Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Farmer Suicide Numbers

  1. #1
    Mergie Master's Avatar
    Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Saluca (not Saluda)
    Posts
    68,912

    Default Farmer Suicide Numbers

    "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." ▬ Edmund Ruffin

    "No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim." --W. Emerson Wright

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgetown, SC
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Damn, pretty interesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hartsville
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Another psychological factor I think is that some farmers feel a duty to farm because their father or family farmed, and not because they have a passion for it or any real desire to lead a life of a farmer.

    I see young men, my townsmen, whose misfortune it is to have inherited farms, houses, barns, cattle, and farming tools; for these are more easily acquired than got rid of. Better if they had been born in the open pasture and suckled by a wolf, that they might have seen with clearer eyes what field they were called to labor in. Who made them serfs of the soil?

    Henry David Thoreau
    Last edited by Ghetto; 12-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Colliers Community
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Sadly, it is a part of the business. Financial stress, failures, burdens of upkeep, etc. seem to be the main culprits. Never thought I'd see it in my footprint, but I did have a customer take his life a year or so ago. He was bitter for many easons and could not face his farm's failures. Unfortunately, he placed much of he blame on his wife and kids the day it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    united states of america
    Posts
    14,043

    Default

    Sounds like he was a self centered asshole.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Colliers Community
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    No one ever accused him of being Mr Nice Guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    15,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Sounds like he was a self centered asshole.
    Preach....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Catdaddy is the MSNBC of SCDucks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Branchville
    Posts
    3,393

    Default

    It is always easy to judge from the outside. Even those that have dealt with it within their family are still on the outside looking in through a foggy window at best. I am not saying that I am ok with it in any way shape or form. I actually think it is a terrible thing, and a sin to take your own life, or the life of another. My opinion is, they are just as sick (mentaly) as someone who purposely kills any innocent person. They obviously are not thinking clearly if they have gotten to the point in their life that they see no other option. We can hate them and curse them till the end of time, but we shall never be the true judge of them. I have seen it to many times in the short time I have lived. I have seen what it can do to families, and it is not pretty. Yes, it is easy for us to say how selfish they were to do something like that, but we were not in their shoes.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

    Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgetown, SC
    Posts
    5,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    It is always easy to judge from the outside. Even those that have dealt with it within their family are still on the outside looking in through a foggy window at best. I am not saying that I am ok with it in any way shape or form. I actually think it is a terrible thing, and a sin to take your own life, or the life of another. My opinion is, they are just as sick (mentaly) as someone who purposely kills any innocent person. They obviously are not thinking clearly if they have gotten to the point in their life that they see no other option. We can hate them and curse them till the end of time, but we shall never be the true judge of them. I have seen it to many times in the short time I have lived. I have seen what it can do to families, and it is not pretty. Yes, it is easy for us to say how selfish they were to do something like that, but we were not in their shoes.
    Preach...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    28,681

    Default

    they'll never catch up with dentists....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    they'll never catch up with dentists....
    You may be an asshole, but I expect you love you as much as I love me.

    If so, you'll not meet your end by your own hand.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    28,681

    Default

    hell no. I got ducks.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,657

    Default

    My phone must be broke.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    28,681

    Default

    i'll call you if i lose my ducks

    isnt that what friends are for?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    debt makes some people worth more dead than alive
    "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." Nathaniel Hawthorne

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blythewood
    Posts
    15,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'll call you if i lose my ducks

    isnt that what friends are for?
    That sounds about right.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg
    Posts
    38,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    hell no. I got ducks.
    You misspelled mergansers.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You misspelled mergansers.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Wateree, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I got ducks.
    Y'all out of 4 wheeler gas or what? I can drop some off this afternoon...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    28,681

    Default

    these are bg ducks. and my dad aint around to block the roads....so some trees magically fell near the ponds. no one is messing with them.

    and I have ringnecks for the first time in our ponds history (30 years). I reckon they may leave but we gonna shoot them saturday just for fun.

    I am not a mallard purist (bc I dont have many mallards---maybe a dozen)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •