Thread: A serious dumb question...

Default A serious dumb question...

I hunt alot of moving water areas with alot of vegetation. What's happing is vegetation is locking on to my deeks and I believe it's causing the birds not to decoy right. My plan was to rig some kind of pvc pipe with bolts through it to stretch across up current to catch the vegetation. Am i waisting my time? Does the vegetation around the deeks even matter? Thoughts....
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Set your decoys in an eddy where ducks would be likely to sit anyway. Cut back on how many decoys you use.

If the vegetation is what I think it is you will be suprised how much drag builds up in short order if you try to snag it upstream.

Try decoys without keels?

Weeds on your decoys has nothing to do with birds decoying. I’ve had so much weeds build up on my decoys they were actually getting pulled downstream, however the ducks still would land in my spread.

Just put out 7 mojos and about a dozen flock a flickers.
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Try decoys without keels?
    I was thinking this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the decoy line catching it. Keel-less decoys wont help. Even in current submerged vegetation will ride up the line to the decoy. Put coots at the top of the spread to catch grass. Just my opinion
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Back when I hunted coastal, tidal creeks, floating marsh grass ran me nuts, especially on gang rigs.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

If you smoke it all you won't have any problems or at least you won't care! You might get the munchies though.

I hope you are kidding about the vagatation. Whoops. spelled it wrong. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBKO(I*JU&HRF$%#@
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    Its the decoy line catching it. Keel-less decoys wont help. Even in current submerged vegetation will ride up the line to the decoy. Put coots at the top of the spread to catch grass. Just my opinion
    I like that idea. I personally don’t think the vegetation keeps the ducks from decoying though. If it’s driving you crazy and want to try something different I know they make decoy mats with one line which is connected to a heavy anchor that may help, assuming you’re hunting with a current