Thread: Can dogs contract Lyme?

Default Can dogs contract Lyme?

Pulled a tick from my pup yesterday and checked the spot today, it appears to be a perfect target rash around the site. Plan to make a vet appt first thing in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Yes. There is a vaccine for dogs.

I had two shorthairs contract it while in a field trial in Georgia. The female went lame and the male went lame and his 'nads swelled up the size of lemons. A dose of antibiotics had them back on track in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I had two shorthairs contract it while in a field trial in Georgia. The female went lame and the male went lame and his 'nads swelled up the size of lemons. A dose of antibiotics had them back on track in a week or so.
    How quick was the reaction after the bite?

She seems fine this morning, business as usual.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    How quick was the reaction after the bite?

She seems fine this morning, business as usual.
    It was pretty quick. As well as I remember, they were showing symptoms early during the week after the weekend field trial.

Lyme is notorious for acting differently in different hosts. Personally, with the distinct ring around the bite, I wouldn't be comfortable until I got a vet to do a blood test or just give the antibiotics.

There is a vaccination for Lyme. Not sure of the efficacy or odds but my dogs get it every year.

Vet gave 14 days of doxycycline as a precaution because she agreed the bite looked suspicious. No blood work, just treats and a nail trim for good measure.