Thread: Trapping

Default Trapping

Anybody setting traps this week? I have all mine ready to go. I am going to try to set them before the weekend.

I need some quick tips... We have about 15 coons and 2-3 bobcats and a few coyotes that need to be eradicated.

Default Trapping

Set Friday. Couple of coons, possum, and 1 grey so far. Need some cool weather to hurry up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bcastin; 12-04-2017 at 05:50 AM.

I have had a problem with coons going into my hog fences where I keep deer cob corn and eating the you know what out of it. I got tired of feeding 8 or more coons a night and recently bought 3 Duke's Dog proof coon traps on Ebay for less than $35 including free shipping. I made a setting tool instead of buying one and set the traps Friday PM at my hunt club. I used just a little bit of peanut butter on the trigger inside. The next morning I had caught 3 coons to my amazement. These things work great and are easy to use. I have many more to go.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Dog proof traps are the easiest for coons.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Coons are easy. You could trap all 15 in a week or two no problem.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Like I said in previous post I am still learning. Only been at it for 2 years. I have always set single sets. Thinking of doing a couple of double sets in a few spots. I am seeing a lot of pairs on my game cameras. For those of you that trap and set doubles: How far between the two traps? Double dirt holes? Double flats? or a dirt hole and a flat set?

if it's a good looking location or i see lots of tracks i'll set a double set. if not i do one and keep moving to the next spot. flat sets are cool because they dont have anything to dig at. with a dirt hole sometimes they'll dig from behind or the side and not get caught. flat set he'll just keep walking around nosing that spot trying to see where the smell is coming from. go easy on the smells. they'll roll in it if it's too loud. just enough to get his curiosity going. i caught one last year on a flat set that sat 9 days before it caught. i think sometimes it takes a day or 2 to let the smell mellow out a little bit. caught a double last year and one was a flat and the other was like a trench set, but basically a dirt hole, just modified a little lol.

Hefty female caught yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Boy!!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

That’s a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    I have had a problem with coons going into my hog fences where I keep deer cob corn and eating the you know what out of it. I got tired of feeding 8 or more coons a night and recently bought 3 Duke's Dog proof coon traps on Ebay for less than $35 including free shipping. I made a setting tool instead of buying one and set the traps Friday PM at my hunt club. I used just a little bit of peanut butter on the trigger inside. The next morning I had caught 3 coons to my amazement. These things work great and are easy to use. I have many more to go.

Stick a marshmallow down in it, it's a lot cleaner and you can snack while you are putting them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

You stop that, stop that right now .

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

We’ve had two traps set for about a week. I shot one with the 5.56 Sunday morning prouncing through my front yard at 9:45. Nasty critter. Most hair was gone on hind quarters
    Go Tigers!!!