Thread: Gunsmithing Tools

Default Gunsmithing Tools

I'm in the market for a nice set of gunsmith screwdrivers and punches, not looking for a major toolset just want good quality that will last me for years to come. What brands do I need to be looking at, Lyman, Wheeler, etc?

Or if you've got a link to a set you really like please post it up
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Brownell's is my usual go-to for basic general purpose tools. MidwayUSA is second.

Off the top of my head, recommendations for the BASICS:
    • A good multi-bit screwdriver set. I have always liked the Brownells Magna-Tip stuff. Good, hollow ground... they, like any, WILL break, but you can buy individual replacements. Don't overlook stuff like Allen and Torx bits, and any specialty bits your guns need.
    • A good small hammer. I like the ones with a brass face on one side and a nylon face on the other.
    • A pin punch set.
    • A set of small jewelers screwdrivers
    • A bench block - multi-purpose, nylon.
    • If you work on guns requiring such, a set of roll pin punches.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 12-04-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

A Wheeler torque screwdriver will always be handy. You can get them with or without the bits.

A bench vise with padded jaws, and/or one of the better table-top gun vise setups.

If you're going to be mounting scopes, at least get the Wheeler scope level set. Better yet would be the scope mounting kit that includes the full set of alignment bars, levels, etc.

Specify what kind of work and what types of guns you think you'll be working on and I think people can get more specific on specialty stuff, such as roo pin starter punches for guns like AR's, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Thanks

Honestly, that's a lot more than I was really thinking about and probably more than I really need.
    Mainly I'm looking for the a high quality multibit set and the hammer and punches in a set that I can have in the house so I don't have to go digging through my truck or or toolboxes in the shop looking for stuff when I get ready to do something to a gun. I've got a mat and I use a shooting vise to set the gun in if I'm changing scopes or something. I've tinkered with some triggers before but I'm not doing any honest-to-God smithwork.

I'll check out the Magna-tip stuff
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Wheeler screwdriver set will work, I have both Brownells and Wheeler torque wrench.

None of the items above are just for 'serious gunsmiths'. It's pretty much all basic stuff for working on most firearms. If you aren't going to work on AR's, you could pretty much skip the roll pin starter punches, and if you aren't going to work on handguns you could get away with making your own jig out of a piece of 2x4 vs the 'bench block. If you're working on scopes, you can rig your own alignment pipe/dowel, etc, and save yourself $75 or so, but it is handy to at least get the Wheeler scope level set for $15. For years I jury-rigged small carpenter levels using rubber bands and rulers, but these magnet based levels make it much easier.

Either way, have fun, and be safe.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

get brownells to send you a catalog, i don't care much for their on-line site, find it hard to navigate...
    Last edited by scswamprat; 12-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.