VLD so know nothing about the bullet... will need to read up on them.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-06-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    ~ George Washington

The ruger 243 I have shoots the Barnes very well
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Should shoot the ttsx or a 87berger vld fine
    How do the 87’s robin deer? Thinking about loading some for kids.

I have killed a slough of deer with Winchester 100gr. Power Point CXP2 factory ammo. Most DRT or went 30+/- yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    I have killed a slough of deer with Winchester 100gr. Power Point CXP2 factory ammo. Most DRT or went 30+/- yards.
    I've used it in 30-06 before, but the 100 gr load in .243 most likely won't group as well with this 1:10 twist.
    ~ George Washington

Woodie , run those Barnes again. If they don't run try the 90 ballistic tip. I killed a pile of deer and pigs with both when I was toting a youth model that I modified for a young man that I was raising. I can't lie that I sometimes preferred carrying it when I was in the thick and he in school.. Great cartridge period.
    Genesis 9;2

Will do, Strick. I just didn't want to waste them until I knew I had a stable barrel and was zeroed in, even if I hadn't found the optimum load yet. I'll let you know how they come out.

I just put an order in for some stuff at Natchez and had the Deer Season XP 95 gr box in my cart and as I went to check out they ran out of stock... Poof! It and the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips appears to be popular. Those were all out of stock, too.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    ~ George Washington

I've got the same gun. Granted, I've never shot factory, but the following bullets have done good to very good, as far as accuracy.

80 gr Sierra Game King
    87 gr Hornady Vmax
    95 gr Nosler BT
    95 gr Berger VLD
    100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter (this is a flat base bullet, its shorter and easier to stabilize than some other heavies)

Mine didn't like the Barnes at all, wish it did. Tried the 105 amax out of curiosity, wouldn't stabilize them.

I shoot some 87 and 95 gr. Hornady projectiles out of a couple different handloads.

My deer hunting round is a 95gr SST. I put them in the neck area and they perform very well out to my hunting distances. On paper, they are extremely accurate out of my 1970's Ruger M77.

When I was at Clemson, my dad had picked up some 105gr projectiles that I'm pretty sure were Barnes. That 1:10 didn't like them at all. Keyholes all over the place.

95gr, in my experience, is the top of the actual accurate range. The smaller, the better, really.

As for the SST's, I've never been a fan of them other than their extreme accuracy. I don't know that I've ever had an exit wound with my ~2460fps handloads. So, I'll continue putting them in the neck because I can.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I've been pondering getting a 243 again but the caliber is getting a bit obsolete with the new bullet designs and weights in 6mm. Do any of the major mfg's make a .243 without the 1:10 twist? What about the 6mm Creedmoor compared to the .243?
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

Quote Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
    Not wanting to hijack this thread but I've been pondering getting a 243 again but the caliber is getting a bit obsolete with the new bullet designs and weights in 6mm. Do any of the major mfg's make a .243 without the 1:10 twist? What about the 6mm Creedmoor compared to the .243?
    Creedmore > .243. Every. Single. Time.

The only downfall is ammunition availability. And, even that has been mostly alleviated as of late.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Barnes 80 or 85 Grain bullets or 100 Grain Sierra Gamekings
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."