Thread: Dense forest food plots

Default Dense forest food plots

What are y'all planting for areas like this. The tract I have is 95% wooded and only scrub brush can be removed. There are two log landings that we plant and where I would like to plant is tractor accessible by old logging roads. But the canopy is so thick in the past once the leaves fall it smuggled out the plots. Tips and advice?
    Non Supporting Member

Leaf blower.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

For Spring planting in narrow roads or paths in the woods, I plant Aeschynomene which is a vetch. The leaves remind me of a Mimosa tree. It is very high in protein and once deer get used to it they will devour it. It grows great in shaded areas. I once killed a nice 8 point coming out of a field where I had it planted. When I walked up on him, I thought he had a tumor in his mouth. Both sides looked like he had a softball stuck in his cheeks. I opened his mouth and discovered it was aeschynomene. I have never seen another deer do this. I called my friend Luther Wannamaker and told him I had a picture that he was going to pay me $5000 for and told him the story and that he could put the picture on the front of a mailer and sell tons of the stuff. This was back when you actually had film to develop and some low life broke in to my truck on a trip to Charlotte and stole the camera and film.

In Fall, I would plant Durana clover or turnips.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Thick forest = trematodes = you're fucked